Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ah, the creeping up of Atlantic Broadband fees begins...

Thumbs down Ah, the creeping up of Atlantic Broadband fees begins...

Well that didn't take long.

From the internet billing statement I just received from Atlantic Broadband:

"We have continued to incur significant costs for ongoing improvements to our internet infrastructure. As a result, beginning with your October statement, we will be introducing the following new fees:

$3.25/month High Speed Network Recovery Fee for internet customers"

Wonder if those who have both TV and internet will get stuck with this fee as well, or if it's just for those of us who have internet service only...

Recovery fee? Just call it what it is--High Speed Network Increased Dividends to Our Shareholders Fee...

If it was such a lucrative business....it wouldn't have been sold/transferred five times since I first got cable. I sure wish we had another option...because the dead technology that is cable is "too damned high".
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Metrocast use to do the exact same thing, when I had cable my bill would go up by 10-15 cents a month it seemed.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    If it was such a lucrative business....it wouldn't have been sold/transferred five times since I first got cable. I sure wish we had another option...because the dead technology that is cable is "too damned high".
    It would still be faster than our current T1 service.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    It would still be faster than our current T1 service.
    But even less reliable...there's the rub..
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by imaref View Post

"We have continued to incur significant costs for ongoing improvements to our internet infrastructure. As a result, beginning with your October statement, we will be introducing the following new fees:

Wonder if those who have both TV and internet will get stuck with this fee as well, or if it's just for those of us who have internet service only...

Recovery fee? Just call it what it is--High Speed Network Increased Dividends to Our Shareholders Fee...
    High Speed Network Recovery Fee? Several times a day for over a month now, mine gets sluggish. I've run some tests and it's not my PC, it's the service. Let's "recover" some speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    What was it before Metrocast? I can't remember.

I think it was GMP Cable. Not positive, though...

Quote Originally Posted by imaref View Post

I noticed that too and this time I finally got angry enough to call and ask how much I was paying for cable. $106.oo for expanded basic and at least 70% of that is crap I never bother to watch. So I jotted down what I really watch and what I could live without and went with Sling. I found out later there were actually better offers out there with more options than Sling as well. At any rate, I no longer get the majority of local channels (which I seldom watch anyway), nor MSNBC and Fox. I do get CNN, which I don't watch religiously, which means I no longer get much political news. Win win, after two days I realized that I don't miss it.

What I did get, is a $29.00 month bill that gives me my most watched channels AND I packed up all those stupid boxes and got rid of all the cable wires including 300 feet of cable that I was forced to use with a splitter in order to make cable/internet work in my son's room. Metrocast was never able to fix that little problem despite my constant bitching.

So far I've been really happy with my choice and was able to binge watch Mayans MC and The Purge to my hearts content. AND just yesterday I found out it has a pause feature!!! Who knew? What a great idea! (I'm not so much technically savvy)

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    I noticed that too and this time I finally got angry enough.......
    I SO wish I could get my family on board with this, because with the outrageous bill from ABB - *AND* the handful of growing streaming costs they all want in addition - I can barely handle it all.

At the bottom of it all - I absolutely have to have their Internet package. I work from home, and I need the speed, and no one else offers it where I live.

I don't know of an alternative arrangement I can create that will -

1. Abandon ABB for TV
    2. Keep a working house phone
    3. Be able to record live TV and
    4. Keep up to a whole season's worth of ANY show
    5. Be able to watch any one of those in any room in the house that has a DVR.

We subscribe to a number of streaming services. While they offer reruns and such - the BEST
    some of them offer is to watch the show a day late, but sometimes a week - if at all. We might
    miss a season of shows - and find that our service keeps only five - if that. Or doesn't carry this
    or that network, when - if you have a DVR, it will record absolutely anything.

Of course, there's also - LIVE TV. Breaking news, morning weather, local news, local events.

When I add it all up - I don't see significant savings.

I'd be much better off not watching TV at all.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Members who have read this thread: 89