Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split a cow?

My fathers family cut up a pig in the back your many moons ago, all I remember is eating cracklin that came out of a big old grease pot.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    You sure?..I thought there was still a full box in the bottom of the freezer...below the hams.

You ain't gotta ask me twice to help make the scrapple disappear!! ;-)

Chuckles: Our offices are 15-20 feet apart and we have intercom feature on our office pones..or we can just shout...and instead we're "communicating" via a forum. LMAO..what a world...
    I always pictured ItsBob and Badgirl sitting on opposite ends of the couch talking to each other on here.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by FED_UP View Post
    all I remember is eating cracklin that came out of a big old grease pot.
    That stuff was like crack to us kids when we were growing up.....processing our own hogs was always a lot of work but there were benefits: Cracklings to munch on...freshly ground sausage to "taste test"...
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    I always pictured ItsBob and Badgirl sitting on opposite ends of the couch talking to each other on here.
    LOL!..it's almost that bad.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dgates80 View Post
    Pondering buying some meat at auction from one of the fairs. Probably a cow but maybe a hog. It’s a lot of meat though! Perhaps a deal could be made to split a cow or pig? We live in Calvert so I’m thinking g the Calvert fair.

I’m fairly clueless on how it all works and the economics of it. Does it really end up cheaper than retail buying at auction? I would be ok with paying some premium to contribute to the 4-H aspect of it but not if it’s crazy town amount.

What’s reasonable to expect for processing costs?
    This is about as close to farm to table as it gets.

The upfront costs are what scares most people off. A steer will cost 2000 plus at a 4h auction

With a 1000 lb steer (kinda small actually, but ok for example).
    Chuck’s charges 100 for slaughtering, 0.65 for freezer wrap (0.75 for vacuum pack, my preference). You lose, on average 65% of weight with the inedible parts, now down to ~ 650 hanging weight (x per lb. butcher fee). Large bone and fat cuts another ~ 65%, down to ~ 425 packaged weight.

On another note, Would have been nice if the bitchy neighbors would have cooperated with Rick’s
    Last edited by nutz; 09-24-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

I thought this was a dating thread.
    ďLose with the effort of a championĒ - Rich Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    The upfront costs are what scares most people off. A steer will cost 2000 plus at a 4h auction
    We've got to stroke a check for over $3000 every year when our processed Angus is delivered. It's sooooo much better meat than what you find in most stores, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    I thought this was a dating thread.
    Gillian and the hired hand?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Members who have read this thread: 70