Another example of the PC cultural changing what is acceptable ........

Hannibal

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tes...gazine-cover-promoting-obesity-085610873.html

I am not one to ever insult a person over their weight. Lord knows, I've had my struggles and realize it's a challenge for many. And I am not even bothered with putting a heavier girl on the cover of a magazine as I realize there are different people who have different tastes and all magazine covers don't need to be selling sex or limited to the standard definition of sexy.

But, when the article starts to focus on the pushback the cover saw due to her size ...... and due to people noting it as "unhealthy", such people are now essentially labeled as bigots. The new term is "body-shaming". And while I am generally a person who: A) doesn't feel the need to offer my opinion unless asked (and therefore I don't typically participate in social media) and B) don't go out of my way to say something negative about someone unless they are personally affecting me ............ I really see no benefit in people commenting at all.

However, given that it's all out there now, what are people expecting? Is society supposed to now swallow "fact" and somehow now accept that "obese" is OK or somehow "healthy"? Don't distort issues here - no one is not saying "don't be happy / content with yourself" or that you kind find a "fuller figure" to be appealing to the eye or your preferences. By all means, have confidence, feel sexy at whatever size you are, etc. But does the PC society expect the rest of people to bury our heads in the sand to think that being THAT size is HEALTHY and doesn't present other hurdles or issues. Are they yet again trying to get us to change our definition to a point that we are forced to accept all rights/wrongs/differences or else be labeled?

Are they yet again trying to get us to change our definition to a point that we are forced to accept all rights/wrongs/differences or else be labeled?

I don't see it quite like that. No one is qualifying healthy/not healthy. I see this as "if you want to be obese, it's your choice and it's not up to others to sham you for your choice."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/Tess_Holliday/status/1034807072687177729[/TWITTER]

Piers Morgan is getting all kinds of hate for making some very basic observations:

Piers said, “As Britain battles an ever-worsening obesity crisis, this is the new cover of Cosmo. Apparently we’re supposed to view it as a ‘huge step forward for body positivity.’ What a load of old baloney. This cover is just as dangerous & misguided as celebrating size zero models.”

The comments are now pouring in … and so far he’s getting a lot of support for his position, although it’s mixed.

There’s one point of view that it’s clear body-shaming and it loses sight of the fact that Tess is happy in her skin. There are others who say it encourages people who have the ability to maintain a healthy weight to slide to their physical and mental detriment.

As for Tess, the Cosmo article is about her battling depression over her weight. She also opens up about being sexually assaulted when she was younger.

Tess posted the cover of the mag herself, saying she was proud of the way it looked and hoped it would change the attitude of young girls who might be ashamed of the way they look.

I understand that she has psychological issues–hell, don’t we all?–but just because she has issues doesn’t mean that I, or anyone else, wish to participate in them. I understand that she’s “happy in her skin,” heaven knows there is enough of it for several people to be happy in, but she has no reason to be gushing on about “body positivity” when she probably has high blood pressure (actually a very safe bet as it can be predicted based on waist:hip ratio) and is a prime candidate for Type II diabetes, arteriosclerosis, and all manner of other chronic health problems. She’s a poster child for a self-destructive and self-indulgent lifestyle coupled with an unlimited ability to delude herself to the fact that all she is doing is preparing the groundwork for hip and knee replacements before she dies of heart disease. What is worse than what she’s doing to herself is that she is deluding other young women into thinking that being morbidly obese is attractive (and there is a whole fetish, or so I understand, devoted to that so YMMV) and healthy. Whatever your view of the aesthetics, she is not healthy. She is no more an example of “body positivity” that a Skid Row wine-o.

What makes this so insane, is that not that long ago we went through a whole panic about how undernourished models and freakin Barbie dolls were leading young women into eating disorders. This woman has an eating disorder that is just as life threatening as anorexia or bulemia–perhaps more so because there is a significant body of evidence that indicates you can never undo the damage of being morbidly obese–and we’re supposed to be cheering her on.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/20...yet-self-destructive-behavior-supposed-cheer/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These magazines are so out of touch and tone deaf that they go overboard and overcorrect. This is the same magazine that used to think "plus size" was a 12. Now they think "plus size" is Omar the Tentmaker's wife. Nothing wrong with the model, she's just being exploited by a pack of anorexia sufferers who don't know what normal women look like.

It was either Ipsy or Birchbox...but a few months ago one of them decided to highlight a man wearing makeup for "diversity". Now, there are about 8 million guys on Instagram and YouTube who freaking rock the makeup - they look amazing and really show off not only their own skills but the product itself to its best potential. And who do you think Ipsy/BB chose to be their diversity model? This crazy guy with ugly grandma red lipstick all over his mouth, metallic blue eyeliner, and a 5:00 shadow. He looked like a raving freak. Like some kid who got into Mommy's makeup and scribbled on his face.

It's pure exploitation by people who are so insulated that they've completely lost touch with their audience. And that's giving them the benefit of the doubt, because the alternative is that they're pure mean-spirited aholes who will use someone to mock and make fun of to get attention for their magazine.

MiddleGround

Its not that big of a deal. All that is needed is for the Size 0 crowd to get together and protest against this for not being healthy. Why wouldn't that work? It was perfectly OK for the fatties of the world to body shame the thinner crowd.