Serious Concerns Arise After House Passes Bill Defining The Term ‘Crime Of Violence’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Only four Republicans voted against the bill, which was sponsored by Rep. Karen Handel (R-GA). One of the representatives who voted against it was Thomas Massie (R-KY).

The Daily Wire spoke with Massie, who is concerned that the firearms provision could be used as the "basis for other laws."

DW: What are your concerns regarding this bill?

MASSIE: Right now, the definition would be used to determine the threshold to initiate deportation proceedings for somebody who’s here illegally or even possibly legally. One of my concerns is that once you establish a definition in the federal register, that definition now becomes the basis for other laws. For instance, I can imagine in my lifetime a law being introduced that says one cannot buy a firearm if they’ve perpetrated a "crime of violence." And "crime of violence" will be defined very conveniently here in the context of deportation hearings, but it will be used elsewhere. It’s important to look at the definition for that reason because it will get recycled into other laws.

[Massie noted that drug trafficking while in possession of a firearm seems to be defined in the bill as a "crime of violence."]

I reject the notion that something that is legitimately a crime becomes a worse crime merely because you possessed a firearm at the time. So, I have a real problem with the firearms possession enhancement part of the bill. If you’re a conservative and you don’t want more gun control, then this bill should concern you because it reinforces and extends the notion that the crime is enhanced by the presence of a firearm.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/36085/serious-concerns-arise-after-house-passes-bill-frank-camp