Dear 97.7 The Rocket owners...

MiddleGround

Please, please, please... for the love of all that is holy and good in this world... do SOMETHING with your station!

For the last 6 months to a year, The Rocket has been absolutely terrible! You have ZERO on-air talent. The music is extremely tiresome. You no longer sponsor local events or have give-aways or sponsor local rock concerts. ALL of your programming is music made prior to 1987 (despite frequently announcing that you cover more recent music) and you seem to have problems keeping talent on the air other than the same old people doing the same old schtick!

Perhaps if you loosened up and offered a bit more 'recent' musical choices (say.. anything between 1987 and 2005 would be nice to start with) then you wouldn't be in the crappy rut that you have been in ever since your last afternoon DJ committed career suicide.

Personally, I am getting sick of the programming and I have heard several people say the same. If Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses is as edgy and new (released in.... 1987) as you will get then I am sad to say that you are FAR behind the times for a Classic Rock station. That is actually Oldies Rock.

Why don't you do what your Virgina sister station (The Rock) does and program some more recent music? It might help.

- a Soon-to-Be FORMER loyal listener.

MiddleGround

That station turned to crap the minute Mojo left.

I must say that when Blakjak was there, at least he breathed a bit of life into the old dusty place. He actually played relatively RECENT music from time to time. You know... stuff released in the new milenium!!!

Unfortunately, the mix of his drunken rants/attitude and the apparent disdain by the owner with his music choices (ya' know... recent kinda stuff) and it was back to Oldies Rock and has been ever since!

Bonehead

BlakJak cut his own throat in my view. If he would have just shut up and played the tunes all would have been well.

MiddleGround

It also had a lot to do with his bad behavior off the air and out in public. :otter:

I heard the stories, rumors, and Facebook stuff. Bottom line was that he played good music and THAT is what I and others miss. Ever since he left, that station has been stuck on neutral in Oldies Rock land!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I heard the stories, rumors, and Facebook stuff. Bottom line was that he played good music and THAT is what I and others miss. Ever since he left, that station has been stuck on neutral in Oldies Rock land!

I saw it in person a few times. I won't quibble over the station content. Honestly, I haven't listened to any local radio, with the exception of EITM, since December. :shrug:

Bonehead

I hate it when every time I tune in it is the same song being pushed and a mediocre song at that. the same 50 tunes over and over again.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I have a couple thousand CD's and a working player in the car.

I could also use the auxiliary input and use the MP3 player I have to play a mix of the 150,000+ music files I have on the hard drive or any of the several hundred cassettes I have (still have a working portable player).

It's just background anyway, only thing I don't really like is Bridgett and Bernie, or whatever the cretins in the morning are named.

mitzi

Even the bands I liked I'm sick of the songs. They play the same 2 songs by each band over and over. The
bands had a ton of good songs, why play the same ones constantly. Instead of turning it up, I find myself turning it completely down. 98 Star isn't an option, they play way too much pop stuff. I may listen to them in the morning to listen to T-Bone and Heather and their callers but not for the music. We've complained about this for several years. I remember when they started with "newer" songs (as in 90s songs) I heard people complained so they went back to the regular stuff. Honestly, I find that hard to believe that listeners complained. I only listen in the car and don't drive far enough for Sirius to pay off.

MiddleGround

:bawl: 1987 is considered "oldies rock"

31 years ago so...... YEP!

Think of it this way in comparison. When Van Halen was at the height of their popularity, it would be like tuning the radio to a "Classic Rock" station and hearing nothing but Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis!

NextJen

Raisin cane
If I turn on 'regular' radio (as opposed to satellite), then I usually turn to 102.7. They play a pretty good mix.