There Is No Such Thing As 'Progressive' Christianity

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
We are hearing a lot about how the current controversy in the Catholic Church is ideological in nature. As the media has it, "conservative Catholics" are attacking the pope while "progressive Catholics" defend him against the evil assault. This is ridiculous for many reasons, starting with the fact that the controversy is about sex abuse and cover-ups. It's got nothing to do with ideology. But this framing of the issue stems from an even deeper falsehood — that such a thing as progressive Catholicism, or progressive Christianity, exists or can exist.

The "conservative vs progressive" dichotomy is most often cited with regard to sexual morality and homosexuality in particular. We are told that defense of sexual morality and condemnation of the homosexual act is a "conservative" position. Across all the churches and denominations, it is said that those who promote chastity and believe in the sanctity of the marital covenant are "conservative Christians." "Progressive Christians," on the other hand, take a more open-minded view of these topics. The obvious implication is that a Christian might look at the issue and settle on either side of it. But this is not possible. There is no "other side" within Christianity. The issue is not up for debate.

There cannot be a conservative/liberal divide on the basic moral teachings of Christianity. There is only the Christian understanding vs the non-Christian understanding. A person who accepts and defends the moral truths of the faith is not necessarily "conservative." He is just Christian. A person who rejects those truths is not a "liberal Christian." He is not Christian at all.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/35258/walsh-progressive-matt-walsh

seekeroftruth

I agree with the premise.... to a certain point.... I think there are a lot of Christians who are truly confused. I mean... look at the facts... while the church was preaching against child molestation and homosexuality.... children were being molested and sodomy is at the core of the fight against homosexuality.... but the church is always right.... so Christians are confused.

This isn't the first time the church has been led way off the path.... we've been reading about it for months.... over and over and over again....

BUT.... NOW that it's out in the open.... well, I'm wondering if God is going to bring about another quicksand event.....

Meanwhile.... what becomes of all those Catholics who were raised not reading the Bible... and accepting the word of a priest to base their faith on.... I think the church should be more concerned about them....

And if this is Pergamum then we have some time before the end times is here...

I think they are taking a label because they just don't know any better in all this confusion.
:coffee:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I mean... look at the facts... while the churc was preaching against child molestation and homosexuality.... children were being molested and sodomy is at the core of the fight against homosexuality.... but the church is always right.... so Christians are confused.

yeah the CHURCH Doctrine is Correct ... MEN or the Flesh is the week part, subject to Temptation

A has NOTHING to do with B

this all goes back to the 1960's when standards for admittance were lowered

what becomes of all those Catholics who were raised not reading the Bible

I'm not following ... bible reading was part of Sunday School

seekeroftruth

I have a very dear friend who is a Christian Catholic. Now that she's retired she has time to volunteer. As a matter of fact.... she's 80 years old and she volunteers at the food bank, the hospital gift shop, and she works at the soup kitchen.

She told me that the Bible is not for the Lay Person. She's the one who told me about the Sunday School Stories.... but they never had a Bible.

That's what I'm talking about..... People who are confused.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
She told me that the Bible is not for the Lay Person. She's the one who told me about the Sunday School Stories.... but they never had a Bible.

That's what I'm talking about..... People who are confused.

:yay:

Gotcha

well I'd have to call :bs: on that ........
that was the POINT of Gutenberg PRINTING the Bible ...
so the book would be MORE Widely Available ....
I do believe the Scriptures were NOT meant to be studied alone and the point of gathering with other believers weekly

seekeroftruth

Gotcha

I do believe the Scriptures were NOT meant to be studied alone and the point of gathering with other believers weekly

You can call it anything you want... but the fact exists... there are a lot of people in the Church right now who just don't know what to think.

All their lives they've been told to follow what the Priests and Pastors said.... and now it's finally coming out that these humans have been causing a problem for churches all along.

It's up to the individual to protect themselves from the false teachers.... [molesters, rapist, liars, and thieves included] but without the tools [WORD and Holy Spirit] then how are they supposed to protect themselves. When Aaron threw the gold in the smelting pot and the calf popped out... who was there to protect the nation of Israel? No one... and they all started dancing.... don't you see it?

It makes perfect sense.... there are a lot of hurting people out there... and they don't have their priests to count on anymore...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
All their lives they've been told to follow what the Priests and Pastors said ....

I don't know who 'these' people are, I was not raised like that [I'm 52] ..... there was Sunday School, Bible Study ... etc

Just Search online for Catholic Bible Study https://www.catholicity.com/links/158/

My Mother is in her 70's and reads scripture EVERY Morning over Breakfast .....
but then she was part of the Charismatic Catholic Movement in the 90's run out the local Church [she has been going to since the mid 70's]

Once a month we would go to one of several 'Harvest' or 'Vineyard' Churches in the Area

seekeroftruth

Gotcha

It's been my experience that the church has so many horrible leaders.... interested more in what the church will do for them than what they can do for God.... that the church is probably the worst place [right now] to hear the word of God. What if my church was like one of those with a false teacher and parishioners who never opened a Bible relying solely on those leaders.... meanwhile... all they're doing is picking their pockets and feed them warped fairy tales instead of the gospel because the gospel would be inconvenient to their cause?

Don't get me wrong... not all churches have nothing but false teachers, pharisees and sadducees. There are a good number of good churches, preachers, and priests. But how would you know unless you are studying the word. My friend would NOT begin to know how to look up a verse let alone call out a lie.

Oh... and is there a better friend to read the Bible to you than the Holy Spirit Himself?

IMHO God didn't spend all that time inspiring every word of the original transcript and all those other real interpretations just to let everyone to allow one human to tell us what it says.....

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's been my experience that the church has so many horrible leaders.... interested more in what the church will do for them than what they can do for God.... that the church is probably the worst place [right now] to hear the word of God. What if my church was like one of those with a false teacher and parishioners who never opened a Bible relying solely on those leaders.... meanwhile... all they're doing is picking their pockets and feed them warped fairy tales instead of the gospel because the gospel would be inconvenient to their cause?

many false Churches and Preachers

it will be interesting to see how many 'main' line churches roll over when the Gays start demanding 'marriages' in Churches and sue over civil rights violations in place's like Oregon and Colorado

seekeroftruth

many false Churches and Preachers

it will be interesting to see how many 'main' line churches roll over when the Gays start demanding 'marriages' in Churches and sue over civil rights violations in place's like Oregon and Colorado

You know.... when God's people turn their back on Him.... He is happy to accept all the others who do honor and respect Him.

I'm looking forward to the new Church.... We won't get that new Church, I fear, until everyone has had the opportunity to hear the Gospel. By drawing lines and keeping some from hearing the Good News... then we are only prolonging the inevitable.

The church needs to take a good look at their own thorns.... and not be afraid to admit them.... and ask for forgiveness.... sincerely.... before any healing can begin.... and that's all churches... even those with that handsome rich guy telling people it's God's will that they be rich, even tho Jesus himself said it's harder for a rich man to get to heaven than it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

This is from the bibleproject.com.

Through Jonah's perspective, we have the opportunity to perform a spiritual checkup of ourselves. Do we truly forgive and love our enemies? Do we run away from the Lord about certain issues, afraid of being exposed? The answer is different for every individual, and yet God personally knows the answers to these questions. By examining ourselves in Jonah's story, we can learn to trust God in His final decisions and give all our concerns to Him, while knowing that He desires to save every individual on Earth and reunite with them forever.

No one is too far for Him to reach.

I'm glad God knows how this is going to turn out.....