2 Kings 2 Twice across the Jordan

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 2:7 Fifty men from the company of the prophets went and stood at a distance, facing the place where Elijah and Elisha had stopped at the Jordan. 8 Elijah took his cloak, rolled it up and struck the water with it. The water divided to the right and to the left, and the two of them crossed over on dry ground.

9 When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?”

“Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.

10 “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not.”

11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. 12 Elisha saw this and cried out, “My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!” And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his garment and tore it in two.

13 Elisha then picked up Elijah’s cloak that had fallen from him and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. 14 He took the cloak that had fallen from Elijah and struck the water with it. “Where now is the Lord, the God of Elijah?” he asked. When he struck the water, it divided to the right and to the left, and he crossed over.

15 The company of the prophets from Jericho, who were watching, said, “The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha.” And they went to meet him and bowed to the ground before him. 16 “Look,” they said, “we your servants have fifty able men. Let them go and look for your master. Perhaps the Spirit of the Lord has picked him up and set him down on some mountain or in some valley.”

“No,” Elisha replied, “do not send them.”

17 But they persisted until he was too embarrassed to refuse. So he said, “Send them.” And they sent fifty men, who searched for three days but did not find him. 18 When they returned to Elisha, who was staying in Jericho, he said to them, “Didn’t I tell you not to go?”​

So almost everyone is familiar with the story of Moses crossing of the Jordan. Most people don't talk about Elisha. He crossed the Jordan on dry ground when Elijah took him... and then he used Elijah's cloak and his double portion of his spirit... and then he walked across the Jordan again. Quite a feat to be called a coincidence of nature.

Then this story goes into the grand exit of Elijah. I've seen a lot of things in the sky. I've seen lots of cloud formations, hurricanes, a tornado, dust devils, thunderstorms, birds, planes, and even a couple of squirrels that use to seem to fly in the tree limbs.... but chariots and horses.... that's also quite a feat to be called a coincidence of nature.

Apparently... fifty men saw Elijah's grand exit. They couldn't believe it and wanted to go look for him.... smoke and mirrors they would have said... right? Elijah was seen walking across the Jordan on dry ground.... and then a chariot came down and picked him up.... it's no wonder they spent so much time looking.

This whole thing is as if a helicopter came to pick him up! If no one knew what a helicopter was.... like cave man stupid.... and a helicopter swooped in and took a man out.... would the others search high and low? Yep....

This is from the easy English site.

Elijah asked Elisha what he wanted Elijah to give to him. Elisha asked for the oldest son’s share of Elijah’s power. (When someone died, his oldest son would receive the largest share of his property.) Elisha knew that he needed that power in order to continue Elijah’s work. Elijah said that it was a difficult request to grant. Only God could do that. However, Elisha could receive what he had asked for. He would receive it if he saw Elijah go up to heaven. By that means, God would show Elisha that he had received that power.

As they continued to talk, horses and a chariot appeared. Chariots were powerful vehicles for war, and horses pulled them. But these were not normal horses, and this was not a normal chariot. They seemed to burn like fire. People who have seen an impression of God’s greatness often describe it as fire. So this extraordinary event had a clear meaning for Elisha. God was taking Elijah away. But God’s great army of angels would continue to fight against evil forces. That would be the power that Elisha needed in order to continue Elijah’s work.

The horses and chariots of fire separated those two men. Elijah had once prayed for death (1 Kings 19:4). Now he went straight to heaven. He did not die. That only happened to one other man in the Old Testament (the first part of the Bible). His name was Enoch – Genesis 5:24.

The men from the group of prophets gave honour to Elisha. That is why they bent their bodies down in front of Elisha. They gave honour to him as they had given to Elijah. However, they had not crossed the river. They had not seen God take Elijah up to heaven. So they asked Elisha to let them search for Elijah. At first he refused, but they continued to ask him. So they did not yet respect him completely. They thought that their own ideas were better than Elisha’s. In the end, he allowed them to go. But, of course, they did not find Elijah.

These men from the group of prophets were sincere men. But they showed a lack of faith. They knew what God was doing. But they did not really trust God to do that thing. In the end, of course, they found out that Elisha was right. When they did, they were ready to trust him. And they wanted him to use God’s power on their behalf.​

I have given birth three times. I never realized there is a mirror in the room so the mother [like she would be in a right mind enough to use it anyway]can witness the birth of her child. So I never saw any of my babies born.... but I did see my oldest granddaughter come into the world. What a miraculous experience! First there's nothing and then all of a sudden a little tiny human is there....... it is truly miraculous... and if you've seen it for yourself... you will know what I mean when I say... Elijah's exit must have been miraculous to witness.

I titled this "twice across the Jordan" because that's a miraculous feat people will try to explain as nature..... there is no natural way to explain a chariot of fire drawn by horses of fire playing uber.

:coffee: