Informal Trump opinion poll

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How many of you who didn't really care for Trump but held your nose and voted for him anyway are now seeing him in a more favorable light?

How many are seeing him less favorably?

And what has changed or solidified your opinion?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
How many of you who didn't really care for Trump but held your nose and voted for him anyway are now seeing him in a more favorable light?

Didn't vote for him because I thought that if I was going to have a wasted vote it may as well go towards reinforcing the credibility of the Libertarian party. This was also a hold your nose issue because Gary Johnson was almost as bad of a candidate as Hillary. As far as Trump goes as President I'd give him a 6.5-7 out of 10 for running things and a solid 8 for entertainment factor. I figure Hill would treat issues such as N.Korea and Palestine the same as BO, W, and Bill did, ways that have been proven to not to work. Trump has definitely went a different direction on these issues, some working and others still simmering. On a personal level I'll never like the guy, but I don't like a lot of people and still give them their props for the work accomplished.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which reminds me of a Part B:

How many of you didn't vote for Trump but are inclined to vote for him in 2020, barring any complications or changes in situation?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Which reminds me of a Part B:

How many of you didn't vote for Trump but are inclined to vote for him in 2020, barring any complications or changes in situation?

:yay:

not that my vote matters in PG County with 80% Dems

limblips

As long as he continues to upset tranny, sappy and fishlips he is doing great in my opinion! As rough as he is, I have to agree with most of his stands. To me the most interesting thing he is doing is stirring the pot and exposing the embedded political machine for what they are, corrupt, incestuous bastards. He has them all looking back over their shoulders. Now if he would fire Sessions and put in a AG that will prosecute violations from both sides......

SamSpade

I'd have to say that I didn't exactly hold my nose - but I was never so much FOR him as I would have voted for Hitler over Hillary.
Even the decaying corpse of Hitler. I cannot think of a public figure I have ever detested as much as her, and that includes
people like Ted Kennedy.

That said - I grew to like some of what he said, even if I thought he was your typical loud-mouthed braggart New Yorker,
who claimed a lot more genius than he was likely to have. Moreover, in 1980 I didn't care much for Reagan, and it probably
took about six years to warm up to him. So I've been wrong before.

I never expected him to "act Presidential". I voted for him because I believed he could deliver what he promised.
Which - BTW - had I believed that Obama could deliver a lot of the things he sort of promised - I might have voted for him.
For instance, he in 2008 claimed to be for an expansion of nuclear power - great - but hinged it on Yucca Mountain.
Translation - not for it at all. Stuff like that led me to believe he's not going to do anything outside the liberal boilerplate.

You know some of the things I liked about Reagan? He told the air traffic controllers they could go pound sand. He scared
the sh*t out of the Russians. He tactfully told the left they were full of crap, and managed to get them to laugh about it.
I was in college then - none of the faculty liked him, and the campus was full of how "dangerous" he was. When a recession
happened in his first term, I was called an idiot for believing he had any idea what he was doing.

So - I've also been here before.

CPUSA

I enthusiastically voted for Trump and I will again.
And if anything...ANYTHING should happen to him, I will consider it a shot across MY bow and will act accordingly...

And yes, this will include "Natural Causes", such as SC Scalia's untimely circumstances

This_person

My concerns for Trump have always been:

1) How he comes across (often crass, often knee-jerk). This has not changed, though his ability to prove grasp of concepts after his initial seemingly knee-jerk reactions has demonstrated to me that how he comes across is far less of an issue except to those looking to find fault with him.

2) His scatter-brainness (or, ability to multi-task, depending upon with whom you speak). This impression of him by me has greatly improved. He clearly can talk Kapernick, nuclear-Korea, and trade issues all in one day without losing focus on any of them. Whether he simply has a different style of press control, or actually is doing more things at once I am not sure. But, the things that seemed to derail focus of other administrations does not seem to derail his, which is an improvement over my initial impressions.

3) His commitment to gun-control repeal. Based on not a single act seemingly in the works to make a national concealed/open carry permit based on the second amendment in the works, my impression is not improved in this area. My concerns of his liberal stances in the past are not coming true, but his touted conservative stances are also not coming true.

4) His ability to follow the rule of law. Since I do not see Clinton or Obama real crimes being prosecuted, and it is reported he wants to keep the AG from prosecuting drug laws while working to change the drug laws, I am very not impressed with his ability to be the chief law enforcement officer of the nation.

5) His liberal practices on budget. He signed the last omnibus spending bill. Need I say more?

