Political signs

GregV814

As we drive on the highways we are blinded by political ads saying vote for me, this party etc....one caught my eye this morning. Some guy is running for register of wills in Calvert County. I don’t know him, but he is smiling....his platform is “a new direction”. I don’t know, do we need a new direction for some guy to go forth when deciding probate??? And is every African American with a smile running for office in Prince George’s county???

SamSpade

Two things you can bet on in politics -

1. A campaign will always run on doing something "new" - as in, untried, fresh, different - something almost impossible to achieve, but everyone says it.

AND

2. It will work, because voters almost always think "new" means "better than what we have", because that's the way advertising has always worked.

"New and improved" is the most standard cliche in advertising, but you can go back a hundred years in politics, and everyone says it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Two things you can bet on in politics -

1. A campaign will always run on doing something "new" - as in, untried, fresh, different - something almost impossible to achieve, but everyone says it.

AND

2. It will work, because voters almost always think "new" means "better than what we have", because that's the way advertising has always worked.

"New and improved" is the most standard cliche in advertising, but you can go back a hundred years in politics, and everyone says it.

It worked for Obama.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I have to say the Dems must feel emboldened this year based on the number of signs. The guy running against Deb Ray this year (Crosby) has signs EVERYWHERE.

awpitt

Main Streeter
As we drive on the highways we are blinded by political ads saying vote for me, this party etc....one caught my eye this morning. Some guy is running for register of wills in Calvert County. I don’t know him, but he is smiling....his platform is “a new direction”. I don’t know, do we need a new direction for some guy to go forth when deciding probate??? And is every African American with a smile running for office in Prince George’s county???

The Register of Wills does not decide probate. I don't even know why this is an elected office. Probate is decided by the judges of the Orphan's court.

Last edited:

BusinessTime

I'm hoping to heck that Deb Rey will be a one hit wonder. She surely is a one issue candidate - guns guns guns - all the time. And she has some special pets. She is a poor listener, a poor critical thinker and she doesn't now how to be quiet at public events, EVER. I'd love to see someone effective in that seat

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm hoping to heck that Deb Rey will be a one hit wonder. She surely is a one issue candidate - guns guns guns - all the time. And she has some special pets. She is a poor listener, a poor critical thinker and she doesn't now how to be quiet at public events, EVER. I'd love to see someone effective in that seat

I've talked to her a few times and found her to be intelligent and articulate. On top of that I like someone who takes the time to get out and walk and talk to people in the neighborhoods that she represents.

TPD

the poor dad

I will disagree with you on this. She has sat in my office numerous times for more than an hour listening to my concerns as a business owner and taxpaying citizen. I think she has been effective.

BusinessTime

In my experience that is usually translated as "She doesn't give me the answer I want or tell me what I want to hear."
Not that at all. I find that she is only interested in some pretty narrow topics & special interests. She is preoccupied with gun rights to the exclusion of other issues (for the record, I am a gun owner). She is a poor listener, she interrupts, dismisses & sometimes laughs when she hears things she doesn't agree with or like. I have seen her many, many times talking while others are trying to talk at public forums. It is pretty strange behavior frankly. I just don't find her to be a good critical thinker. I don't think she is effective at representing many of us. Her special interests, sure I guess she is effective if she is in your corner. I'm not going to elaborate on my personal experiences with her & how they came to be, I'll just say that plenty of times I have encountered politicians I don't agree with or who may not give an answer I like or agree with, but I have mostly found them to at the very least be listening, not arguing the entire time or be belittling & dismissive