Maybe some repub can explain this to me

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Why address this to Republicans? As it is each state that sets the rules as to who can or cannot vote why don't you ask the states legislatures the question.

Pete

Repete
Ken King said:
Why address this to Republicans? As it is each state that sets the rules as to who can or cannot vote why don't you ask the states legislatures the question.
:yikes: you are speaking logic and fact. It will go right over this persons head.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Pete said:
:yikes: you are speaking logic and fact. It will go right over this persons head.
Are you saying they suffer from cranial-rectal inversion? :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Ken King said:
Are you saying they suffer from cranial-rectal inversion? :biggrin:

Errrr............YUP!

Attachments

• headupass.jpg
    headupass.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 57

BadKarmaMPD

J.South said:
how letting ex-felons who have served their sentences into polling booths hurts anyone :confused:
Simple, one of the penalties for commiting a felony is loss of voting rights in some states. If you want to retain your voting rights, DON'T COMMIT THE CRIME!

J

justhangn

BadKarmaMPD said:
Simple, one of the penalties for commiting a felony is loss of voting rights in some states. If you want to retain your voting rights, DON'T COMMIT THE CRIME!

Now now, you should know better than to expect the criminals to be held accountable for their actions. :spank:

J.South

Let's get drunk
I understand there is a penalty for committing a felony... Why does losing the right to vote help anything. They already paid their debt to society right ... and I addressed this to the repubs because I didnt want a wishy washy answer

J

justhangn

J.South said:
I understand there is a penalty for committing a felony... Why does losing the right to vote help anything. They already paid their debt to society right ... and I addressed this to the repubs because I didnt want a wishy washy answer
1. See BadKarma's answer, this was addressed.

2. You should have gone to the DNC for your answer then. :duh:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
J.South said:
I would guess, in that being a convicted felon, your ability to make good sound choices has come into question.. and I thought this was constitutional not a STATE choice.. you get convicted.. you lose the right..

J.South

Let's get drunk
itsbob said:
I would guess, in that being a convicted felon, your ability to make good sound choices has come into question.. and I thought this was constitutional not a STATE choice.. you get convicted.. you lose the right..

See this was the answer I was looking for..

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
J.South said:
I'm not a Republican, but I support taking away the right to vote for certain felonies, like first-degree murder and rape.

Some activists want to see the penalty overturned because it seems to affect minorities more. In Florida in 2000, Democrats were making wild accusations of Republicans using the penalty to keep blacks from voting. Stuff like that is a big reason I stopped watching most TV news that year.

Toxick

Splat
J.South said:
how letting ex-felons who have served their sentences into polling booths hurts anyone :confused:

I read that story earlier on today, and besides being just another left wing slab of glistening propaganda, I found the entire article to be racist in its own way.

The primary source of disgust came from the fact that the article opines that keeping ex-felons from voting is racist. The implication being most ex-felons, or at least a significant portion of them, are black.

Following this logic to its ultimate conclusion, the upshot is that this hurts the Democratic party because these blacks would have voted Democrat. Hence: The GOP - specifically George W. Bush - are a bunch of racists.

Ladies and Gentlement: I give you Democrats - Your party of Tolerance and Open-mindedness.

If I was black, I don't know which I'd be more offended by - the implication that "felon = black", or the implication that "black = democrat".

The totally sad and depressing part in all this is that the do-gooders in the Democratic party, the ones who really want to help people, and really want to be open-minded affect positive change, will never see how counter-productive their own party is, and exactly how they themselves propagate and even exacerbate the very problems they propose to mend.

And the totally ironic and hilarious part in all this is that they accomplish this using tactics of hate speech and distortion (see the aforementioned article as a prime example): the very things they claim to dispise about the Republican Party.

Ken King

PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Nope the states determine who can and cannot vote. Several states have started allowing convicted felons to vote after doing their time; some even allow a parolee to vote.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
J.South said:
To me, the obvious answer is that convicted felons don't necessarily have the best interests of society at heart. Therefore they shouldn't be able to help choose our elected leaders.

Once you commit a crime, there's really no "paying of debts", unless the crime was a financial one. A violent criminal who kills, rapes or maims can never pay back what they took.

ylexot

Super Genius
I would say that committing a major crime shows a lack of respect for the rule of law. Since voting is part of the rule of law, it makes sense to take away that privilege.

However, I do believe that some can be rehabilitated in prison, so I think a temporary loss of voting rights would be more appropriate. Something like no voting for 10 years. If you stay clean that long, you get your voting rights reinstated.

J.South

Let's get drunk
Toxick said:
I read that story earlier on today, and besides being just another left wing slab of glistening propaganda, I found the entire article to be racist in its own way.

The primary source of disgust came from the fact that the article opines that keeping ex-felons from voting is racist. The implication being most ex-felons, or at least a significant portion of them, are black.

Following this logic to its ultimate conclusion, the upshot is that this hurts the Democratic party because these blacks would have voted Democrat. Hence: The GOP - specifically George W. Bush - are a bunch of racists.

Ladies and Gentlement: I give you Democrats - Your party of Tolerance and Open-mindedness.

If I was black, I don't know which I'd be more offended by - the implication that "felon = black", or the implication that "black = democrat".

The totally sad and depressing part in all this is that the do-gooders in the Democratic party, the ones who really want to help people, and really want to be open-minded affect positive change, will never see how counter-productive their own party is, and exactly how they themselves propagate and even exacerbate the very problems they propose to mend.

And the totally ironic and hilarious part in all this is that they accomplish this using tactics of hate speech and distortion (see the aforementioned article as a prime example): the very things they claim to dispise about the Republican Party.

I never intended this discussion to be made into anything racial but, it's funny to me how that article mentions other tactics of excluding blacks from the polls besides the felony convicts

Ken King

PREMO Member
Toxick said:

You got a link to the "aforementioned article"? :tap: