Canning tomatoes

wittykitty

I’m searching for canning tomatoes, and I need about a half bushel, possibly more. My Mennonite friend, whom I usually get them from, says it was a terrible tomato season for her and she doesn’t have any this year.
Does anyone know where I can get them? I work a lot, and really don’t have time to drive around searching for them, so a definite source would be most helpful!

black dog

Free America
I’m searching for canning tomatoes, and I need about a half bushel, possibly more. My Mennonite friend, whom I usually get them from, says it was a terrible tomato season for her and she doesn’t have any this year.
Does anyone know where I can get them? I work a lot, and really don’t have time to drive around searching for them, so a definite source would be most helpful!

If you leave tonight, you can be here by mid morning tomorrow. We have zillions of acres of canning tomatoes for miles here, We are the home of Red Gold.

Have you been to the Mennonites auction building in Loveville?

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Farmer's Markets.

https://www.visitstmarysmd.com/food-drink/farm-markets/

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Talk to the produce folks at the Charlotte Hall Farmers market.

Many times they have large quantities of things not present on the tables.

Bonehead

I used to go to this auction on a regular basis for the smaller lots. Then two or three stand owners showed up and out bid everybody on every single item. I quit going. No fun if you can't buy something at a reasonable price.

FED_UP

What days besides Saturday is the red barn off 235 with produce and stuff near gate 3 area open?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I used to go to this auction on a regular basis for the smaller lots. Then two or three stand owners showed up and out bid everybody on every single item. I quit going. No fun if you can't buy something at a reasonable price.

This. I went yesterday, and the first couple lots went very reasonable ( I ended up with some flowers I would not have normally bought), when very few people were there.

About 9:50, everyone showed up, and I couldn't bid as high as others were willing to go. Yeah, I understand supply and demand, don't be cheap, it's good for the farmers to make money, on and on. But, it's fun to get a bargain. No bargains when the veggie stand owners can afford to outbid everyone, every lot.

wittykitty

What days besides Saturday is the red barn off 235 with produce and stuff near gate 3 area open?

Thank you all for your helpful thoughts!

The Home Grown Farmers Market near Gate 3 is open Saturdays and Wednesdays. That's the most convenient market for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just saw this from Trossbach's Produce on FB if you're still looking for tomatoes:

It is shaping up to be a great weekend to sit inside and can tomatoes.

We have them on SPECIAL $20 a bushel!
We will be open 9am-6pm Saturday and Sunday
AND we'll be at the Home Grown Farm Market and the BAE California Farmer's Market 9am-1pm Saturday.
See you soon!