Colon Kaepernick is the new face of NIKE shoes.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Nike must have crunched the numbers and found that patriotic people make up a small amount of their sales. Hard to imagine any company would get behind someone as decisive as CK. I guess Barry Obama wasn't available.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kaepernick fans don't purchase high dollar Nikes anyway, they steal them from other kids.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Nike must have crunched the numbers and found that patriotic people make up a small amount of their sales. Hard to imagine any company would get behind someone as decisive as CK. I guess Barry Obama wasn't available.

I agree. I replied to you in the same way in another thread. Hold on to your hats, y’all!

Hijinx

I think you mean Divisive, not decisive.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Corporate Suicide Watch, Nike Edition

Nike has chosen the star of its 30th anniversary #JustDoIt advertising campaign: Colin Kaepernick. At first glance, it seems weird for an athletic shoe company to select as its corporate icon someone who is no longer an athlete, and was never a star. At second glance, it gets weirder:

DmM9649W4AEZrst.jpg

Nike apparently thinks Kaepernick has sacrificed everything, which tells you something about 21st century corporate America. Kaepernich is a multimillionaire whose “sacrifice” consisted of kneeling during the National Anthem, wearing socks depicting police officers as pigs, and generally denouncing his country. Which has led to a second career as a leftist spokesman. That is not exactly a contender in the annals of Greatest Sacrifice Ever.

Further, Nike’s tag line, “Believe in something,” naturally raises the question: Does it matter what you believe in? Any normal person would say that it does. After all, the worst monsters in human history–Mao, Stalin, Lenin, Nero, Hitler, Amin, bin Laden, Castro–all believed in something. It was just the wrong thing.

Kaepernick isn’t as wrong as Lenin and Stalin, but he is still wrong. Nike would have us believe that they honor the former quarterback because he believes in “something,” as though that were value-neutral. But would Nike have similarly honored, for example, Matt Birk, a retired center for the Minnesota Vikings and the Baltimore Ravens–a man who, for what it is worth, probably has 30 or 40 IQ points on Kaepernick–who declined an invitation to the Obama White House because of President Obama’s enthusiastic support for abortion? Heh. Just kidding. Of course not.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/09/corporate-suicide-watch-nike-edition.php

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What demographic is Nike trying to reach? Certainly not those of us that believe in our flag and anthem. Unfortunately, it's to those who cannot afford their products. So in the case of BLM, they will go out and beat the snot or kill each their over these products. Go Team!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Others that seem to be treanding are:

#JustDont
#ByNike
#JustBlewIt

officeguy

Silly for a sneaker company to get involved in politics. They do however know that they make the most money with the high-end sneakers. And if you are ignorant enough to spend $200 on a $12 pair of injection molded and foamed sneakers, you are probably going to buy the BLM fraud as well.

MiddleGround

It doesn't take rocket science to know why they selected CK as their spokesperson. It is a matter of asking 2 simple questions:

1) What is the main demographic for Nike shoe sales?

2) When was the last time you saw anyone of the caucasian persuasian pimping for Nike?

This_person

I'm perfectly fine with them doing this. It's clear that companies have the right to involve themselves in any issue they choose, and it is equally clear that people make purchasing decisions based on their perception of the company.

This is how it should work, in every way.

I can't think of the last thing I bought from Nike. My hope is that many golfers and others who are sponsored by Nike find new sponsors. My expectation is, they won't. But, Nike may not be able to afford to sponsor so many in the future - that's a realistic expectation whether I'm accurate or not.