Revelation 1 Don't be afraid

seekeroftruth

Revelation 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.​

"Don't worry, John, it's only me"

This is from the easy English site.

Verse 17 John saw Jesus among the lamp holders. The sight was so powerful that it made John afraid. The effect of what he saw caused him to fall down at the feet of Jesus. John was on the ground as if he were a dead man.

Jesus put his right hand on John. This seems to have put new life into John. Then Jesus said, ‘Do not be afraid.’ For those who belong to Jesus, there is nothing to make them afraid.

Jesus tells John that he is the first and the last. This has the same meaning as in verse 8 above. Jesus is one with God. He is God.

Verse 18 Jesus adds to the meaning of the first and the last. ‘I am living.’ God is the God who lives. Jesus shows that he is the same as God. He is God. The false gods of the world are not alive. There is only the one real God who lives.

Jesus has always been alive but he died. But death could not hold him. He defeated death and he rose from death to live again. He is now alive and he can never die again.

Jesus has the keys of the place of dead people. This means that he has power over that place. Life and death are both under the control of Jesus. He is able to take his people through death to new life. This again shows that Jesus is God.

So John freaked out when he saw Jesus. It seems that he fainted. I want to go back to the fact Jesus was with God when God created man. He was there when the brain was created. Jesus knows how to get into the brain and the heart without bodily damage. Think about it... God made opposing armies think things that weren't true.... like the water pools looking like pools of blood in 2 Kings. Reportedly, we only use about 10% of the brain. Jesus would have known how to let John access the other 90%.... surely that would cause an overload for any human.... at first.... but Jesus said "don't worry".... John is in good hands.

Was John's fainting part of the process of the visions being made accessible? Is Jesus telling John, "Don't worry.... you'll be ok... I control death now and you're not going there... see... here's the key and it's locked tight...now relax.... everything is going to be ok."?

This is from gotquestions.org.

Think of the concept of giving someone “the key to the city.” This key is sometimes a large, cartoonish key that fits no lock but is symbolic of an honor bestowed. Someone given “a key to the city” is considered welcome and honored within that city. The Bible frequently speaks of keys as representing control or authority over something or someone. This concept makes sense; to possess a master key to a building is to have the authority to open any of its doors and enter any room.
:coffee: