Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie RV driver

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    We had a 24' "toy hauler" camper for a while but didn't use it near as much as we hoped or thought we would. It only held the two ATVs. We always had to use two tow rigs...one for the camper and another for hauling the offroad trucks. Sold that camper and bought a nice little used slide-in pickup camper to mount on front of our 34' gooseneck flatbed trailer. Now we can haul camper and offroad truck and at least one ATV, all with one tow rig. If we can ever find the time to get away.....
    When my son and I used to hit the Hatfield & McCoy trails with our 4 wheelers, I saw quite a few fifth wheel flatbeds that had a small trailer or a pop-up one the front of the trailer and the back was used for hauling off road toys and once camping was used as a deck for cooking , eating and relaxing on. It seemed like it worked well.
    No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    We had a 24' "toy hauler" camper for a while but didn't use it near as much as we hoped or thought we would. It only held the two ATVs. We always had to use two tow rigs...one for the camper and another for hauling the offroad trucks. Sold that camper and bought a nice little used slide-in pickup camper to mount on front of our 34' gooseneck flatbed trailer. Now we can haul camper and offroad truck and at least one ATV, all with one tow rig. If we can ever find the time to get away.....
    isn't bigger, better?
    With something like this, https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/398m you could take the staff away on weekends...entertainment expense
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    When my son and I used to hit the Hatfield & McCoy trails with our 4 wheelers, I saw quite a few fifth wheel flatbeds that had a small trailer or a pop-up one the front of the trailer and the back was used for hauling off road toys and once camping was used as a deck for cooking , eating and relaxing on. It seemed like it worked well.
    And ours being a hydraulic dovetail trailer....makes the camper access nice and easy too. The larger toy hauler was nice, no doubt, with full shower in bathroom etc...but we did fine for many years camping out of tents.

My mother bought a Minnie Winnie 300 Class C last year, a '97 model. That's a nice sized rig and can tow a boat or moderately-sized vehicle behind it. She bought it for any of us "kids" to use but since its kept at our Virginia property, it's out of reach for us up here in MD. My sister and her bf use it...she's used to hauling large stock trailers behind a big dually, so wheeling the Winnie around is second-nature to her.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 08-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Blog Entries
    This guy was a few spots over from us in Montana. Who says you can't take it all with you?

Name:  281.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  85.9 KB

This was an Army family doing a PCS move from Florida to Alaska. They had at least 2 kids with them. They stowed their sleeping bags in 1 of their coolers. While driving in the rain, somehow water got in and soaked the sleeping bags. The mom was in the bath house trying to dry them with the hand dryers. I thought they should just get a hotel room and take the bags to a laundromat. But they were super frugal people and not going to spend more money than was necessary.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Very cool. I moved a ton of stuff on government orders back in 85...only one child along though. Still..pinched every penny..
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    This guy was a few spots over from us in Montana. Who says you can't take it all with you?

Name:  281.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  85.9 KB

This was an Army family doing a PCS move from Florida to Alaska. They had at least 2 kids with them. They stowed their sleeping bags in 1 of their coolers. While driving in the rain, somehow water got in and soaked the sleeping bags. The mom was in the bath house trying to dry them with the hand dryers. I thought they should just get a hotel room and take the bags to a laundromat. But they were super frugal people and not going to spend more money than was necessary.
    They are missing Granny Clampett on top. That's a long drive.
    My sons graduation from infantry school is next wed morning, he's pissed that he has no leave and the Corps will not pay for anything to be shipped to him for his first post in fleet.
    Graduation is next wed morning at 8:30 am and I get maybe 30 min with him after.
    Shortly after grad, the other 0352 mos boys and my son are on a plane to LA and then bus to 29 Palms. Looks like more school and more mos's for those 18 young men.
    I guess his truck will stay in Indiana until I either drive it or ship it to him, or he buys a hooptie for the next 1-2 years. He was hoping for Hawaii or Okinawa, The rest of Delta class are 0311 and 0331 boys and they are staying at Lejune.
    I don't miss my life being in two sea bags and a ruck.
    No one cares.

Members who have read this thread: 58