Searching for older race boat hull(s)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'd appreciate any leads provided to help me locate a "vintage" racing hull. I'm most interested in 1970s-era Allison, Checkmate, GW Invader (what I had back in the 70s), or Hydrostream hulls in the 14-15' range. There are some other makes that I'd consider as well, including even some of the similar vintage tunnel hulls, like one of the locally-built Melvins, for example.

Shoot me a PM if you know of any. With the recent surge in popularity of the vintage small boat racing, I'm thinking about dragging out the engine and rigging stuff I've had stashed away for over 30 years and joining the fun...or at least helping someone else do it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
why don't you FINISH the Pantera 1st.

Space limitations are killin' me! I need to get the "body and paint shop" addition to the shop done. The additional 20' x 50' with two bays (one being a fully filtered and surround-lit paint booth) is going to really help move things along and break the project logjam. Thought I'd have it done by this fall but running behind schedule....as usual.

Boats, on the other hand, I can deal with because I roll 'em in and out of the main shop and the outboard work can be done in the existing engine assembly area. I've rebuilt/restored two this year alone and upgraded a couple more. That said, I've got three other boat projects waiting on...yup, the new paint booth.

When I was growing up, someone got a hold of plans to build 8' hydroplanes. A few actually got built and there was one summer they actually got used. No one raced them, just took them out for "fast" runs up and down the beach.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When I was growing up, someone got a hold of plans to build 8' hydroplanes. A few actually got built and there was one summer they actually got used. No one raced them, just took them out for "fast" runs up and down the beach.

How about that. My very first boat "project" was an 8' hydro built using the Glen-L full-sized paper template plan kit. That was back around 1970?.. Had an old 1950s vintage Johnson 25 on the back; bought at local marine surplus yard for less than $100 (a lot of money back then).

How about that. My very first boat "project" was an 8' hydro built using the Glen-L full-sized paper template plan kit. That was back around 1970?.. Had an old 1950s vintage Johnson 25 on the back; bought at local marine surplus yard for less than $100 (a lot of money back then).

Yeah, sometime between '65 and early '70s. And I do remember seeing the full size plans. Most of ours had 5 to 7 HP motors, a 9.5 HP motor was just *wow*. :lol:

black dog

Free America
I had a Glastron GT150 in the 80's with a 125 welfare on it, I broke the transom and I think I sold that boat to one of the brothers that own Fair winds Marina at the mouth of the Magothy in the cape. I believed he collected those old Glastrons, those boys might be some help.
I told you to by that sweet I sent you a link to last year.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, sometime between '65 and early '70s. And I do remember seeing the full size plans. Most of ours had 5 to 7 HP motors, a 9.5 HP motor was just *wow*. :lol:

That old 20HP (had to refresh my memory bank..it was an old 20HP, not 25HP. Like the red on in the link below) was all I'd been able to find and was waaayy too heavy for the little craft. Had to lean way out in front of the boat to keep it from sinking by the stern before getting i moving. I actually broke the transom off when I hit a branch that was lurking barely submerged. Only thing that saved the motor from being lost was the steering cables. Passer-by towed my wrecked mess in to shallow water where I took the motor off and saved everything. Thank goodness for all the styrofoam I'd stuffed in the bow voids.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had a Glastron GT150 in the 80's with a 125 welfare on it, I broke the transom and I think I sold that boat to one of the brothers that own Fair winds Marina at the mouth of the Magothy in the cape. I believed he collected those old Glastrons, those boys might be some help.
I told you to by that sweet I sent you a link to last year.

I have a Carlson CV16 Glastron..but it's an I/O and that's not one of the active vintage classes around here. I have two 140HP OMC outboards, Boysen carbon reed intake blocks..modified carbs..jack plates,,Land&Sea solid mount kits, low-water pickup kits etc etc all left over from my uteful go-fast days. I'm a pack rat..

Refresh my memory...what was it you pointed me to last year? I recently turned down a free Checkmate hull because it's 17 or 18' and I don't have the right engine(s) for that size and class.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I've only watched boat racing on television a few times but isn't 15' a little short?

black dog

Free America
I have a Carlson CV16 Glastron..but it's an I/O and that's not one of the active vintage classes around here. I have two 140HP OMC outboards, Boysen carbon reed intake blocks..modified carbs..jack plates,,Land&Sea solid mount kits, low-water pickup kits etc etc all left over from my uteful go-fast days. I'm a pack rat..

Refresh my memory...what was it you pointed me to last year? I recently turned down a free Checkmate hull because it's 17 or 18' and I don't have the right engine(s) for that size and class.

It was a sweet 16 with a Holman in it, down in Florida on Craigslist for sale.. You said you had enough projects... #sadface

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yes, I know. That's why I sent you the linky....
. But it was certainly not a correct craft with a side oiler in it..

My Champ originally had a side-oiler in it. New engine is a 428 but with all the Holman-Moody externals put back on..everything except the exhaust logs and risers. I recently scored a nearly perfect set of H-M original aluminum logs and risers for the 302 H-M in the Donzi, but have had a heck of a time finding a good set for the 428. Got some old Nicsons on it for now.