Why?

PsyOps

Pixelated
As this drama over Kavanaugh's alleged sexual indiscretions goes on, I'm asking myself why these women haven't gone to the local LE to file their complains and let the legal system do it's job. I'm asking why the senate is entertaining any of this in hearings. Why isn't the senate telling these women to file their complains with law enforcement? That's not their job, to handle local criminal matters. They have a nominee for the Supreme Court in front of them. It's their job to confirm or not confirm that person, then move on to legislating.

Watching these spineless twits contort themselves into figuring out how to handle things gives me more confirmation that I don't belong in the GOP and glad I left it. I said it back when the GOP took control of congress in '96 "don't screw it up", and they did. And here we are again. Say what you want about democrats; we know they play dirty and will lie, cheat, steal, and even kill to get their way. We put a GOP congress in power to swing the power in the Supreme Court; and republicans fall into these traps democrats spring every time.

I'm at the point where I don't give a damn if they hold control or not.

awpitt

Main Streeter
As this drama over Kavanaugh's alleged sexual indiscretions goes on, I'm asking myself why these women haven't gone to the local LE to file their complains and let the legal system do it's job. I'm asking why the senate is entertaining any of this in hearings. Why isn't the senate telling these women to file their complains with law enforcement? That's not their job, to handle local criminal matters. They have a nominee for the Supreme Court in front of them. It's their job to confirm or not confirm that person, then move on to legislating.

Watching these spineless twits contort themselves into figuring out how to handle things gives me more confirmation that I don't belong in the GOP and glad I left it. I said it back when the GOP took control of congress in '96 "don't screw it up", and they did. And here we are again. Say what you want about democrats; we know they play dirty and will lie, cheat, steal, and even kill to get their way. We put a GOP congress in power to swing the power in the Supreme Court; and republicans fall into these traps democrats spring every time.

I guess, at this point, the criminal charges aspect ship has already sailed. IE. statute of limitations. The issue that's at hand before the Senate now is the question of Kavanaugh's character, not a criminal complaint.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I guess, at this point, the criminal charges aspect ship has already sailed. IE. statute of limitations. The issue that's at hand before the Senate now is the question of Kavanaugh's character, not a criminal complaint.

In Ford's case, it happened in MD. As I understand it, sexual abuse (or whatever the charge is) has not statute of limitations.\

If Kavanaugh's career - going all the way back to 1990 - isn't enough to vouch for his character, along with the over 100 women that have come forward to vouch for his character, then what is? Is this how things are supposed to work; call into question a man's entire character based on what he did as a kid, decades ago? I did a bunch of stupid things when I was a kid and young adult. But, I have had a wonderful and - not to boast about myself - honorable career. You mean to tell me I can't hold a high office because of a few stupid things I did back when my brain wasn't fully developed? Is that the world we live in?

This tells me that this country has more problems, and is far more idiotic, than anything Kavanaugh might have done.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm asking why the senate is entertaining any of this in hearings.

So am I. More bogus, vague and unsubstantiated claims never where....yet they are giving them credence simply by responding to them instead of completely ignoring them and moving on. Sad times...weak people.

awpitt

Main Streeter
In Ford's case, it happened in MD. As I understand it, sexual abuse (or whatever the charge is) has not statute of limitations.\

In MD, it depends on the level of the charge. Felony sexual offenses have no statute of limitations. Misdemeanor sexual offenses have a one year statute of limitations.

PsyOps

Pixelated
In MD, it depends on the level of the charge. Felony sexual offenses have no statute of limitations. Misdemeanor sexual offenses have a one year statute of limitations.

In any event, I don't know why the senate is giving any attention to decades-old accusations - especially when there is no evidence, no witnesses, all the people Ford said were there denied they know anything about it, and over 100 women vouching for Kavanaugh's character. It's not their job to adjudicate these sorts of things.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

In this situation, he could not be charged with either so the point is moot. No evidence, no time, no place, and no witness(es).

h3mech

they need to vote I'm not a lawyer but I can see this as a delay tactic. if he is guilty then impeach after he gets on the supreme court

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

What is the statute of limitations for "imaginary sexual offenses?"

awpitt

Main Streeter
In any event, I don't know why the senate is giving any attention to decades-old accusations - especially when there is no evidence, no witnesses, all the people Ford said were there denied they know anything about it, and over 100 women vouching for Kavanaugh's character. It's not their job to adjudicate these sorts of things.

