Frozen Pizza

I've said it before, I'm a NY pizza snob. I like good pizza. But every once in a while, I get a frozen one, just to try. Today I got a new one on the market, "Outsiders" Detroit style. Basic pizza with Genoa instead of pepperoni. The crust is very thick, just like NY Sicilian style. Looked ok, plenty of toppings.

Looked great after cooking. Bubbly, crisp crust. Cut it up, took a bite.

Nuthin'. I mean nuthin'. The texture was perfect, crispy bottom, tender dough, but absolutely no flavor. Could hardly taste the sauce, they could have omitted the cheese and it wouldn't be any different. Genoa was just ok, but again lacking flavor.

Disappointing. Ate one slice, in the trash for the rest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Frozen pizza sucks. I had a cauliflower crust pizza recently that was okay, but I had low expectations. When you have Mod pretty much right across the street from you, I don't know why you would torture yourself with a frozen 'za.

Frozen pizza sucks. I had a cauliflower crust pizza recently that was okay, but I had low expectations. When you have Mod pretty much right across the street from you, I don't know why you would torture yourself with a frozen 'za.

'Cause there are times late at night I want a snack and I don't feel like going out or things are closed.

I usually get a large pie and freeze it, but like to keep options open for a quickie.

General Lee

Let the flaming begin........... but for frozen pizzas, my favorite is Tombstone. A lot of times I'll "doctor" it up by adding extra toppings.

ginwoman

'Cause there are times late at night I want a snack and I don't feel like going out or things are closed.

I usually get a large pie and freeze it, but like to keep options open for a quickie.

DiGiorno isn't bad

luvmygdaughters

Dr. Oetker's Virtuoso pizza is the bomb!!! You can pick them up at Mckays and Food Lion. They're all thin crust and the toppings are delicious.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
DiGiorno isn't bad

No, they aren't and are convenient. I get the frozen three pack of DiGiorno Original Rising Crust Supreme from BJs and have them on hand just in case I don't want to fuss over dinner. They come out better when you don't make it when you are tired and forget to take the cardboard round off the bottom before baking. :doh:

No, they aren't and are convenient. I get the frozen three pack of DiGiorno Original Rising Crust Supreme from BJs and have them on hand just in case I don't want to fuss over dinner. They come out better when you don't make it when you are tired and forget to take the cardboard round off the bottom before baking. :doh:
Bonified fire baked pizza at home!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bonified fire baked pizza at home!

I put it on a baking sheet as I don't like a overly crispy crust so fortunately no smoke or flames. The crust rose only where the cardboard wasn't around the edges, so they almost melded together. :lol:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Scream' Sicilian is really quite good. A bit pricey at about nine dollars a pop, but the BOGOS are a good deal.

PeoplesElbow

I don't know what it is about DiGorno when they first came out I thought they were good for frozen pizza, but now I can't stand them. Screaming Sicilian is probably the best frozen pizza that I have had.

I've tried a few of the self-rising crust pies. No thanx. Don't like the texture at all.

Tried the Screaming also. Eh.

To me, the crust is a huge part of a good pie. I cannot make a good crust, nor do I want to spend the time. Pre-made crusts like Boboli are ok in a pinch. I've also gotten the real pizza dough balls from the deli counter, but it's a pain to roll out, and if you don't do it quickly it dries out. Add a little olive oil to keep it moist and there begins the mess. I'd rather just let someone make it for me and I eat it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It's a bit far for you, GW - but Mamma Lucia by the Bay (Chesapeake Beach over here in Calvert) has a Napoletano style/certified wood fired pizza oven. The ML in PF makes really good pizza, anyway - but they don't have the wood fired oven. The pizza that we like there is more NY style (thinner crust) vs a Sicilian type of pizza. I don't care for deep dish pizza, and ever since we went to NY city, I realized it was the closest I've ever had to the pizza we ate when I lived in Naples. ML comes close and is not that far for us to go.

You could always go to Mamma Lucia's in CB, give their pizza a try & if you like it, take one home to freeze. :yay: