Cartoonist Slammed As 'Racist' For Serena Williams Cartoon

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Australian cartoonist Mark Knight was hit with massive backlash for depicting tennis superstar Serena Williams' US Open meltdown on Saturday in a cartoon for the Herald Sun.

Knight was immediately knocked as racist and sexist for drawing an angry Williams with exaggerated features stomping on her tennis racket with a pacifier nearby on the court. In the background, the chair umpire is shown asking 20-year-old Naomi Osaka, "Can you just let her win?"

"I drew this cartoon Sunday night after seeing the US Open final, and seeing the world’s best tennis player have a tantrum and thought that was interesting," Knight said. "The cartoon about Serena is about her poor behaviour on the day, not about race. The world has just gone crazy."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/3572...-serena-williams-cartoon-amanda-prestigiacomo

well it is Australasia objections here will not get much traction

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What jumped out at me is how the cartoonist portrayed Naomi Osaka as a white girl with a blonde ponytail. Forget how offensive it is for him to portray Serena as a fat ghetto Walmart mama.

By all accounts Serena is a nice woman, a fair player, and a generous supporter of young tennis players. She doesn't deserve this ugliness and you all are going to hell for engaging in it.

This_person

By all accounts Serena is a nice woman, a fair player, and a generous supporter of young tennis players. She doesn't deserve this ugliness and you all are going to hell for engaging in it.

I have only read the headlines and very little knowledge of the subject. That said, I am guessing the referee also did not deserve the ugliness reported.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Forget how offensive it is for him to portray Serena as a fat ghetto Walmart mama.

what would a Cartoonist in Australia know about this

Australia does not have the 'Fat Ghetto Walmart Mama" that we have in the US

Smokey1

What jumped out at me is how the cartoonist portrayed Naomi Osaka as a white girl with a blonde ponytail. Forget how offensive it is for him to portray Serena as a fat ghetto Walmart mama.

Osaka's hair was dyed blonde so the cartoon was accurate. Why do you believe Serena shouldn't be responsible for her horrible behavior?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have only read the headlines and very little knowledge of the subject. That said, I am guessing the referee also did not deserve the ugliness reported.

It wasn't that big a deal. Serena yelled at him, argued with him, and in the heat of the moment she said that because he robbed her of a point, he was also a thief. She rightfully said that men aren't punished in this manner, and she's right - there are any number of examples of male players yelling and cussing this exact same official and only receiving a warning.

The media and general public who didn't even watch it are tut tutting about her "horrible tirade", and those who follow tennis and actually saw the match are like, "Meh."

Serena's "epic meltdown" wasn't all that. What the cartoonist perfectly captured was the difference between big powerful Serena and little bitty feminine Naomi, and I have no doubt that that physical difference is what is people are reacting to. Had it been girlie Naomi yelling at a ref, they'd have been like, "Isn't she cute? :cheekpinch:" But because she's a muscular black woman, she's seen as threatening.

I have no doubt that's what is fueling this.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I reacted to "ist"

As soon as her claim came out that is was "______ist!" I was done.

But what if she's right, as the tennis associations and players are claiming? Is it not possible that there is indeed sexism in sports?

I'd have gone with "racist", actually. It's to Serena's credit that she hasn't thrown that out there, because over the years I've seen any number of racist insults thrown at her - there are examples right in these threads on the subject, as a matter of fact.

Salmon

I don’t know what’s more offensive: the cartoon or those of you defending the cartoon.

Smokey1

It wasn't that big a deal. Serena yelled at him, argued with him, and in the heat of the moment she said that because he robbed her of a point, he was also a thief. She rightfully said that men aren't punished in this manner, and she's right - there are any number of examples of male players yelling and cussing this exact same official and only receiving a warning.

The media and general public who didn't even watch it are tut tutting about her "horrible tirade", and those who follow tennis and actually saw the match are like, "Meh."

Serena's "epic meltdown" wasn't all that. What the cartoonist perfectly captured was the difference between big powerful Serena and little bitty feminine Naomi, and I have no doubt that that physical difference is what is people are reacting to. Had it been girlie Naomi yelling at a ref, they'd have been like, "Isn't she cute? :cheekpinch:" But because she's a muscular black woman, she's seen as threatening.

I have no doubt that's what is fueling this.

People have looked into the tennis officials history and found that he is tough but consistent with all players, male and female. You need to provide actual evidence that men are not treated the same as women under this official.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People have looked into the tennis officials history and found that he is tough but consistent with all players, male and female. You need to provide actual evidence that men are not treated the same as women under this official.

I already posted the link in another thread.