Actually, it is their job. Whether we like it or not. Whether the accusers have any credibility or not, it is their job.

Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution states that the President “shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise ...

Now, if they want, they could ignore the accusers and just move forward with a vote and send it to the full senate. So far, they have chosen not to move forward. If it were me, I would've told Ford (a week ago) that she will be heard at 10am Monday (today). If she failed to show up, I would schedule a vote for Tuesday (tomorrow) and be done with it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If it were me, I would've told Ford (a week ago) that she will be heard at 10am Monday (today). If she failed to show up, I would schedule a vote for Tuesday (tomorrow) and be done with it.

That is exactly what they should have done. Bunch of pansies..

PsyOps

Pixelated
Actually, it is their job. Whether we like it or not. Whether the accusers have any credibility or not, it is their job.

Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution states that the President “shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise ...

Now, if they want, they could ignore the accusers and just move forward with a vote and send it to the full senate. So far, they have chosen not to move forward. If it were me, I would've told Ford (a week ago) that she will be heard at 10am Monday (today). If she failed to show up, I would schedule a vote for Tuesday (tomorrow) and be done with it.

That doesn't dispute my point at all. What you post supports my point; that the president nominates someone, and the senate confirms them. It says nowhere in there that the senate is to take up criminal cases. If there was criminality committed by Kavanaugh, it would have shown up in one, or more, of his 6 FBI background checks. It's not up to the senate to determine whether someone is a criminal based on current accusations that have not been adjudicated through the courts.

awpitt

Main Streeter
That doesn't dispute my point at all. What you post supports my point; that the president nominates someone, and the senate confirms them. It says nowhere in there that the senate is to take up criminal cases. If there was criminality committed by Kavanaugh, it would have shown up in one, or more, of his 6 FBI background checks. It's not up to the senate to determine whether someone is a criminal based on current accusations that have not been adjudicated through the courts.

The Constitution says nothing about what the Senate should or shouldn't consider when giving advice and consent. You're right when you say, "it says nowhere in there that the senate is to take up criminal cases"; however, it also saysnowhere in there that the senate shouldn't take up criminal cases. In this case, the senate is not taking up a criminal case. The senate is taking up a matter regarding a person's character based on alleged past behavior.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Constitution says nothing about what the Senate should or shouldn't consider when giving advice and consent. You're right when you say, "it says nowhere in there that the senate is to take up criminal cases"; however, it also saysnowhere in there that the senate shouldn't take up criminal cases. In this case, the senate is not taking up a criminal case. The senate is taking up a matter regarding a person's character based on alleged past behavior.

I can agree with that.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The senate is taking up a matter regarding a person's character based on alleged past behavior.

You really think that's what they're doing; after passing 6 background checks, that dig into Kavanaugh's behavior and character, that's not enough. If there was anything Kavanaugh did that was illegal it certainly would have shown up in those 6 investigations. What the senate is doing is saying, what the FBI means nothing.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You really think that's what they're doing; after passing 6 background checks, that dig into Kavanaugh's behavior and character, that's not enough. If there was anything Kavanaugh did that was illegal it certainly would have shown up in those 6 investigations. What the senate is doing is saying, what the FBI means nothing.

What the Dems want is another Mueller investigation to probe the good judge, his family, his friends, his classmates, his law clerks, the maid, the gardener, the pool company, the dog groomer, the guy who delivers his newspaper and his family physician until they get something.

Hijinx

What the Dems want is another Mueller investigation to probe the good judge, his family, his friends, his classmates, his law clerks, the maid, the gardener, the pool company, the dog groomer, the guy who delivers his newspaper and his family physician until they get something.

What they want is to postpone this until after the election.
If they can do that there is a slim chance they could take the senate, and Kavanaugh is dead in the water.
Right now there are some Democrats who could be forced to vote for Kavanaugh to win their election to the House.
If they can postpone it until after the election, they can vote against Kavanaugh without fear.

Without a few democrat votes the vote is iffy because Republicans have Collins, Mikulski and Flake to deal with and who knows how they will vote.?

This_person

:yay: