Gas smell

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Happens quite a lot. Of course, just as with the noise that is heard every damn day, and throughout the nights, [even with that supposed sound wall], instead of coming from Dominion, that noise the locals are hearing is coming from Pax River Base, (per asswipe Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr.), so, it is possible that there is a natural gas leak coming from the Wildewood Shopping Center in St. Mary's County that we smelling?

officeguy

They had a gas smell call at the Bryans Road Dominion substation earlier today.

I wouldn't think that the gas going to the export terminal smells like anything. The mercaptane that gives it the typical smell is added to natural gas once it goes into the distribution system, its not like it comes from the well smelling like that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I wouldn't think that the gas going to the export terminal smells like anything. The mercaptane that gives it the typical smell is added to natural gas once it goes into the distribution system, its not like it comes from the well smelling like that.
that was my first reaction too....NG has no smell.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

They had a gas smell call at the Bryans Road Dominion substation earlier today. I wouldn't think that the gas going to the export terminal smells like anything. The mercaptane that gives it the typical smell is added to natural gas once it goes into the distribution system, its not like it comes from the well smelling like that.

The gas is taken off the pipeline at Dominion to be processed into LNG. The mercaptane is still present, and needed, within the NG because of the miles of pipeline to get to the facility in case there is a leak. Which is, in part, part of the distribution system. So if we are smelling it, there is NG present in the air.

From the Recorder,
"Commissioners’ President Evan Slaughenhoupt (R) questioned why the retaining wall was needed at the LNG plant. “We were there for the ribbon cutting with [Department of Energy] Secretary [Rick] Perry. We were inside the wall. You were fully operational that day to the point that you were also at the same time loading a ship that was out on the dock and it was as quiet as a mouse inside the wall,” Slaughenhoupt said. He acknowledged the county has received complaints about sound from the plant, but said he believes the noise generated is coming from Naval Air Station Patuxent River."

That wall, if anything, was built to block the view through the trees to the hideousness of massive industrial infrastructure so close to residential housing and Cove Point Park ball fields. Nothing more.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That wall, if anything, was built to block the view through the trees to the hideousness of massive industrial infrastructure so close to residential housing and Cove Point Park ball fields. Nothing more.

What do you think is making the noise you referred to in the earlier post?

All distribution lines are required to be odorized but not all transmission lines.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What do you think is making the noise you referred to in the earlier post? All distribution lines are required to be odorized but not all transmission lines.

The cryogenic equipment and heat exchangers. The fact they are using two 65-megawatt steam turbine generators, to supply 130 megawatts to operate the facility. Waste heat from two combustion turbines, are used to drive compressors to produce LNG and will be recycled to produce steam to drive the steam turbines. There is also FR7 Gas Turbine plus three centrifugal compressors (3MCL1405, MCL1405, 2BCL806) and a 20-megawatt (MW) 2 pole induction electric helper motor. GE's gas turbines provide 86-megawatt ISO shaft power. There are so many generators, steam, combustion, in use along with so much more operational equipment. However, the main noise emission sources in Dominion's LNG facility include pumps, compressors, generators and their drivers, compressor suction/discharge, recycle piping, air dryers, heaters, air coolers, vaporizers used during regasification, and general loading/unloading operations of LNG carriers/vessels. Taken all together, Dominion's plant produces so much noise that it permeates the entire area. Even sitting in a quite house, with windows and doors closed, the noise can still be heard.

The transmission line you refer to, that goes to Dominion Cove Point, is connected to the entire NG pipeline network. Maybe at the beginning of the "supply" line, no mercaptane is required, downstream of that it is. Upstream operators are not typically required to odorize. But the line to Dominion is far and away downstream. Also, as you stated, odorization is always required in distribution lines, but, is also often required in transmission lines depending on location. And since that line goes through, and near, residential areas, it is required.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

