Sailboat vs. Powerboat.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I also wondered about that over the weekend. I read somewhere that the Captain of the charter boat has a couple of DUIs. Not sure if this has any bearing since it hasn't yet been determined whether alcohol was involved by either party.

It's been a while since I revisited the rules of the road, but doesn't a sailboat under sail have right of way? Which makes this the powerboat's fault?

If it were power instead of sail, the fishing boat would have had right of way, right?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's been a while since I revisited the rules of the road, but doesn't a sailboat under sail have right of way? Which makes this the powerboat's fault?

If it were power instead of sail, the fishing boat would have had right of way, right?

I do not know.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Yes. They still have to do an official investigation, though.

black dog

Free America
Someone needs to read Chapman's Book.. They are lucky they didn't get hit by the hull or the broken boom...

As a kid we were having a party on the beach behind my mother's home on the Magothy and we watched two young men operating a Hydrostream do the same but continued over the other boat, to a older couple sitting at anchor fishing in a 17' Boston Whaler. The Whaler lost some glass and a bit of stainless. The Hydrostream lost its bottom and sunk to just below the surface, a bunch of us dragged it to skinny water after DNR and the Coast guard were done with the two drunks in the Hydrostream. Luckily no one was killed.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Many, many, many times. Too many to count. I've seen boats supposedly "under sail" running with their engine doing the actual locomotion of the vessel. They be cheating to appear to have the right-of-way. Many sailboaters are just plain snobbish, prudish na na na na nana asshats. Good to see one take one broadside. Been fishing for spring rock with full spreads, and still these asses will try to push a right-of-way match up when they can see a good half a mile, or better, the track of a fishing vessel with rods in the water. Nearly did a broadside on one myself till I sounded the horn loud and clear I wasn't moving my track.

Midnightrider

If I may ...

Many, many, many times. Too many to count. I've seen boats supposedly "under sail" running with their engine doing the actual locomotion of the vessel. They be cheating to appear to have the right-of-way. Many sailboaters are just plain snobbish, prudish na na na na nana asshats. Good to see one take one broadside. Been fishing for spring rock with full spreads, and still these asses will try to push a right-of-way match up when they can see a good half a mile, or better, the track of a fishing vessel with rods in the water. Nearly did a broadside on one myself till I sounded the horn loud and clear I wasn't moving my track.

that boat had both sails up. I can honestly say i haven't seen many if any sailboats under power while having both sails up. Not to mention they were on a tack and it was blowing 10-15 that day.
If you dont like the rules you shouldn't be out on the water.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Rule 8 always comes into play at some point.

–INLAND–
Steering and Sailing Rules
RULE 8
Action to Avoid Collision
(a) Any action taken to avoid collision shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be positive, made in ample time and with due regard to the observance of good seamanship.
(b) Any alteration of course or speed to avoid collision shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be large enough to be readily apparent to another vessel observing visually or by radar; a succession of small alterations of course or speed should be avoided.
(c) If there is sufficient sea room, alteration of course alone may be the most effective action to avoid a close-quarters situation provided that it is made in good time, is substantial and does not result in another close-quarters situation.
(d) Action taken to avoid collision with another vessel shall be such as to result in passing at a safe distance. The effectiveness of the action shall be carefully checked until the other vessel is finally past and clear.
(e) If necessary to avoid collision or allow more time to assess the situation, a vessel shall slacken her speed or take all way off by stopping or reversing her means of propulsion.
(f)
(i) A vessel which, by any of these rules, is required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel shall, when required by the circumstances of the case, take early action to allow sufficient sea room for the safe passage of the other vessel.
(ii) A vessel required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel is not relieved of this obligation if approaching the other vessel so as to involve risk of collision and shall, when taking action, have full regard to the action which may be required by the rules of this part.
(iii) A vessel, the passage of which is not to be impeded remains fully obliged to comply with the rules of this part when the two vessels are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

that boat had both sails up. I can honestly say i haven't seen many if any sailboats under power while having both sails up. Not to mention they were on a tack and it was blowing 10-15 that day.
If you dont like the rules you shouldn't be out on the water.

Never said I don't like the rules. I adhere and follow all navigation rules, and am anally on watch constantly for other vessels while under way. But there are always those asses that think they are better than though that deserve a comeuppance every now and again. Especially those powerboat, making up for a short manhood with penis envy little men, navigating their 40 to 50+ vessels coming through a bevy of spring trollers at wake speed to create those 3-4 foot wave wakes. Would love to see some of those sink, (accidentally), at their docks.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Never said I don't like the rules. I adhere and follow all navigation rules, and am anally on watch constantly for other vessels while under way. But there are always those asses that think they are better than though that deserve a comeuppance every now and again. Especially those powerboat, making up for a short manhood with penis envy little men, navigating their 40 to 50+ vessels coming through a bevy of spring trollers at wake speed to create those 3-4 foot wave wakes. Would love to see some of those sink, (accidentally), at their docks.

I was cleating spring lines on my Morgan at pier seven to have dinner at Crab Cafe long ago and a few fellows that just docked a big fountian were walking by and when walking by me made a comment to " Save the bay, Sink a sailboat " After walking by I saw that statement was embroidered on the back of his jacket. I responded with he didn't have the intelligence to make a sailboat move forward and it didn't take much brains to turn a key and push two levers forward. Game on.....
If you really want to meet power boat a$$holes, take the intercoastal to Miami, Ft Lauderdale.

Gross Tonnage always wins..

Last edited:

willie

About the only thing that trumps a sailboat under sail is a highly maneuverable vessel like a freighter. The sailboat captain stated that they tried to avoid the collision, the power boat captain needs a good lawyer.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

About the only thing that trumps a sailboat under sail is a highly maneuverable vessel like a freighter. The sailboat captain stated that they tried to avoid the collision, the power boat captain needs a good lawyer.

Doesn't things like this fall under maritime law? Open question to anyone with the knowledge.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If I may ...

Doesn't things like this fall under maritime law? Open question to anyone with the knowledge.

There are times, yes. When it involves freighters, international trade/waters, stuff like that. This case is domestic, though.