NAFTA deal reported

transporter

Bloomberg is reporting an agreement on NAFTA with Mexico.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-seems-imminent-after-year-of-fractious-talks

No details of course. Over the past few days the reporting has been that Trump has given in on all the majority of the remaining sticking points. As of now the only reported item was a small increase in the percentage of auto parts that won't be subject to a 2.5% tariff. (Wow BFD...Trump's supposed goal was to eliminate tariffs.)

So we'll see what he gave away or what little was actually accomplished.

The fact that it took this long to come to agreement with one of our biggest and easiest to work with trading partners is a great testament to the incompetence of this administration.

Without a doubt, Trump will claim this some momentous victory and the greatest trade deal in the history of...well...history.

Hijinx

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-seems-imminent-after-year-of-fractious-talks

No details of course. Over the past few days the reporting has been that Trump has given in on all the majority of the remaining sticking points. As of now the only reported item was a small increase in the percentage of auto parts that won't be subject to a 2.5% tariff. (Wow BFD...Trump's supposed goal was to eliminate tariffs.)

So we'll see what he gave away or what little was actually accomplished.

The fact that it took this long to come to agreement with one of our biggest and easiest to work with trading partners is a great testament to the incompetence of this administration.

Without a doubt, Trump will claim this some momentous victory and the greatest trade deal in the history of...well...history.

The other day you were laughing about Trump saying a deal was close. You claimed it wasn't.
Well now there is a deal and you are saying it is a bad one.

Nothing Trump does makes you happy.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The other day you were laughing about Trump saying a deal was close. You claimed it wasn't.
Well now there is a deal and you are saying it is a bad one.

Her dementia meds interfere with coherent thought processes.

SamSpade

No details of course. Over the past few days the reporting has been that Trump has given in on all the majority of the remaining sticking points.

No wonder you don't credit him for negotiating - you have no idea what it means.

Have you NEVER haggled over a price, especially overseas? Your FIRST counter-bid is ridiculously low.
You're negotiating to a better deal but you BEGIN far away from your expected goal.
They counter, and you counter - until you reach a point in the middle, and you both feel you got what you wanted.

You think like a liberal - my way or the effin' highway - take it or leave it.
Because that's how YOU "negotiate". Which is to say - you don't. It's like your grasp of "bipartisan".
"Bipartisan" to the left means, the way WE want it.

He hasn't given in - they're exactly where he expected they'd be.

Hijinx

No wonder you don't credit him for negotiating - you have no idea what it means.

Have you NEVER haggled over a price, especially overseas? Your FIRST counter-bid is ridiculously low.
You're negotiating to a better deal but you BEGIN far away from your expected goal.
They counter, and you counter - until you reach a point in the middle, and you both feel you got what you wanted.

You think like a liberal - my way or the effin' highway - take it or leave it.
Because that's how YOU "negotiate". Which is to say - you don't. It's like your grasp of "bipartisan".
"Bipartisan" to the left means, the way WE want it.

He hasn't given in - they're exactly where he expected they'd be.

If he got anything at all he got more than we had.

CPUSA

Louder you miserable Toad!! You are NOT giving me money's worth!!
If I have to support your you lazy, insufferable azz, you need to humor me, peasant

SamSpade

If he got anything at all he got more than we had.

Well that was the point - negotiate a better deal.
Put conditions in the new one to allow for renegotiation every so many years.
Stuff like that. Politicians especially want so BADLY to come away with - something -
they're willing to bargain the country away for a few beans - just so they can claim something.

(One of my old favorite shows - Babylon 5 - one of the ambassadors says to his assistant,
who will be replacing him in a negotiation - "don't give up the home world!". I do get the feeling
that politicians can be the worst negotiators - either they cave too easily, or they won't budge at all).

Midnightrider

I thought he promised america that he was going to get Mexico to pay for the wall as part of this renegotiation of NAFTA.....

SamSpade

I thought he promised america that he was going to get Mexico to pay for the wall as part of this renegotiation of NAFTA.....

I don't recall him ever getting specific, which was why it was widely criticized because Mexico was never just going to
cough up the money, as if he was going to send them a BILL. The scenario I heard the most was withholding remittances,
but that wasn't going to work because

1. Really not enough money and
2. Probably can't do it legally

Frankly, I'd be satisfied with Mexico NOT assisting people to pile into the United States.
Wasn't it a few years ago, the government was publishing pamphlets on the easier ways to
enter the country illegally?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Let Me Remind you what you said a while back;

:tantrum

Every post you make is against anyone or any group that doesn't conform to your propagandist viewpoints.

:blahblah:

Fantasy, Supposition, Innuendo and Unfounded OPINION

Midnightrider

I don't recall him ever getting specific, which was why it was widely criticized because Mexico was never just going to
cough up the money, as if he was going to send them a BILL. The scenario I heard the most was withholding remittances,
but that wasn't going to work because

1. Really not enough money and
2. Probably can't do it legally

Frankly, I'd be satisfied with Mexico NOT assisting people to pile into the United States.
Wasn't it a few years ago, the government was publishing pamphlets on the easier ways to
enter the country illegally?
you guys should have paid more attention to the guy you voted for.

Not that it matters, trump isn't going to get mexico to pay for ####.

oh this is such a turrible thing i don't know what to do we're all gonna die. :coffee:

BTW, Stocks are up 260 points based on this bad news.

SamSpade

you guys should have paid more attention to the guy you voted for.

I've made it clear enough, I voted for the person most likely to defeat Hillary - and he did.
Secondly, I never ever said the wall made a big difference to me - I thought it was possible and I still do.
But I would have voted for him even if he'd promised to NEVER build a wall.

Midnightrider

I've made it clear enough, I voted for the person most likely to defeat Hillary - and he did.
Secondly, I never ever said the wall made a big difference to me - I thought it was possible and I still do.
But I would have voted for him even if he'd promised to NEVER build a wall.
I am just talking about what Trump said he was going to do. He claimed he was going to use NAFTA renogitiations to force mexico to pay for the wall. That is all.

SamSpade

I am just talking about what Trump said he was going to do. He claimed he was going to use NAFTA renogitiations to force mexico to pay for the wall. That is all.

:shrug: If you say so. I don't remember him EVER being specific, but then again, I didn't exactly hang on his every word.