6) His complete lack of experience in foreign policy. He is far better at this on so many levels it's not even funny. I find him much better than I ever thought he could be. Whether that is great people supporting/training him, or himself, I do not know or care. He's doing great, and that's all I need to know.

7) Not a concern, but he has solidified in me the belief he would offer good judge nominees.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'd have to say that I didn't exactly hold my nose - but I was never so much FOR him as I would have voted for Hitler over Hillary.
Even the decaying corpse of Hitler. I cannot think of a public figure I have ever detested as much as her, and that includes
people like Ted Kennedy.

That ^ is exactly where I was, going in to the election. I didn't have much of any opinion about Trump; some of his utterances and his style I often found cringeworthy.

Over the last two years I've developed grudging respect for his ability to get things done...and a great respect for how he's approaching world politics and upsetting old "norms" about how we were supposed to deal with friends and foes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I enthusiastically voted for Trump and I will again.
And if anything...ANYTHING should happen to him, I will consider it a shot across MY bow and will act accordingly...

And yes, this will include "Natural Causes", such as SC Scalia's untimely circumstances

I agree with this. At first I was like, "Ha ha, Donald Trump is running for President!" Then I listened to him, and listened to his critics (my mortal enemies: the media, the Democrats, and the Republicans) and started thinking, "Hmmm....The Donald may be onto something here." Then I saw how he responded to the attempted smears and takedown, and was like, THERE is my President! THERE'S the one. THAT is the leader I've been waiting my whole life to see.

There's not a lot he can do at this point to make me A) not vote for him in 2020; or B) vote for some ####ing corrupt filthy dirty POS Democrat. If nothing else, President Trump has outed these slimy aholes and I will never - EVER - vote for another Democrat again. These past two years, they have revealed themselves for exactly what they are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
didn't vote

Not that I want your attempt to derail this discussion to succeed, but Gurps has said numerous times that he didn't vote in the President part of the 2016 election. He voted for most/some/all of the rest, but not the President.

Now you can butt the hell out since you neither voted for Trump, nor would you consider voting for him in the future. See OP for thread topic.

This_person

My concerns for Trump have always been:

1) How he comes across (often crass, often knee-jerk). This has not changed, though his ability to prove grasp of concepts after his initial seemingly knee-jerk reactions has demonstrated to me that how he comes across is far less of an issue except to those looking to find fault with him.

2) His scatter-brainness (or, ability to multi-task, depending upon with whom you speak). This impression of him by me has greatly improved. He clearly can talk Kapernick, nuclear-Korea, and trade issues all in one day without losing focus on any of them. Whether he simply has a different style of press control, or actually is doing more things at once I am not sure. But, the things that seemed to derail focus of other administrations does not seem to derail his, which is an improvement over my initial impressions.

3) His commitment to gun-control repeal. Based on not a single act seemingly in the works to make a national concealed/open carry permit based on the second amendment in the works, my impression is not improved in this area. My concerns of his liberal stances in the past are not coming true, but his touted conservative stances are also not coming true.

4) His ability to follow the rule of law. Since I do not see Clinton or Obama real crimes being prosecuted, and it is reported he wants to keep the AG from prosecuting drug laws while working to change the drug laws, I am very not impressed with his ability to be the chief law enforcement officer of the nation.

5) His liberal practices on budget. He signed the last omnibus spending bill. Need I say more?

6) His complete lack of experience in foreign policy. He is far better at this on so many levels it's not even funny. I find him much better than I ever thought he could be. Whether that is great people supporting/training him, or himself, I do not know or care. He's doing great, and that's all I need to know.

7) Not a concern, but he has solidified in me the belief he would offer good judge nominees.

Vrai, what are your thoughts? Is he doing what you wanted, better, worse? What is he missing? What surprised you that he has accomplished?

Midnightrider

Not that I want your attempt to derail this discussion to succeed, but Gurps has said numerous times that he didn't vote in the President part of the 2016 election. He voted for most/some/all of the rest, but not the President.

Now you can butt the hell out since you neither voted for Trump, nor would you consider voting for him in the future. See OP for thread topic.
hey said that alright, after he started taking #### for saying that he hadnt voted. It was a fun couple of hours watching his story emerge. :yay:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

MR is still stuck on Stupid because I stated in the run up to the election I was not going to vote at all .... but I changed my mind - local voting still might matter

not that ANYTHING stated on the Internet really matters ... unless he was standing behind me at the local poling place he doesn't know WTF he is talking about