Atlantic Broadband throttling Netflix?

glhs837

Power with Control
Had some issues with dropped connections. Replaced the modem and splitter, wired part of the network is fine for computing and sons gaming. But it seems in the last two weeks or so, Netflix has become unwatchable. Huge amount of errors, buffering like crazy every 5-15 minutes. Got to wondering if ABB is maybe throttling Netflix. Anyone else?

PeoplesElbow

Sunday morning for about 10 minutes nothing would play on Netflix, then after that it was fine.

There really isn't much bandwidth used with netflix, about 5Mb/sec.

nutz

Had some issues with dropped connections. Replaced the modem and splitter, wired part of the network is fine for computing and sons gaming. But it seems in the last two weeks or so, Netflix has become unwatchable. Huge amount of errors, buffering like crazy every 5-15 minutes. Got to wondering if ABB is maybe throttling Netflix. Anyone else?
missing an update on your streaming device?

warneckutz

Had something similar with mine, they said there was "noise on the line"...

They came out and found the cable running from the pole is damaged. So, they're going to install new cable and run a newer coax (going from RG6 to RG-11)

glhs837

Power with Control
Had something similar with mine, they said there was "noise on the line"...

They came out and found the cable running from the pole is damaged. So, they're going to install new cable and run a newer coax (going from RG6 to RG-11)

Thats my last resort. New router comes in today. Between that and the other stuff, nothing left but thier stuff. Cables underground from out at Rt 5 down the private road to the box, then unde3rground from the box to the house.

warneckutz

Thats my last resort. New router comes in today. Between that and the other stuff, nothing left but thier stuff. Cables underground from out at Rt 5 down the private road to the box, then unde3rground from the box to the house.

Yah, I bought a new router just because I wanted a better one and it didn't help. They're covering all costs and work.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yah, I bought a new router just because I wanted a better one and it didn't help. They're covering all costs and work.

Trying like hell to avoid the "Must be the connectors" snip/crimp snip/crimp, "Good to go", and then 30 minutes later it's back to crap. ""Oh, must be your routerm lemme set that up better" then 30 minutes later, the damn things worse than it ever was. "Oh, you own your own modem? Yeah, those are for crap, not the NASA grade stuff we rent, you should replace that."

Cost of new splitter/router/modem still less than 2-3 service calls, and now it's on them if it's still crap after the router.

warneckutz

Trying like hell to avoid the "Must be the connectors" snip/crimp snip/crimp, "Good to go", and then 30 minutes later it's back to crap. ""Oh, must be your routerm lemme set that up better" then 30 minutes later, the damn things worse than it ever was. "Oh, you own your own modem? Yeah, those are for crap, not the NASA grade stuff we rent, you should replace that."

Cost of new splitter/router/modem still less than 2-3 service calls, and now it's on them if it's still crap after the router.

If you have the insurance on your account you should be good to go... let them replace all the wiring if they have to...

glhs837

Power with Control
I know it covers outside the house. If you've already got RG11 run then you should be good to go.

Oh, you mean from the box to the house, which is about 150ft. Thats thick orange stuff, was here when I got here. No idea how old it is though. House was built in 86 but I only moved in six years ago. .

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, after a month of dorking arounnd, dropping off, having to disconnect and reconnect the orange cable to get service back, they cable came out. Son told him we had isolated it down the incoming ornge wire, he told son that he should leave it to the professionals :) Did all his testing, disvcovered that indeed it was the orange wire. Except out at the cable box near the street, it's not orange, but black. Which indicates a connection buried somewhere in the 180 feet from the road to the house, through the forest. He put in the order to replace the whole line. Thats gonna be something to see. Dying to see how they bury that line through the woods. Old line runs under the driveway.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, after a month of dorking arounnd, dropping off, having to disconnect and reconnect the orange cable to get service back, they cable came out. Son told him we had isolated it down the incoming ornge wire, he told son that he should leave it to the professionals :) Did all his testing, disvcovered that indeed it was the orange wire. Except out at the cable box near the street, it's not orange, but black. Which indicates a connection buried somewhere in the 180 feet from the road to the house, through the forest. He put in the order to replace the whole line. Thats gonna be something to see. Dying to see how they bury that line through the woods. Old line runs under the driveway.

Around 6:00pm last evening we had a terrible time with phone and Internet dropping out.

warneckutz

I'm in the same boat... yay

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm in the same boat... yay

"Can you identify the one leading to the modem? I'll put that one on this leg of the splitter".

Yep, I'll go in the house right here and move it, it's about 3 feet from the spliter to the modem.

"Damn, thats great"

Yeah, thats why I wired it that way :)

black dog

Free America

They will use a vibratory plow ( trenchless in most cases ) to drop new cable in through the woods and across your lawn.. If needed, they will shoot a new bore under your driveway if no other access is available.

glhs837

Power with Control
They will use a vibratory plow ( trenchless in most cases ) to drop new cable in through the woods and across your lawn.. If needed, they will shoot a new bore under your driveway if no other access is available.

Hope I'm home when it happens, would be cool to watch.