Sandbags available starting Tuesday

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Leonardtown, MD – The St. Mary’s County Department of Public Works and Transportation advises citizens sandbags will be available for distribution at the six (6) convenience centers for citizens wishing to prepare for possible flooding conditions due to Hurricane Florence.

Sandbags will be distributed on Tuesday, September 11 and Wednesday, September 12. Sandbags will be available while supplies last at the following locations:

Charlotte Hall – 37766 New Market Turner Road
Oakville – 26630 North Sandgates Road
Clements – 24547 Horseshoe Road
St. Andrews – 44595 St. Andrews Church Road
Valley Lee – 45350 Happyland Road
Ridge – 13939 Point Lookout Road

Convenience Center hours will be as follows:

Tuesday, September 11 – 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Wednesday, September 12 – 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Citizens are reminded this is a self-serve process and staff will be on-site to monitor, but will have limited availability to assist in the filling or loading of sandbags. Sandbags are not pre-filled and each individual will be limited to between 10 and 25 sandbags while supplies last.

Sandbags provide limited protection and are intended to redirect small storm water and debris flows away from structures. It is suggested that residents lay a plastic sheet between the building and the bags to control the flow and prevent water from seeping into the door or window wells. Generally, the placement of bags is stacked up to three layers with each bag being tamped into place.

When sandbags are not available, residents are asked to use local soil or other containers (i.e. small plastic grocery bags and pillow cases). Once used, homeowners should empty the material in the bags into their yards and then properly discard the bags.

For more information go to the Emergency Services website at prepare.stmarysmd.com or the St. Mary’s County Government Facebook page and Twitter feed and use #FlorenceinSMC.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sandbags for Charles County:

http://www.charlescountymd.gov/news-releases/sandbag-distribution-available-county-residents-0

Due to the National Weather Service forecast for heavy rain and flooding, the Charles County Department of Emergency Services is providing sandbags to county residents who need them to protect property. Sandbags and sand will be available Tuesday, Sept. 11 through Thursday, Sept. 13 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Residents can pick up and fill their sandbags at the first parking lot at Laurel Springs Park (5940 Radio Station Rd, La Plata).

There is a limit of 10 bags per person. Residents should bring a shovel to fill the bags. No shovels or other tools will be provided. Please be prepared to provide proof of county residency.

Get the latest Charles County severe weather updates:
Charles County Government website: www.CharlesCountyMD.gov
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CharlesCounty
Twitter: www.Twitter.com/CharlesCoMD
Charles County Government Television (CCGTV): Comcast channel 95 or Verizon channel 10
SMECO Power Outage Map: stormcenter.smeco.coop (Call 877-747-6326 to report an outage.)

Sign up for the Citizen Notification System (CNS), the county’s free emergency notification system, at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/CNS to receive weather, traffic, and road closure notices by text message, email, or phone. Call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.

Grumpy

Calvert

Calvert County Division of Emergency Management (410-535-1600, ext. 2638).
Sandbags are available at 335 Stafford Road in Barstow and you will need to fill them yourself.

They are open from 7am to 7pm. Limit of 10 but you could get more if needed.

Be safe and let’s hope we aren’t hit too hard with the remnants of Florence.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Calvert

Sandbags are available at 335 Stafford Road in Barstow and you will need to fill them yourself.

Where does one get the sand to fill them? Sandbags are worthless without sand.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Calvert

Calvert also has sand and sandbags available at the Sunderland Convenience Center / Dump off of Rte. 2.
At least they did yesterday. I stopped and filled about 6 bags on my way home. I was told that you were allowed up to 10 bags.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Read a tip from someone in a flood are in Florida that if you can't get sandbags you can partially fill extra strength trash bags with water, double tie the opening, and stack them. Just don't fill them so that they are so heavy they can't be handled. When the emergency is over you just move them to a convenient area and punch holes in them to drain and throw the bags away.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
PSA: Anyone stuck with sandbags they found they had/have no use for (I.e...everyone that filled them) is welcome to come dump them out here on St. George's Island. You will be instructed where to dump them by one of our volunteer "Sand Recovery and Shoreline Redistribution Coordinators".

That is all. Thank you.

PSA: Anyone stuck with sandbags they found they had/have no use for (I.e...everyone that filled them) is welcome to come dump them out here on St. George's Island. You will be instructed where to dump them by one of our volunteer "Sand Recovery and Shoreline Redistribution Coordinators".

That is all. Thank you.

Ok, that's cool. Every winter I buy a bunch of sand bags to put in the back of the truck. Come spring, they get tossed in the yard somewhere. I was just looking at the mess trying to decide what to do with them. The plastic bags are disintegrating.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ok, that's cool. Every winter I buy a bunch of sand bags to put in the back of the truck. Come spring, they get tossed in the yard somewhere. I was just looking at the mess trying to decide what to do with them. The plastic bags are disintegrating.

And you already know exactly where to go, too!! Oddly enough..only one site has been designated to receive the sand. :lmao:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Levee
54cac510476e0_-_build-a-levee-0511-synd.jpg

aquadam
aqua-dam-793x526.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Nah. When am I ever?... ;-p

The pine and a cherry tree are goners. Roughly 75% of my shoreline on the St. George Creek side is stabilized but there's another stretch to go that I haven't had the money to complete. It was a mess before this series of assaults...now it's a real mess. Gonna take a lot more than a few sandbags worth to make it right...just thought I'd poke some fun at the expense of those who filled up a few sandbags for...what, I dunno actually..

Last edited: