Marines 3D-print concrete barracks in just 40 hours

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Marines have used a specialized 3D concrete printer to print a 500-square-foot barracks room in just 40 hours.

The innovative project created the world’s first continuous 3D-printed concrete barracks, according to the Marine Corps.

The barracks room was built earlier this month at the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center in Champaign, Ill. Army and Navy Seabees were also involved in the construction effort.

Marines 3D-print concrete barracks in just 40 hours

how strong are the walls ?

glhs837

Power with Control
Oddly enough, the Kindle book I'm reading right now, set about 200 years in the future mentions 3d printed concrete structures, and also introduced me the fact that there are a lot more concrete barriers than the Jersey Barrier we all know and love. Colorado, and Alaska to mention a couple. Which led me to an article by a recent veteran who was talkiing about when he joined the Marines, he never expected to become a an expert on concrete. He now knows the weight of each kind, what it protects against, what equipment he needs to move it, how long it takes to place them, how much they cost, etc :)

Clem72

I have a general interest in 3D printing, and have viewed MANY videos of 3D printed structures (most made from concrete, and pretty much all claiming to be the first).

I would say the process used by the Marines is less sophisticated than others, but you have to start somewhere.

More importantly, many of these start-ups (for some reason the focus is usually building cheap houses in 3rd world countries) have moved back away from the 3D printed aspect to just pouring pre-fabs, shipping them, and, assembling in place.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... (for some reason the focus is usually building cheap houses in 3rd world countries) have moved back away from the 3D printed aspect to just pouring pre-fabs, shipping them, and, assembling in place.

Minimal or NON Existent Building Codes :shrug:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The next brazillionaire will be the person that uses their 3D printer to print a bunch of 3D printers. Then those printers can print out more printers. Then Oprah will buy them and give them out as gifts on her show. Here's a printer for you... and a printer for you... and a printer for you.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Somewhere out there, in a darkened basement lab, a lonely engineer is printing out a sex doll.

Clem72

The next brazillionaire will be the person that uses their 3D printer to print a bunch of 3D printers. Then those printers can print out more printers. Then Oprah will buy them and give them out as gifts on her show. Here's a printer for you... and a printer for you... and a printer for you.

"The RepRap project started in England in 2005 as a University of Bath initiative to develop a low-cost 3D printer that can print most of its own components, but it is now made up of hundreds of collaborators world wide.[1] RepRap is short for replicating rapid prototyper."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RepRap_project

BOP

Oddly enough, the Kindle book I'm reading right now, set about 200 years in the future mentions 3d printed concrete structures, and also introduced me the fact that there are a lot more concrete barriers than the Jersey Barrier we all know and love. Colorado, and Alaska to mention a couple. Which led me to an article by a recent veteran who was talkiing about when he joined the Marines, he never expected to become a an expert on concrete. He now knows the weight of each kind, what it protects against, what equipment he needs to move it, how long it takes to place them, how much they cost, etc :)

What MOS is that? Sounds more like a Seabee than anything else.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No idea why this is called printing. It's nowhere near printing. Maybe a fabricator, but not a printer.

black dog

Free America
Meh, I'm a sailor, if I dont insult at least one Marine a day, I've neglected my sacred duty to King Neptune. My Dad, a 26 year enlisted guy, had about 11 billion Marine jokes :)

I grewup in a frogman's house, his brother was a bubble head, my sister was on a P3 crew, two BIL's Annap grads. And then me,,,,. Thanksgiving was tough with that crowd.... I called a few of them pier queers....... once... Good Times..

glhs837

Power with Control
I grewup in a frogman's house, his brother was a bubble head, my sister was on a P3 crew, two BIL's Annap grads. And then me,,,,. Thanksgiving was tough with that crowd.... I called a few of them pier queers....... once... Good Times..

Now that's funny. Of course, one of devices he was most proud of was the Fleet Marine device on his Korean Service Medal. He was a radar operator in VC-4, they were detached from the Lake Champlain to work with VMF(N)-513 ashore.

black dog

Free America
Now that's funny. Of course, one of devices he was most proud of was the Fleet Marine device on his Korean Service Medal. He was a radar operator in VC-4, they were detached from the Lake Champlain to work with VMF(N)-513 ashore.

Did he get the small 5/16th or so dark eagle, globe & anchor? Or the larger silver or gold metal?
The little one is hard to see. But what great metals and ribbons.

glhs837

Power with Control
Did he get the small 5/16th or so dark eagle, globe & anchor? Or the larger silver or gold metal?
The little one is hard to see. But what great metals and ribbons.

The small dark one, second medal in, top row.

Dads medals.jpg

I'm a bubblehead. We stick together.
I laughed when I read pier queers, out loud!