1 Kings 21 Dogs licking blood

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 21:17 Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite: 18 “Go down to meet Ahab king of Israel, who rules in Samaria. He is now in Naboth’s vineyard, where he has gone to take possession of it. 19 Say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Have you not murdered a man and seized his property?’ Then say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: In the place where dogs licked up Naboth’s blood, dogs will lick up your blood—yes, yours!’”

20 Ahab said to Elijah, “So you have found me, my enemy!”

“I have found you,” he answered, “because you have sold yourself to do evil in the eyes of the Lord. 21 He says, ‘I am going to bring disaster on you. I will wipe out your descendants and cut off from Ahab every last male in Israel—slave or free.[a] 22 I will make your house like that of Jeroboam son of Nebat and that of Baasha son of Ahijah, because you have aroused my anger and have caused Israel to sin.’

23 “And also concerning Jezebel the Lord says: ‘Dogs will devour Jezebel by the wall of(b) Jezreel.’

24 “Dogs will eat those belonging to Ahab who die in the city, and the birds will feed on those who die in the country.”

25 (There was never anyone like Ahab, who sold himself to do evil in the eyes of the Lord, urged on by Jezebel his wife. 26 He behaved in the vilest manner by going after idols, like the Amorites the Lord drove out before Israel.)

27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly.

28 Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite: 29 “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.”​

a. 1 Kings 21:21 Or Israel—every ruler or leader
b. 1 Kings 21:23 Most Hebrew manuscripts; a few Hebrew manuscripts, Vulgate and Syriac (see also 2 Kings 9:26) the plot of ground at

The commentary this morning is from Bible.org.

Elijah told Ahab that Jezebel would also be killed. These are some very strong words, but Ahab had earned his punishment. God had blessed him with being made the earthly King of God’s own people, and Ahab turned his back on God and all this was right. The Bible says, “There was never anyone like Ahab. He gave himself over to do what was evil in the sight of the Lord. His wife Jezebel talked him into it. He acted in the most evil way. He worshiped statues of gods.”​

God had already decreed a punishment - Ahab, Jezebel, and their sons would be destroyed. But because Ahab finally bowed down to the Lord, and acted with humility, God would not punish Ahab’s sons until after Ahab had died.

In time, all that God had spoken came to pass. Ahab died in battle when the Lord decided it should happen (1 Kings 22:20, 37). Jezebel died in the exact way Elijah had prophesied (1 Kings 21:23, 2 Kings 9:33-37). And eventually, all of Ahab’s descendants were killed (2 Kings 10:11).

I want you to know that the Lord has spoken against Ahab's royal house. Not a word of what He has said will fail. The Lord has done exactly what He promised through His servant Elijah." - 2 Kings 10:10​

Dogs wouldn't be licking up a few little drops.... these verses are saying there will be pooling blood... dogs can only lick at drops.... but they will lick a puddle.

Jezebel had the elders find a couple of liars to accuse Naboth of a horrible deed to get his land. In order to take his land... they had to also do away with Naboth's family because the land belonged to the family not the man.... that's how God intended it to be passed down generation to generation.... but the false accusations at the mock trial left Naboth and his family wiped out in a horrible stoning.

When Ahab went to plot out his new veggie garden, he ran into Elijah, the prophet. Elijah was the one who brought on that wicked drought. He's the last guy Ahab wanted to run into. This day has just been spoiled for Ahab. Those veggies will never taste just right now.... because the vision of Elijah in that very garden on that very morning will spoil any enjoyment those veggies might have brought. And on top of that... Elijah is bringing problems again. What's this? Blood will be licked up by dogs... oh this is horrible.... Ahab knows he's in trouble so he "repents". God let him off that day... but the judgement is still coming..... Jezebel is too evil to let her go for long.

:coffee:

Last edited: