Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ah, the creeping up of Atlantic Broadband fees begins...

My bill went down...

by a penny. True story!

And that didn't last long...

Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    My bill went down...

by a penny. True story!
    Got my latest bill today and it went up $7.98 a month. The breakdown:

• Local TV Surcharge increased from $10.50 to $11.00 for a net increase of $.50 a month
    • New fee: High Speed Network Recovery Fee for $3.25 a month
    • New fee: Sports Surcharge for $4.00 a month

If I hadn't locked in for a year for their BasicPlus Turbo for $99.99 a month when I started my service in March, it would be $178.80.

Look at OTA. I get 45 channels on my worst day to 73 on my better days. Many are HD. (It ain't your grandfather's analog OTA any more.) I get all the local news from Washington, Baltimore & Salsbury (2,4,5,7,9,11,13,16,20,45...). I get all the Redskins, Ravens games (except when exclusively offered by ESPN and NFL networks). It's free after a 1 time cost for 'fringe' antenna, rotor, booster, powered splitter and coax (about $350)... as many TVs as you want playing different channels. No internet needed. The downside is it's ugly (ghetto appearance - I keep mine in the back yard), and it's susceptible to air traffic.

I have 4 old Rokus, 3 smart TVs and stream Netflix and Amazon Prime along with all those 'free' streamer channels available on the Fire, Roku or virtually any wifi streamer hardware. I use home internal cable rather than wifi whenever possible.

Be aware. Sling, Netflix, Fire, Roku and all streaming channels all still require a decent high speed internet connection and that's what ABB provides. They got a lock. You FIOS people are lucky (but the price is still high). Otherwise, U outa luck.

My ABB bill went up as well. I was able to mitigate the increase by swapping out my rented modem ($8/month) for a refurbished unit I purchased 2 weeks ago. Swapping was easy once I was able to get a ABB tech on the line (which was difficult). My monthly costs are now $64 for ABB, $8 Netfiix (single stream, SD only) and $10 for Amazon Prime. OTA is now free of course.

5. 10-30-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hitchicken View Post
    Look at OTA. I get 45 channels on my worst day to 73 on my better days. Many are HD.
    But - where are you? I haven't been able to find a single spot in St Mary's County below say, Mechanicsville where an antenna does me any good.
    Is there some trick to using an antenna? Like - a 100 foot high one? I have a friend who DOES have one like that - albeit an old one - and he still
    just pulls in a few channels.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    But - where are you? I haven't been able to find a single spot in St Mary's County below say, Mechanicsville where an antenna does me any good.
    Is there some trick to using an antenna? Like - a 100 foot high one? I have a friend who DOES have one like that - albeit an old one - and he still
    just pulls in a few channels.
    Town Creek. Antenna mast is about 30' high, just a few feet above my roof line. There are a few tall trees in the way. The trick (if there is one) is the 'fringe' antenna. It's over 12' long. Yeah... When I rotate it, the earth moves.
    In combo with pre-amp, rotor, it's quite effective. My model isn't made any longer, but here is an easy equivalent.

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HD8200XL

Keep in mind, it's a crapshoot. Save all the boxes. You might need to send everything back if it doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by hitchicken; 10-31-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 89