When is asacrifice not a sacrifice

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't think Colin Kaepernick is one of history's great villains. I seem to differ with many of my fellow conservatives on that point. The Right has managed to stay angry at a football player's unorthodox Anthem posture for three years. I just do not have that kind of emotional endurance.

On the other side of the coin, I find the Left's hero worship of Kaepernick to be even more ludicrous. Despite the implicit claims made by Nike's new marketing campaign, the former quarterback is no martyr. He did not "sacrifice everything." I don't see any evidence that he sacrificed anything, let alone everything. If "sacrifice" is the act of giving something up, of surrendering one's comfort or well-being for the sake of a higher purpose, then Kaepernick made no sacrifice. Indeed, he made enormous gains. He did the opposite of sacrifice. He traded a lesser thing for a better thing. He sacrificed the way a guy might sacrifice by trading in his Toyota for a Mercedes.

[clip]

If not for Kaepernick's political demonstrations, he'd likely be riding an NFL bench today. Best case, he'd be vying for a starting job on Buffalo or Cleveland's squad. Four or five years from now, he'd retire and become a part-time commentator on ESPN. This is the trajectory he "sacrificed," by his own choice. And what did he get in return? Not much except international fame, acclaim and accolades from the media and the Left, a lucrative sponsorship with Nike, million-dollar book deals, etc. No doubt, the hagiographic Hollywood biopic is right around the corner. I don't see the sacrifice here. I see profit. I see calculation.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/35527/walsh-colin-kaepernicks-self-serving-and-matt-walsh

black dog

Free America
He was done as a professional football player, he passed up ' what two jobs playing football? He followed the money.
This was the best road for him to make money.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think he's just an emotionally immature loser and spoiled brat. nothing more.

Of course, he attracts similarly damaged people as supporters.

transporter

When is a sacrifice not a sacrifice? Ask our incompetent President:

Trump's comment about his sacrifices for his homeland, meanwhile, emphasized his job creation record.

"I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've done, I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot," he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/30/tru...nse-to-khizr-khans-blistering-dnc-speech.html

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Nike should put Tim Tebow in their next campaign. If there was ever an NFL player that was blackballed for taking a stand, it would be Saint Timothy. All he did was profess his Christian faith and every team ran the other way.

22AcaciaAve

Kapaernick is not a villain, but he isn't a martyr either. The biggest reason he doesn't have an NFL job is because he was nothing more than an average QB who had some flash in the pan games, all under Jim Harbaugh. Once Harbuagh left and went back to college he couldn't even keep his starting job. His long windup and average passing ability was soon figured out by opposing defenses. He was fined by the NFL on a few occasions for using inappropriate language on the field and for using headphones that weren't approved by the NFL in a post game interview. Minor violations, but it shows his disregard for rules. But many players have done that. Fact is he could be a backup in the NFL, but with the controversy he started it simply isn't worth it to any NFL team to take on that baggage for a backup QB. You can't have it both ways. You can't want to be an activist doing controversial things to get your point across and then complain that you are being treated unfairly. Either be willing to take the negative reactions that are going to come from doing something that you know is going to be controversial, or simply don't do it. But don't whine about the consequences after you make your decision. And if he was truly interested in the cause he claims that drives his actions, he might realize that there are better ways to educate people than doing something that is likely to piss them off. In all of the debates on a subject that I have ever had, I have never once changed someone's opinion by doing or saying something to them that they find offensive.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Kapaernick is not a villain, but he isn't a martyr either. The biggest reason he doesn't have an NFL job is because he was nothing more than an average QB who had some flash in the pan games, all under Jim Harbaugh. Once Harbuagh left and went back to college he couldn't even keep his starting job. His long windup and average passing ability was soon figured out by opposing defenses. He was fined by the NFL on a few occasions for using inappropriate language on the field and for using headphones that weren't approved by the NFL in a post game interview. Minor violations, but it shows his disregard for rules. But many players have done that. Fact is he could be a backup in the NFL, but with the controversy he started it simply isn't worth it to any NFL team to take on that baggage for a backup QB. You can't have it both ways. You can't want to be an activist doing controversial things to get your point across and then complain that you are being treated unfairly. Either be willing to take the negative reactions that are going to come from doing something that you know is going to be controversial, or simply don't do it. But don't whine about the consequences after you make your decision. And if he was truly interested in the cause he claims that drives his actions, he might realize that there are better ways to educate people than doing something that is likely to piss them off. In all of the debates on a subject that I have ever had, I have never once changed someone's opinion by doing or saying something to them that they find offensive.

He was adopted because his mom gave him up, and he lived a nice life with his new parents. He is disgusting. I will call him Krappernick from now on. Thank you, Obama. And, God bless America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Kaepernick

Last edited:

This_person

Good post.

He picked a really poor way to protest something that wasn’t really happening in the way he suggested, but outside of that I agree with you. Had he done a bit of research into his position skeptically he likely would still be a back up QB somewhere.

Hijinx

And if he was truly interested in the cause he claims that drives his actions, he might realize that there are better ways to educate people than doing something that is likely to piss them off. In all of the debates on a subject that I have ever had, I have never once changed someone's opinion by doing or saying something to them that they find offensive.

Gee Maybe tranny should read your post.