Harris Teeter

SamSpade

Does you all's new HT have coffee beans and a grinder or just bagged coffee?

You know what? I *just* realized that stores do this less and less anymore - have a grinder handy for grinding beans into bags.
Now I am going to have to check, but I'd forgotten that this was the way I ALWAYS did my coffee - and every since Keurig -
I've stopped.

stgislander

PREMO Member
You know what? I *just* realized that stores do this less and less anymore - have a grinder handy for grinding beans into bags.
Now I am going to have to check, but I'd forgotten that this was the way I ALWAYS did my coffee - and every since Keurig -
I've stopped.

I remember as a little kid, it was always a treat for mom to let me operate the coffee grinder at the A&P.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's getting harder and harder to find beans and a grinder, which is a shame because that is the best smell in the world. HEB in Texas has bean bins and grinders, and in my travels I can sometimes find a gourmet coffee shop that sells fresh ground coffee, also the Wegman's here in Scranton has one. You'd think Publix, Giant, all the major grocery chains would have that option.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD???

I remember as a little kid, it was always a treat for mom to let me operate the coffee grinder at the A&P.

Me too. There was a grinder at the end of every checkout line. You'd buy the beans and grind it on your way out the door.

I have a small grinder and buy nothing but whole roasted beans.
20180820_120536.jpg

stgislander

PREMO Member
Although it won't help Vrai, I remember McKay's in Leonardtown having a grinder for the beans they sell. It's been probably close to a year since I've been there, but I'm guessing they still have it.

SamSpade

I think most folks who grind, the point of which is freshness, right, want to grind at home.

And that's what I do should someone gift me with beans, or I see a bag of beans and I want to purchase (say, a visit to an Ethiopian restaurant where they are selling Ethiopian coffee),
I have a small grinder I've had for years.

But pretty much EVERY store I can recall shopping at had one in their coffee department, and until Vrai asked, it had not occurred to me I haven't seen one in years.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well, back in the day most folks had those old style percolator coffee makers, either the old standby aluminum with the glass bubble or the fancy electric one. There were none of those fancy smanchy coffee makers of today. Eight 'oClock coffee was the bean of the day needing grinding at the A&P register. Add in those K-cup machines, coffee pod machines, a Starbucks on nearly every corner or a Mom & Pop coffee shop, etc. Who has time to need ground, or to grind, coffee today, so thinks the marketers and purveyors of that dried roasted delicious berry? Let's just make it easy for them, they say, and get those lazy basterds to buy the stuff we make for them to consume in the unrepairable throwaway machines we produce to have a limited lifespan. But first, we'll have to convince all the stores that have them, to get rid of those DIY coffee grinders and sell our prepackaged goods instead. I think they have succeeded.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

glhs837

Power with Control
I used to have one of those but now that space is limited in the motorhome it's a no-go. Plus the sound drives Apollo batty.

Yeah, it is pretty noisy. Mine dont care, but I usually got one or two loud power tools going once or twice a week.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It's getting harder and harder to find beans and a grinder, which is a shame because that is the best smell in the world. HEB in Texas has bean bins and grinders, and in my travels I can sometimes find a gourmet coffee shop that sells fresh ground coffee, also the Wegman's here in Scranton has one. You'd think Publix, Giant, all the major grocery chains would have that option.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD???

close, but the best smell was that first wiff when the can opener went into the tin of coffee.

close, but the best smell was that first wiff when the can opener went into the tin of coffee.

Well, not trying to one-up, but the best coffee I ever smelled was walking into Fulton's Market in NYC. There were bags and bags of burlap, fresh roasted coffee of every variety everywhere. The smell was just incredible. Have never smelled anything like that since.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I drink flavored coffees - chocolate raspberry, coconut, cinnamon, etc. The best coffee I ever had was a maple roast at Speeder & Earl's in Burlington, VT. It smelled amazing and the flavor was pure and natural. When you walked into the shop the smell of coffee made you want to get into jammies and crawl in bed. I'd make the trip back to Burlington just to get some more of that coffee.

GregV814

in the old Rosenblatts grocery store on Kenilworth Avenue in what used to be called RIVERDALE you could grind your own sausage....of course some old drunk bastard minced his ring finger trying to grab his wedding band......some of that is made up...LOL