GENERAC 22kW Stationary Generator Installation Costs

NBF

Am seriously thinking of getting a hole house generator soon. Am hoping that someone on this forum has already went through this and can provide keen insights into their costs and how they were able to keep them down. I guess the generator will cost around $4900 with the transfer switch, but then I'll need to have a 100 gallon propane tank installed. Would really appreciate your input.

NBF

Bonehead

First of all 22 KW is overkill unless you live in a huge house with large power needs. Mine is an 11 KW unit that will run the entire house and will selectively start large loads, well pump, dryer, AC etc. but not all at the same time. It also does a self test run 1 X per week.
A 100 gallon propane tank would not last any length of time. Mine is a 500 gallon tank. You can actually calculate what your propane consumption rate would be if you have the electrical load information. There are websites available for this purpose.
My system cost me 10 K $ installed, your mileage may vary.
I do the routine maintenance, oil, filter, air filter and plugs.
I hope some of this helps.

Grumpy

First of all 22 KW is overkill unless you live in a huge house with large power needs. Mine is an 11 KW unit that will run the entire house and will selectively start large loads, well pump, dryer, AC etc. but not all at the same time. It also does a self test run 1 X per week.
A 100 gallon propane tank would not last any length of time. Mine is a 500 gallon tank. You can actually calculate what your propane consumption rate would be if you have the electrical load information. There are websites available for this purpose.
My system cost me 10 K $ installed, your mileage may vary.
I do the routine maintenance, oil, filter, air filter and plugs.
I hope some of this helps.

Good stuff to know, thanks for taking the time to respond to NBF.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Bonehead is spot on. The propane Generac on our two-apartment building is 15kw. Handles it all with ease, although we don't try to run the dryer without turning off the water heater and well pump...if all three came on at the same time and the heat pump was also running, probably risk maxxing the genny out.

General Lee

I have a Generac 20kW, and it ran me about 7-7500 to install. That included adding another 250 gallon tank. A 100 gallon propane tank is not large to supply it for a long outage.

tooldanny

Powertech Electric in Hollywood stocks Generac Generators and installs them. You can either call Brandon at 240-298-5985 or email Brandon@powertechelec.com. He will come out and size the generator for your needs. You can have only selected items or as you say the whole house. The generator on average uses about 2 gallons of propane or natural gas an hour. Most people want enough fuel for at least 3 or 4 days. He will give you a complete install price including gas. Look him up on Generac Dealer locater, to review all the great reviews. Also he is certified for the maintenance and warranty repair. He offers a 7yr warranty even though the normal the warranty is 5 yrs. Hope this helps.

Chris0nllyn

At half load for that genset (2.53 gal/hr), a 100 gal tank would last almost 40 hours. At full load (91.7A@240V = 3.9 gal/hr) it would last about 25.6 hours. Though the tank won't physically have 100 gallons in it (they are usually filled to 80%, I believe?) Using 80 gallons, the run times are 31.6 hours and 20.5 hours, respectively.

Last edited:

Bonehead

Yeah 50% and 100% loading is a good way to view that part of the puzzle for fuel consumption. And yes 80% is maximum allowed fill for any size tank.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah 50% and 100% loading is a good way to view that part of the puzzle for fuel consumption. And yes 80% is maximum allowed fill for any size tank.

Speaking of tanks..where did you get your 500 gallon tank? I currently have an 80 and 100 next to each other but want to upgrade to much longer capacity. I have 6 generators scattered around the compound, but the other five are mobile, more or less, and run on gasoline. I'm getting a new 15kw diesel (Kubota engine) to cover a lot of what the "gas farm" gennys cover now, although the old 3-phase Onan 15kw is going to remain in the mix.

Bonehead

Bought it from the Amish off parson's mill road, don't remember how much it cost. Got it here myself, well with some friends help.

black dog

Free America
E over i equals R

Figure out what appliances and equipment you need to run at one time. Look at the data plates for each appliance, tool or equipment and write down either how many watts or amps each that it needs to run. Total up needed amps or watts and add at least 20% to that total and if in the numbers are just above one size generator round up to next size next size generator listed for the amps / watts you need.

My parents had a 20kva natural gas installed 3-4 years ago in Arnold and it was 8 grand.

black dog

Free America
Speaking of tanks..where did you get your 500 gallon tank? I currently have an 80 and 100 next to each other but want to upgrade to much longer capacity. I have 6 generators scattered around the compound, but the other five are mobile, more or less, and run on gasoline. I'm getting a new 15kw diesel (Kubota engine) to cover a lot of what the "gas farm" gennys cover now, although the old 3-phase Onan 15kw is going to remain in the mix.

I have used these guys at my farm out here, they run specials on new and used tanks all the time and put out some well priced propane.
I know they service MD but it don't know how far down in the flats they come.
Here's a link. The last time I filled my tank there is was like 1.15 or 1.20 a gallon and the driver filled all the 100 and 20 pounders at the same time. I tipped him lunch for that.
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001l182...VV5N80fdUOoABhgTrJ7LC_RzNN45oIJX-CThBAGGumA==

Rommey

I had a 17KW unit put in after the hurricanes/tropical storms in 2011. I didn't need a 17KW unit, but it was the lowest capacity unit that had a whole house transfer switch (I have 25 circuits in the house and the lower capacity units only had up to 20 circuit capacity). My total cost was about $6,500, which included the electrical and gas permits, a concrete pad, the generator & transfer switch, and installation. They had to replace my gas meter as a standard residential meter doesn't have the volume capacity to run the generator in addition to the other gas appliances/furnace, but Washington Gas replaced that for free. The nice thing about that meter is that it already has the additional connections for the generator, so no additional plumbing to split the gas line between inside and outside.

A couple of years ago, the neighborhood lost power for about 7 days so my generator ran for that time. My gas bill wasn't that much larger than normal and considering it was July and the AC ran all during the time period, I consider it worth the cost. It is a eerie looking sight when the whole neighborhood is dark except for your house.

NBF

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I will also look in KOHLER. The advice on larger tanks is well taken. I wonder how much a 500 gallon tank costs and if that has to be buried or not. Since I do not have NG here I'm thinking of having a line ran to the kitchen so I can cook with propane. Does anyone know if most gas ranges work with propane? I was looking at GE and they said "Natural". Does this mean they won't run off propane?

Does anyone know if most gas ranges work with propane? I was looking at GE and they said "Natural". Does this mean they won't run off propane?

Yes. They either come with a conversion kit (different orifices) or they can be bought as a kit. Ask before you buy.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes. They either come with a conversion kit (different orifices) or they can be bought as a kit. Ask before you buy.

Yep, the gas range I bought a while back came with a conversion kit. Would be nice to get around to redoing the kitchen so I can actually install it :)

RElevant, getting ready to set up the transfer switch for the portable 6500w propane generator. 50 feet of 10/3 was $49 at Amazon, but $75 here at Lowes.....

RElevant, getting ready to set up the transfer switch for the portable 6500w propane generator. 50 feet of 10/3 was $49 at Amazon, but $75 here at Lowes.....

I get my big wire from St. Mary's Lighting. I didn't pay a whole lot more than that for 50' of 10/4 waterproof neoprene. I'm thinking it was around $60-70 ?

NBF

LOL. At least you have it on hand and can leisurely redo the kitchen at your convenience. Nice to know you already have one and don't have to worry about getting one. Sometimes if you find a great price you have to pull the trigger on the purchase. Anyway, doing different projects allows me to acquire new tools!