Greetings from Wheeling, WV!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wish we were going to be here longer - just one night on the way to Lincoln. I've been through many times but never spent any time here, and now I think we need to come back.

The windshield tour shows a super cute mountain town, very blue collar and rustic picturesque. If you played Legend of Zelda, think Darunia. We went downtown thinking to walk around, have a drink, and get some food, but they roll up the town on Sunday. There was nothing - no thing - open. We parked and were considering our options when we spotted a fireman getting a smoke outside the firehouse. So we asked him where we should have dinner and he sent us to Ye Olde Alpha.

It's an old school tavern on one side, restaurant on the other. It's on a street with homes, a pizza joint, and a few other things - very much a working class neighborhood. I'm sorry to say that I didn't have one of their great looking salads. Instead I had...I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this...a Blue Suede burger. What that is is a burger with Swiss cheese, grilled onions, bacon, and....peanut butter.

The fireman recommended it highly. I thought about passing it by because not only did it sound gross, but they also had pork shanks and Greek shrimp that were calling my name. Then I thought, I'm probably never going to see a burger like that again in my life, so what the heck.

It was delicious, I kid you not.

Salty, sweet, beefy, smoky, and who knew that peanut butter makes an excellent burger condiment. A heart attack on a bun. I only ate about a third of it because it's really rich, plus I had onion rings and we got the pork shanks anyway. Monello had a grilled pastrami sandwich and Greek rice that he was underwhelmed with but I thought was quite tasty. We have a buffet left over for tomorrow breakfast. And yes, I intend to eat the rest of that burger for breakfast.

We eat like that a lot - get a whole bunch of things, then just eat a little bit of each of them and save the rest for breakfast.

Wheeling is a bit depressed economically. What they need to do is kick their tourism people in the butt and promote it hard as a destination. They have a terrific website, but you never really think of Wheeling as a vacation spot. There's a great waterfront pavilion and they have bands and all kinds of stuff there. They have movie nights, you can bike and picnic, whitewater rafting is nearby...Wheeling would be a wonderful getaway with lots of stuff to do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wheeling.jpg

They roll up the town on Sunday evening, but you can see the cute shops and what have you. In the center is Center Market, which is similar to Broadway Market in Fells Point.

Bobwhite

View attachment 124953

They roll up the town on Sunday evening, but you can see the cute shops and what have you. In the center is Center Market, which is similar to Broadway Market in Fells Point.

There is place nearby Wheeling called Oglebay something something. Me and some of my friends are thinking of going there during the holidays. Someone said they have a really nice light show and we thought we would stop by Wheeling while we were there. Thanks for the tip about them being closed up on Sunday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is place nearby Wheeling called Oglebay something something. Me and some of my friends are thinking of going there during the holidays. Someone said they have a really nice light show and we thought we would stop by Wheeling while we were there. Thanks for the tip about them being closed up on Sunday.

https://oglebay.com/events/festival-of-lights/

I'll bet that's gorgeous. If you go you need to come back and tell us all about it!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I got my pepperoni roll on the way out of town. That makes the entire trip worth the time and effort to get there.

Funny how they are very regional but would do well outside that area as well. Meaning I'd buy them wherever they were sold.