The cryogenic equipment and heat exchangers. The fact they are using two 65-megawatt steam turbine generators, to supply 130 megawatts to operate the facility. Waste heat from two combustion turbines, are used to drive compressors to produce LNG and will be recycled to produce steam to drive the steam turbines. There is also FR7 Gas Turbine plus three centrifugal compressors (3MCL1405, MCL1405, 2BCL806) and a 20-megawatt (MW) 2 pole induction electric helper motor. GE's gas turbines provide 86-megawatt ISO shaft power. There are so many generators, steam, combustion, in use along with so much more operational equipment. However, the main noise emission sources in Dominion's LNG facility include pumps, compressors, generators and their drivers, compressor suction/discharge, recycle piping, air dryers, heaters, air coolers, vaporizers used during regasification, and general loading/unloading operations of LNG carriers/vessels. Taken all together, Dominion's plant produces so much noise that it permeates the entire area. Even sitting in a quite house, with windows and doors closed, the noise can still be heard.

The transmission line you refer to, that goes to Dominion Cove Point, is connected to the entire NG pipeline network. Maybe at the beginning of the "supply" line, no mercaptane is required, downstream of that it is. Upstream operators are not typically required to odorize. But the line to Dominion is far and away downstream. Also, as you stated, odorization is always required in distribution lines, but, is also often required in transmission lines depending on location. And since that line goes through, and near, residential areas, it is required.

Me..I'm just happy to see export facilities like that one up and running. The more the better!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

So says the fella not living next to one.

Been living next to the Piney Point terminal for 30 years. ;-) Couple really big explosions along the way....LOL.

Say,,when was that Cove Point terminal first built anyway? I was here at the time..were you?

The overhead test track for St. Inigoes goes literally right over the top of our place. Noisy?? very!. But awesome to see the latest and greatest hardware up close and personal too..

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Been living next to the Piney Point terminal for 30 years. ;-) Couple really big explosions along the way....LOL.

Say,,when was that Cove Point terminal first built anyway? I was here at the time..were you?

The overhead test track for St. Inigoes goes literally right over the top of our place. Noisy?? very!. But awesome to see the latest and greatest hardware up close and personal too..

Yup, was here. Here when the nuke plant started as well. Was first developed as an LNG import terminal in 1978. Then years later mothballed when NG prices plummeted.
But I think the noises you hear are pretty much intermittent? Exciting? Watchable? No? Dominions is a constant 24/7. Something akin to the noise made by those damnable gas leaf blowers. And inescapable as well. Unless one leaves to the store or something.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Yup, was here. Here when the nuke plant started as well. Was first developed as an LNG import terminal in 1978. Then years later mothballed when NG prices plummeted.
But I think the noises you hear are pretty much intermittent? Exciting? Watchable? No? Dominions is a constant 24/7. Something akin to the noise made by those damnable gas leaf blowers. And inescapable as well. Unless one leaves to the store or something.

I know all that history..I even remember a school field trip to Calvert Cliffs back when you could collect all the fossils you wanted to..and we gazed upon the beginning construction of the nuke plant. My company looked at buying the support facilities for the LNG terminal back around the early 90s..son worked on the upgrades to the Cove Point docks back more than 10 years ago...and so on

When Piney Point terminal was really rocking, the sound of very large diesel engines reverberated around the hood day and night. I call that the "sound of commerce" and have no issues with it. We need..and are soon getting...more LNG and other petroleum export facilities. I'm hoping they can do something like that with the Piney Point terminal.

Bonehead

I made two or three trips to that facility from Arzew Algeria to Cove Point, to off load liquid. Those ships were a nightmare to maintain. El Paso Southern was the ships name, fantastic quarters for an engine room puke. Cheap Danish beer (orangeboom) 8$ a case and a reefer in my room.

calvcopf

I made two or three trips to that facility from Arzew Algeria to Cove Point, to off load liquid. Those ships were a nightmare to maintain. El Paso Southern was the ships name, fantastic quarters for an engine room puke. Cheap Danish beer (orangeboom) 8$ a case and a reefer in my room.

Looks like an old ship, I'm sure the maintenance was never ending. Had no idea commercial ships let you drink underway. Seems like a decent gig!