Thread: The round mound of rebound quote

Blog Entries

The round mound of rebound quote

One of the biggest problems in the African-American community is none of us have fathers, so we don't have that strong male figure to guide us, When I was growing up, I thought it was normal not to have a mom and dad around. Nobody I knew had both parents. And everybody I knew was poor.

I thought it was normal for every black girl to be pregnant in high school, because in my small hometown of Leeds, Alabama, that's how it was. It wasn't until I got to the NBA that I realized, 'Wait, that's really f---ed up.' It's a miracle any African-American player turns out OK based on where we come from.

Charles Barkley
    Last edited by Monello; 08-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    One of the biggest problems in the African-American community is none of us have fathers, so we don't have that strong male figure to guide us, When I was growing up, I thought it was normal not to have a mom and dad around. Nobody I knew had both parents. And everybody I knew was poor.

I thought it was normal for every black girl to be pregnant in high school, because in my small hometown of Leeds, Alabama, that's how it was. It wasn't until I got to the NBA that I realized, 'Wait, that's really f---ed up.' It's a miracle any African-American player turns out OK based on where we come from.

Charles Barkley

There is a connection here. The normailzation/acceptance of both teen pregnancy and lack of parental responsibility tie directly into the poverty cycle. And all the programs in the world wont/cant solve that. Refusal to accept 16 year old mamas and 16-18 year old daddys that only contribute sperm then walk away is the first step. No, it's NOT okay to get knocked up at 16.
    "I am capable of much unpleasantness."

Members who have read this thread: 25