Commentary: Trump tariffs only a weak blow to China

CPUSA

average trump hater.jpg ...

Your parents had ONE job!!
And they failed miserably!! They should be retroactively aborted right along with you.

SamSpade

China has been matching our tariffs dollar for dollar.

There's a problem with that, however -

They export to us a *LOT* more than they import from us.

They're going to run out of stuff to tariff. They need us.

They'll crack, sooner or later.

SamSpade

but, but, but .... China is 'expanding' into Africa

So is everyone else. I'm not too worried about it.

And I don't think we'll see a modern Africa in our lifetimes. Too much infrastructure has never been made.

This_person

China has been matching our tariffs dollar for dollar.

There's a problem with that, however -

They export to us a *LOT* more than they import from us.

They're going to run out of stuff to tariff. They need us.

They'll crack, sooner or later.

Generally speaking, the one with the money wins a trade war, not the one with the product. Especially the one with both the money and the ability to provide the product to themselves in short order :yay:

SamSpade

Good for them.

Let them sell villagers in Zimbabwe, Zambia and Uganda 55" flat screen TVs, computers and iPhones.

:yay:

Now THAT actually is possible.

Granted, I've only been to Ethiopia - twice - and it IS in fact one of the poorest nations in the world.

But it was astonishing to see little corrugated metal huts held together with bailing wire and having dirt floors and rocks on the metal roof to keep it on in high winds -

A *LOT* of them had satellite dishes. A LOT of them. You look out over the city, and there are people with two sets of clothes - total -
and a cell phone. And Satellite TV in their hut. And a laptop. I know it's weird, but that's what I saw.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You look out over the city, and there are people with two sets of clothes - total -
and a cell phone. And Satellite TV in their hut. And a laptop. I know it's weird, but that's what I saw.

IMHO ...

Africa will never have the Highway system America does, nor the Telephone system, they have leap frog-ed over Wire Telephones to Cell Phones

the same with Internet - it will come via Wi-Fi

SamSpade

IMHO ...

Africa will never have the Highway system America does, nor the Telephone system, they have leap frog-ed over Wire Telephones to Cell Phones

the same with Internet - it will come via Wi-Fi

True - far too many in Africa - outside of the cities - either do not have a car or live in such a way that a car would be a luxury far beyond their means.

So if by chance a government in say, Sudan or Ethiopia or Kenya - or anywhere else in the Horn of Africa - should try to build a modern highway system -
it wouldn't be used. Except possibly by trucks - who would have to compete with the donkeys and mules and cattle.

They typically have very weak air travel - for freight - or a rail system.

What would work is if ONE of them were able to exploit a very valuable resource and build their nation around that - and escape the trappings of corruption.

Right now, Ethiopia is working to use the one resource they really have to gain power in the region - they're essentially the source of the Nile, and the elevation
in the country makes them a primary candidate for hydropower.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A *LOT* of them had satellite dishes. A LOT of them. You look out over the city, and there are people with two sets of clothes - total -

Peoples priorities are sometimes surprising.