So doing some refrigerator shopping

steppinthrax

Our fridge is around 10 - 12 years old, it's a double door Whirlpool with the ice/water on the freezer door. My wife likes the drawer freezer type fridges you see nowadays with the double door fridge on top. So I'm in HD looking around and here's the crazy #### I see manufactures are doing.

They new icebox is about the size of a shoebox, some even smaller!!!!

Yeah, and I felt betrayed knowing likely it's going to become and issue since I will have a trade-off on more space v.s. being able to fill a cooler for camping. The nice thing about having a fridge/freezer with an ice maker is being able to pull the entire drawer and empty it into a cooler. So get used to this fact or otherwise spend time searching for fridges with the same larger ice makers (I'm sure they still exist).

Just something I've noticed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the freezer drawer fridges with the teeny little ice bin that's difficult to get to and you can't get to your frozen stuff. I like the freezer on top like normal.

Salmon

Go with energy efficient. They may cost more in the store, but it’s usually made up by savings on your electric bill. Plus the environmental aspect is an intangible benefit as well.

steppinthrax

Go with energy efficient. They may cost more in the store, but it’s usually made up by savings on your electric bill. Plus the environmental aspect is an intangible benefit as well.

The modern fridges we are talking about here are more energy efficient then they have ever been. Considering the smaller ice chest and more insulation.

Chris0nllyn

Realistically, you'll want to store more food more often than wanting ice for camping.

Personally, I have an older fridge that I freeze small buckets of water in. When it comes time to hunt/fish/camp I pop the big ice blocks out of the bins and roll with that.

It matters little to me how big the ice bin is. I have an in-door dispenser and have yet to ever run out of ice. Makes it faster than it can be used.
But if you're talking about being able to unload the ice bin and go camping.... well that's just dumb to even consider. That ice is just going to sit in the bin waiting months to be used, collecting funky smells, which means it has to be changed periodically. Go to the store and buy a few bags of ice when needed.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It matters little to me how big the ice bin is. I have an in-door dispenser and have yet to ever run out of ice. Makes it faster than it can be used.
But if you're talking about being able to unload the ice bin and go camping.... well that's just dumb to even consider. That ice is just going to sit in the bin waiting months to be used, collecting funky smells, which means it has to be changed periodically. Go to the store and buy a few bags of ice when needed.

:yeahthat:

My ice maker started leaking a few years ago, I disengaged it and never fixed it. I don't go through much ice anyway. I do keep a couple of bottles of water frozen to throw in my mini cooler when I go to the beach. It keeps everything else cool and then I can drink it when it thaws.

My ice maker started leaking a few years ago, I disengaged it and never fixed it.
Who's that knocking at the door...
Asked the fair young maiden.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Asked the fair young maiden.

:lmao:

That was over 10 years ago at my last abode. :memoryofanelephant: :lol:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My only advice is to avoid LG and Samsung.
Each of the 3 Lowe's I've worked has had a graveyard for those 2 brands.
There is almost zero repair service available for them.

Salmon

Educate yourself.
It makes a big difference which home appliances U.S. consumers buy. Residential electricity consumption — much of it from major home appliances — accounts for about one fifth of U.S. energy-related greenhouse gas emissions. New energy-efficient appliance models that use as little as half of the energy as their predecessors are available on the market. And this was from 18 years ago. The concept still applies. https://www.c2es.org/document/appli...r-participation-in-reducing-greenhouse-gases/

black dog

Free America
Nobody tell the Fish I heat with coal...
industry-2663189__480.jpg

black dog

Free America
I heat with wood...fishboy would faint.

He would leak some pee if he saw my windows open in the middle of winter out here because that stove just cranks out not only to much heat, but close the damper and it can roll coal like a Caterpillar D9 pushing coal at Morgantown.

tuffenuff2

Don't buy Samsung!!! They look pretty but they're pieces of junk!!! Not just the refrigerators also microwaves and dishwashers.

officeguy

Anything not made by Electrolux/Fridgidaire. They just don't have a service network.
When some board fried on my 15yo GE, the GE man was out the next day and for $280 I was back in business. When my brand new Electrosux didn't work they sent out 6 different companies to fix it until I had the credit card company pick it up and refund the purchase.