Pretty much as expected...

transporter

In order to get a face saving "preliminary agreement in principle" to save face and change the tone of a news cycle that was decidedly against him, Trump would agree to any deal...just so he can tell his cult he accomplished something. He knows no one in his cult will look at the deal. Vrai, Gilligan and crew are all orgasmic over a deal...they don't care if it is a deal (it really isn't as Canada is not party to it) or if it is a deal that will actually benefit the US (that appears less and less likely) or if it is a deal that will reduce our trade deficit with Mexico (that answer seems to be a resounding "No") or did Trump finally get Mexico to pay for the wall (of course not)...did they settle the issues surrounding Trump's idiotic steel and aluminum tariffs (of course not, why would they do that?) Christ Trump couldn't even get the phone to work when he decided to call the Mexican President in front of the press (what a buffoon this guy is...can't work the phone...didn't tell the Mexican Prez what was going on so the Mexican Prez chides Trump during the call and Trump, in his usual disgraceful way, continually refers to the Mexican President as "Enrique").

So here is Bloomberg's take on the "preliminary agreement in principle"

Trump’s Mexico Trade Deal Looks Like a Lemon

Based on the NHTSA’s data, there are just three models made in Mexico that are currently exempt but would attract tariffs under the new regime: Nissan Motor Co.’s Versa Sedan, Audi AG’s SQ5, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s Fiat 500. Of these, only the Versa sells more than a handful of models in the U.S., with 106,772 vehicles shipped in 2017

The wage rules are likely to be tougher, though even there the devil is in the detail. Almost all non-Nafta content in Mexican-made cars sold in the U.S. comes from Germany, Japan or South Korea, where total compensation typically takes pay well above $16 an hour. So unless the requirement relates solely to Nafta workers earning at least $16 per hour (full details haven’t been released yet), the rules will only really affect vehicles that are at least 55 percent made in Mexico.

That’s a similarly small group. Excluding Ford Motor Co.’s Fusion and Fiesta, General Motors Co.’s Chevrolet City Express, and Mazda Motor Corp.’s Mazda2 – which are already off the U.S. market or heading that way – they sold a collective 658,640 units in 2017, according to our calculations.

Now for those who aren't paying attention (Vrai, Gilligan et. al.) this was one of my basic points yesterday:

About 70 percent of the country’s light-vehicle exports to the U.S. would be compliant under the new rules, with the remaining 30 percent getting a five-year phase-in period running through 2024, Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo told a press conference Monday. Even those that fall short would only receive the usual tariff of 2.5 percent for cars and 25 percent for trucks – levels that Volkswagen AG, Hyundai Motor Co., Kia Motors Corp. and others consider worth paying on swathes of models in return for Mexico’s drastically cheaper labor costs

and the obvious conclusion:

It shouldn’t be all that surprising that this deal is more limited than it first appears. Mexico is scarcely going to agree to devastate its domestic industry to please President Trump.

So here we are again...with a Trump "deal" that is nothing what he says it is...yet the ignorati types will believe they are "winning"...essentially because they are too lazy to open their eyes and look at the scoreboard.

SamSpade

Objectively - compared to what we had - yes, it's better. So I don't give a crap what you think.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Trump, Trump, Trump, :blahblah:

Chihuahuateeth3.jpg

:bigwhoop:

Hijinx

Did you know that Bloomberg is going to be one of McCain's pallbearers?
Along with Warren Beatty and Joe Biden?

Lefties carrying Old John to his final rest.
Pretty plain what side McCain was on.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Did you know that Bloomberg is going to be one of McCain's pallbearers?
Along with Warren Beatty and Joe Biden?

Lefties carrying Old John to his final rest.
Pretty plain what side McCain was on.

They're also going to help him change his voter registration to Democrat now that he qualifies.

PsyOps

Pixelated
yet the ignorati types will believe they are "winning"...essentially because they are too lazy to open their eyes and look at the scoreboard.

When this 'ignorati' looks at my bank account and investments, I don't "believe" I'm winning; I know I'm winning. I wouldn't expect someone who makes a living posting drivel in forums to have that experience.

Midnightrider

When this 'ignorati' looks at my bank account and investments, I don't "believe" I'm winning; I know I'm winning. I wouldn't expect someone who makes a living posting drivel in forums to have that experience.

If that is your measure you should KNOW that you did a lot of winning under Obama. :yay:

Midnightrider

You just make it up as you go along don't you?

Are you saying your bank account and investments went down under Obama? I have had RIDICULIUS gains after the 2008 crash. Its been all up since 2009 for me.
like i said, if bank accounts and investments are the measure we did a lot of winning under obama.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Are you saying your bank account and investments went down under Obama? I have had RIDICULIUS gains after the 2008 crash. Its been all up since 2009 for me.
like i said, if bank accounts and investments are the measure we did a lot of winning under obama.

If you want to bring Obama into this discussion you go right ahead. I was answering to Trans' claim that we aren't winning under Trump - which is blatantly false. I gave two examples of that winning. As a nation we are doing far better. Stock market breaking record after record. GDP above 3%. Unemployment at record lows - particularly for minorities. Mexico now wants a trade deal, and Canada wants in on the action. Not one missile has been fired from NORK since Trump's meeting with Kim. The military is markedly stronger than it was under Obama - and morale is much better. The VA is finally getting into shape. And now the whole 'collusion' investigation is about to get blown out of the water.

There is plenty to winning to talk about, yet you and Trans only dredge up the negative as if Trump is an abysmal failure. While I remain skeptical about somethings Trump is doing, I am benefiting far more under Trump than I did under Obama.

Midnightrider

If you want to bring Obama into this discussion you go right ahead. I was answering to Trans' claim that we aren't winning under Trump - which is blatantly false. I gave two examples of that winning. As a nation we are doing far better. Stock market breaking record after record. GDP above 3%. Unemployment at record lows - particularly for minorities. Mexico now wants a trade deal, and Canada wants in on the action. Not one missile has been fired from NORK since Trump's meeting with Kim. The military is markedly stronger than it was under Obama - and morale is much better. The VA is finally getting into shape. And now the whole 'collusion' investigation is about to get blown out of the water.

There is plenty to winning to talk about, yet you and Trans only dredge up the negative as if Trump is an abysmal failure. While I remain skeptical about somethings Trump is doing, I am benefiting far more under Trump than I did under Obama.

i wasn't talking bad about anybody. I was pointing out that the two indicators you used were also WAY UP under obama. That is all.

BTW, i dont see the NK situation as a win. They may not have fired missiles but all indications are that they are stepping up their nuke program.