Kerry: Allawi's Take on Iraq Unrealistic

SamSpade

Yeah, that was my take on it too. But, I've come across this before. I was on another site a few months ago where two women were arguing about how it is in Iraq, and one of them had a son there whose letter she quoted from, basically saying it's not that bad at all. The other, who had NO son or husband in Iraq said her SON had no idea what he was talking about! (Not the mother, mind you, but the one who is physically THERE, NOW).

Now my thought is this - if things really are going to hell in a handbasket there, you know Allawi's azz is on the line. It would be very much in his interest to complain about the Americans if it were so, and to hope for a Kerry win. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

This morning on WMAL, one of the DJ's referred to an interview last night with Allawi on Lehrer, so I will have to look it up; but his comment was, jeez, I'd vote for ALLAWI for President before Kerry - at least, his message isn't constantly doom and gloom. Do you ever get a sense of optimism from Kerry? In any case, the comment was made that of 18 provinces in Iraq, 15 of them are violence-free - it's just the same three where most of the 'action' is.

He also commented on Kerry's remarks yesterday about "no-go" zones. Fred Grandy said "No-go zones! There are some of those right here in the U.S. We have several just in L.A.".

I could not believe Kerry was honestly claiming that he knew better about Iraq than the Iraqi prime minister. Of course, he was relying on the same sources of intelligence that told us everything ELSE he vilified about Iraq.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
sleuth said:
because...Kerry well... you know... he's the one who's actually in Iraq witnessing it first-hand. He obviously knows better than the frieking PRIME MINISTER!!! of Iraq.
That is almost verbatim what I told my daughter's Kerry-supporting friend last night. :lol:

Doug called yesterday and he says don't believe what you see on the news. He says that the vast majority of Iraqis are pro-US and are excited about the elections and optimistic about the future. I told him that there was some poll that said most Iraqis hate Americans and want the troops gone and he replied that that's bullshit - said they must have taken the poll in some terrorist camp. :lol:

S

Shutterbug

It is interesting that you would post this. I have a friend of mine (ARMY) who just spent 15 months in Iraq. I asked her what she thought about the war, and her response was that the U.S. is doing a world of good over there. She had been part of a group that helped rebuild schools. Her take on it was that the Iraqi people were happy that the U.S. was there helping them to get their lives back in order, and she didn't regret being there one bit. In fact, she would like to go back to continue to help. I thought that was interesting.

J.South

Let's get drunk
Does anyone know the casualty rate in Iraq...And if were fairing as well as you all say we are why is it that the US Army continues to call veterans back in service?

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
J.South said:
Does anyone know the casualty rate in Iraq...And if were fairing as well as you all say we are why is it that the US Army continues to call veterans back in service?
#1, Veterans are NOT being called back into service - Reservists are. There's a difference.

#2, the casualty rate in Iraq doesn't even come close to the casualty rate here in the US for car accidents, let alone the total casualty rate.

Go do some reading, then come back and we'll have this conversation.

J.South

Let's get drunk
vraiblonde said:
#1, Veterans are NOT being called back into service - Reservists are. There's a difference.

#2, the casualty rate in Iraq doesn't even come close to the casualty rate here in the US for car accidents, let alone the total casualty rate.

Go do some reading, then come back and we'll have this conversation.

My friend just got called back and left for Iraq on the 9th... Inactive reserve isnt the same as a weekend warrior

J.South

Let's get drunk
Reservists go and drill a weekend a month

When you get discharged from the service you are placed on inactive reserve status that means....no drilling...no weekend warrior stuff

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
J.South said:
Do you know what call back into service means? What service were you in?
Of course I know what it means. My son is currently enlisted and sitting with the 1st Cav in Baghdad, born in a military hospital because my ex-husband was regular Army. So I do know a little bit about it.

Former military who have completed their enlistment agreement aren't being called back. It's just the Reservists who still have some time they owe Uncle Sam. "Inactive" only means that your friend didn't have to perform regular duties or training, it doesn't mean he's free and clear.

J.South

Let's get drunk
Just like what this thread is talking about you are trying tell me what my status is as a veteran... And you didnt even serve...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
J.South said:
Just like what this thread is talking about you are trying tell me what my status is as a veteran... And you didnt even serve...
Are you crazy or do you simply have a reading comprehension problem?

Gooseneck

J.South said:

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=guard_joining_reserve.htm

You should be able to find out how your friend was recalled to active duty by visiting this link.

As to why he was recalled, you need look no farther than Bill Clinton. His administration substantially reduced the size of the military after the first Gulf War.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
J.South said:
My friend just got called back and left for Iraq on the 9th... Inactive reserve isnt the same as a weekend warrior
Inactive reserves are called up if they are in a critical skill, is he a combat engineer or security force type, if so he may have been called to finish out his obligation as these are the two types needed most.

J.South

Let's get drunk

Gooseneck

J.South said:
The Clinton admin affected Officers
I know the how he was called up
He is commo assign to a maintence batt
You missed my point.

Clinton gutted the military. Army Divisions were reduced from 14 to 10, Fighter Wings were reduced from 24 to 13 and Navy ships were reduced from 546 to 316.

The number of active duty servicemen was reduced from 2 million to 1.4 million.

The military is stretched thin. In all probablity, your friend wouldn't be needed now if it weren't for Clinton.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
J.South said:
Reservists go and drill a weekend a month

When you get discharged from the service you are placed on inactive reserve status that means....no drilling...no weekend warrior stuff
As everyone else out here was so keen to spot, YOU do not know what the H-E-double toothpicks you are talking about - even if you are ex-military.

A reservist can be called up, even if they are part of the non-drilling inactive reserves. The key word here is RESERVES. Active reserves, inactive reserves...all available for recall. When you hear about veterans being called to active duty, that means the people who are no longer part of any reserves or are on the retired list. VERY RARE when it happens, but it does. The last time I recall veteran's being called back into service was back in the 80's when they took the battleships out of mothballs and made them active ships again. The Navy did a VOLUNTARY recall for gunner's mates so the old vets could teach the young sprouts how to maintain and fire the 16 inch guns.

If you are in the inactive reserve, yes...you do not drill, but you damn sure are available for recall!

Oh yeah...retired Navy speaking here, so I do know a little about this subject.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
J.South said:
The Clinton admin affected Officers
I know the how he was called up
He is commo assign to a maintence batt
Wrong again. You must have still been suckling on Momma's breast at home if you think Clinton's crap only affected the officers. I was there. Officer, enlisted...didn't matter. The military was being downsized and the axe fell everywhere.