The round mound of rebound quote

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
One of the biggest problems in the African-American community is none of us have fathers, so we don't have that strong male figure to guide us, When I was growing up, I thought it was normal not to have a mom and dad around. Nobody I knew had both parents. And everybody I knew was poor.

I thought it was normal for every black girl to be pregnant in high school, because in my small hometown of Leeds, Alabama, that's how it was. It wasn't until I got to the NBA that I realized, 'Wait, that's really f---ed up.' It's a miracle any African-American player turns out OK based on where we come from.

Charles Barkley

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
One of the biggest problems in the African-American community is none of us have fathers, so we don't have that strong male figure to guide us, When I was growing up, I thought it was normal not to have a mom and dad around. Nobody I knew had both parents. And everybody I knew was poor.

I thought it was normal for every black girl to be pregnant in high school, because in my small hometown of Leeds, Alabama, that's how it was. It wasn't until I got to the NBA that I realized, 'Wait, that's really f---ed up.' It's a miracle any African-American player turns out OK based on where we come from.

Charles Barkley

There is a connection here. The normailzation/acceptance of both teen pregnancy and lack of parental responsibility tie directly into the poverty cycle. And all the programs in the world wont/cant solve that. Refusal to accept 16 year old mamas and 16-18 year old daddys that only contribute sperm then walk away is the first step. No, it's NOT okay to get knocked up at 16.