Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Whole Roof Replacement - Your Recent Experience

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NBF View Post
    spr1975wshs, thank you for the advice. Can you please tell me why these shingles cost so much per bundle "Item # 787514 Model # 0464479
    GAF Timberline American Harvest 33.33-sq ft Midnight Blush Laminated Architectural Roof Shingles"? Are these one tab or three tab and are they 50-year shingles? I appreciate the information. Do you think it it cheaper to find a roofer myself or go through Lowe's as a middle man? I mean, if the local stores do not have much control over the local contractors, why add Lowe's to the mix? NBF
    I have no idea about how Lowe's and the suppliers agree on retail pricing.

Main caution I have is, adding any middle man adds their profit to the cost.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Lowe's sure does seem to be going downhill fast. Their "contracted" delivery service is not a plus.
    Which has been a big bone of contention amongst the employee community.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by DQ2B View Post
    Who did you use?
    I went to BMI metals in Charlotte Hall, off Ryceville Road (Amish) The roofing metal is $2.50 a linier foot and the sheets are 3 feet wide, cut to any length you want. They have a list of "contractors" they use. I chose Eli Kurtz, he came out took the measurements and gave me the price. They used 1"x4" boards over the existing shingles then the roofing on top of that. They (4 guys) started at 8 and were done, cleaned up everything and gone by 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    I went to BMI metals in Charlotte Hall, off Ryceville Road (Amish) The roofing metal is $2.50 a linier foot and the sheets are 3 feet wide, cut to any length you want. They have a list of "contractors" they use. I chose Eli Kurtz, he came out took the measurements and gave me the price. They used 1"x4" boards over the existing shingles then the roofing on top of that. They (4 guys) started at 8 and were done, cleaned up everything and gone by 2.
    BMI? Not the same as Brookline I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    Sam and his family found a nice little niche for themselves.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by DQ2B View Post
    BMI? Not the same as Brookline I assume?
    Brookline Metals Inc., isn't it?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Brookline Metals Inc., isn't it?
    Oh, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 74