Hurricane Season

With water temps as high as they are right now, in the mid 80's, that's a lot of energy for sustained high energy hurricanes. Lots of activity coming out of the Atlantic.

Hurricane Florence is making it's way across now. Originally thought to just turn north and out to sea, it's now on track to pass just below Bermuda, and the European hurricane model is showing it passing very close to the Mid Atlantic coast. It's still a long way away and could wind up anywhere, but worth keeping an eye on.

This has the makings of a bad season. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not a bad idea to review your plans and backups. I haven't run the generators all summer, so I know I need to do that. Also need to replenish my fuel supply and get the chainsaw blades sharpened. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
With water temps as high as they are right now, in the mid 80's, that's a lot of energy for sustained high energy hurricanes. Lots of activity coming out of the Atlantic.

Hurricane Florence is making it's way across now. Originally thought to just turn north and out to sea, it's now on track to pass just below Bermuda, and the European hurricane model is showing it passing very close to the Mid Atlantic coast. It's still a long way away and could wind up anywhere, but worth keeping an eye on.

This has the makings of a bad season. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not a bad idea to review your plans and backups. I haven't run the generators all summer, so I know I need to do that. Also need to replenish my fuel supply and get the chainsaw blades sharpened. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Good advice. Many of my generators definitely need servicing. :yay: Need to get the fuel supply back up to emergency-preparedness levels too.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm heading to the Outer Banks in a few weeks. Stop all this hurricane talk!

For what they're worth, nearly all the models show it hitting or heading farther north.

But it's too early to put too much credence on them. It's when the majority of the results coalesce that I'll take notice.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
hurricane cats.jpg

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The only prepping I can really do is just plan to grill out if the power goes out. We/I don't have a generator, and I'm not going to get one in case we might lose power, because I would just suggest we all go to a hotel if we have to. :biggrin:

Luckily, Foxhound has all this stuff he uses to go hammock camping, so we can utilize all those MacGyver things, the gas grill and we'd be fine for a week or so.

Living in Prince Frederick, I rarely lose power, so the main thing I'd worry about is water damage from the wind-driven rain, and possibly a tree or 2 in our common areas that are close to the townhouse. We live close enough to walk to all kinds of restaurants, grocery stores, etc. and if we lose power - all of them probably did, too. I doubt we'd be stranded so badly that we couldn't go someplace, though. :yay:

#famouslastwords

Hessian

I am loading up to go to the dump/recycler....woah,...better save my Gallon Tea jugs for fresh water!
Getting up on the roof today to check gutters too!

Salmon

How so? All I see is what we call "weather". It's just another hurricane season...same as every year.

While hurricanes are a natural part of our climate system, recent research suggests that there has been an increase in intense hurricane activity in the North Atlantic since the 1970s. In the future, there may not necessarily be more hurricanes, but there will likely be more intense hurricanes that carry higher wind speeds and more precipitation as a result of global warming. The impacts of this trend are likely to be exacerbated by sea level rise and a growing population along coastlines.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warmi...rricanes-and-climate-change.html#.W5PKGhopCf0

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A credible discussion here:

But while the numbers are not contested, their significance most certainly is. Another study considered how this information was being collected, and research suggested that the increase in reported storms was due to improved monitoring rather than more storms actually taking place.

And to cap it off, two recent peer-reviewed studies completely contradict each other. One paper predicts considerably more storms due to global warming. Another paper suggests the exact opposite – that there will be fewer storms in the future.

What can we conclude from these studies? About hurricane frequency – not much; the jury is out, as they say. About climate change, we can say that these differing approaches are the very stuff of good science, and the science clearly isn’t settled! It is also obvious that researchers are not shying away from refuting associations with climate change, so we can assume they don’t think their funding or salaries are jeopardised by research they believe fails to support the case for AGW. The scientific method is alive and well.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/hurricanes-global-warming.htm

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
These junk scientists who are pacifying RWNJs are a danger to this society.

Quite the opposite is true, shortbus. Real scientists keep doing what they do..in spite of you mindless cultists. What is your advanced degree in, btw?

I be ready. Ran the gennys, got fuel, dropped the chain saw blade off to be sharpened, have enough of those freebee Harbor Freight flashlights to light up a town, and even got the garage straightened out enough to get the truck back in. Poor thing has been sitting outside for months.

And because I have taken all these precautions, we won't get a hurricane here. If I hadn't done the prep work, sure as shootin' a Cat 4 would roll thru here.

Bad news is that most of the tracking models have put the storm heading for the Carolina and mid-Atlantic areas now rather than turning north. Still a few days yet.

Bonehead

Good on you. I spent most of the day helping my two sons prep, they did most of the thinking on their own..just needed some logistics help, pretty good for some 30 year olds. Most are clueless.