Revelation 1 About John

seekeroftruth

Revelation 1:1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.​

Sometimes people hear about a study on Revelation and they get all excited. I mean who wouldn't want to read about dragons with multiple heads and the apocalypse. It's been the subject of movies. Let's be honest.... with all the earthquakes, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions lately... it does seem that something is in the wind.

People who haven't attended Sunday School or Bible Studies might not know who John is. I know people who think this book, the Gospel of John, and the three letters are all the work of John the Baptist. John the Baptist was beheaded way before these books were written. But... to clear up any questions.... I want to clear that up.

The man named John, who is reported to have written Revelation, the Gospel John, and the three letters published in the Bible [1, 2, and 3 John] was an Apostle.

This is from gotquestions.org.

Not to be confused with John the Baptist, the Apostle John is the brother of James, another of the twelve disciples of Jesus. Together, they were called by Jesus “Boanerges,” which means “sons of thunder,” and therein we find a key to John’s personality. Both brothers were characterized by zeal, passion and ambition. In his early days with Jesus, at times John acted rashly, recklessly, impetuously, and aggressively. We see him in Mark 9 forbidding a man to cast out demons in Jesus’ name because he was not part of the twelve (Mark 9:38-41). Jesus gently rebuked him, saying no one could cast out demons in Jesus’ name and then turn around and speak evil of Him. In Luke 9:51-54, we see the brothers wanting to call down fire from heaven to destroy the Samaritans who refused to welcome Jesus. Again, Jesus had to rebuke them for their intolerance and lack of genuine love for the lost. John’s zeal for Jesus was also influenced by his natural ambition, as seen in his request (through his mother) that he and his brother be seated on Jesus’ right and left hands in the kingdom, an incident that caused a temporary rift between the brothers and the other disciples (Matthew 20:20-24).​

This thought bugged me all day long yesterday.

Jesus is the Son of God. The Bible says that Jesus was standing right there while God was creating the universe. Now how would John have known that if Jesus hadn't told him. It's not recorded that Jesus told the disciples that He was there when God came up with the whole idea, but John wrote it.

That got me to thinking.... There must have been a lot of things Jesus said to his best human buddy, John, that were never recorded.

Here's another thing.... Jesus was right there when the first human brain was created.... and he knew what it is capable of. I've heard it said that we only use 10% of our brain. That leaves a lot of brain power that we just haven't figured out yet. Jesus would have known how to use 100% of His human brain. Jesus would have also known how to use the other 90% of a disciples brain as well... right?

Also.... Jesus knew that John would be writing Revelation. Wouldn't it make sense that a lot of this stuff was already discussed. Can you see Jesus and John talking in strict confidence. Going through the Bible we've seen plenty of examples of how God has silenced people. Wouldn't it be gentler on John for Jesus to give John specific special knowledge that can be unlocked later by an angel?

Let me try to explain it this way.... I see my brain like a great filing system. Everything is filed somewhere.... and at times, it's hard to pull a memory up [like the name of that person I know I know but can't get the name to come up]. I figure it's misfiled in my brain... it'll show up... later [after that person has left]. Sometimes I think of getting old as loosing the key to my brains filing system. Maybe John had a file that Jesus gave him.... and all the angel had to do was help him sort it out.

For now... John the disciple is sitting with pen in hand getting ready to write Revelation. He's a personal friend of Jesus Christ. He's got a prophecy for someone. An angel has been assigned to help. Here we go....

:coffee: