2 Kings 2 Elisha's tests

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 2:1 When the Lord was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal. 2 Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here; the Lord has sent me to Bethel.”

But Elisha said, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So they went down to Bethel.

3 The company of the prophets at Bethel came out to Elisha and asked, “Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?”

“Yes, I know,” Elisha replied, “so be quiet.”

4 Then Elijah said to him, “Stay here, Elisha; the Lord has sent me to Jericho.”

And he replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So they went to Jericho.

5 The company of the prophets at Jericho went up to Elisha and asked him, “Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?”

“Yes, I know,” he replied, “so be quiet.”

6 Then Elijah said to him, “Stay here; the Lord has sent me to the Jordan.”

And he replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So the two of them walked on.​

I met Elisha back in 1 Kings 19:19-21. When he told Elisha that he was going to go with him.... Elijah asked him "What have I done to you?". So it looks like Elisha is still on Elijah's coat tails and they're still arguing about it.... this Bible can be a real gas.

It appears here that Elijah is about to have his own prophecy fulfilled and he's not sure Elisha is ready to take on the task.

This is from bible-studys.org.

Elijah was in this world, but he had never been of this world. His life had been full of dramatic happenings. More than once, Elijah had called down fire from heaven. He was the prophet, who had miraculous happenings, more than the others. He will go to heaven as he had lived on the earth, in a miraculous happening. It is stating in the verse above, the ascension of Elijah in a whirlwind, as if it had already happened. Elijah, like Enoch, is still alive. They did not go the way of the grave. Elisha had abandoned home and family to follow Elijah. It seems, they had now gone to Gilgal.

“Beth-el”: A town in Benjamin about 8 miles north of Jerusalem, where one of Israel’s false worship centers was located (see note on 1 Kings 12:29).

Elisha had stayed with Elijah for years. He was not about to leave him now. Elijah knows that his life on earth is coming to an end. He possibly does not want Elisha to see his last hours. He could want to be alone. It is probably and evident to Elisha too, and he wants to be there and witness the home-going of Elijah.

It appears, that even at Jericho the prophets and their sons know, Elijah is about to leave this earth. This is the very reason Elisha will not let Elijah out of his sight.

This is from the easy English site.

Elijah went to say goodbye to the groups of prophets. These were groups of people who were loyal to God. It seems that they lived together. And their families lived with them. Some of the members of these groups were able to prophesy. But it is unlikely that they were all prophets. In the original language, the name for these groups is ‘the sons of the prophets’. That name may simply mean that these groups were loyal to the prophets’ message about God.

The groups of prophets already knew that Elijah would go to heaven on that day. Elisha also knew it. However, he did not wish to talk about it. This was both a serious and a holy moment for him. Soon, Elijah would leave Elisha, and Elisha would become Israel’s main prophet. Elisha did not want this to be a matter for public conversation.

Apparently Elijah had a series of stops he needed to make before God took him up. He knew he was going... he wasn't on a deathbed. Elijah was apparently the subject of a lot of talk among the prophets. It seemed to be public knowledge.

Elisha, on the other hand, wasn't facing a ride to heaven on the wind.... Elisha was about to take on Elijah's place as prophet here. I think it's telling that Elisha doesn't want to miss a single minute of Elijah's last hours. Apparently he's seen the future [like a movie trailer?] and he wants to witness the whole thing in person.

One last little tidbit. The places Elijah is visiting... they are like seminary schools. This is from Biblestudytools.com.

This Gilgal (Jiljil) was near Ebal and Gerizim; a school of the prophets was established there. At Beth-el there was also a school of the prophets, which Elijah had founded, notwithstanding that place was the headquarters of the calf-worship; and at Jericho there was another. In travelling to these places, which he had done through the impulse of the Spirit, Elijah wished to pay a farewell visit to these several institutions, which lay on his way to the place of ascension and, at the same time, from a feeling of humility and modesty, to be in solitude, where there would be no eye-witnesses of his glorification. All his efforts, however, to prevail on his attendant to remain behind, were fruitless. Elisha knew that the time was at hand, and at every place the sons of the prophets spoke to him of the approaching removal of his master. Their last stage was at the Jordan. They were followed at a distance by fifty scholars of the prophets, from Jericho, who were desirous, in honor of the great occasion, to witness the miraculous translation of the prophet. The revelation of this striking event to so many was a necessary part of the dispensation; for it was designed to be under the law, like that of Enoch in the patriarchal age, a visible proof of another state, and a type of the resurrection of Christ.​

:coffee: