Garage Doors

NBF

I backed into my garage door several months ago after accidentally pushing the wrong garage door button. Yes, it does happen to best or worst of us humans out here.

Looking for the 'community's' advice on what company they went with and what type of doors. If you could add costs it would help me and others in seeking out a good deal.

I just called a local garage door deal in Mechanicsville but no one is answering. It is 8:30 AM and no answer. Guess they're either really busy or not in yet. Maybe I expect too much. Business people - answer your phone during business hours. It is very annoying, but also a tell-tale sign that turns me off to your business.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe because it is the start of Fall that this type of business is overran with orders and they just cannot keep up and have to ignore us small people while hoping that we'll still need their services when they leisurely make their way to contacting us weeks or months later.

NOTE TO SELF...STOP YOUR RANTING!

NBF

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I backed into my garage door several months ago after accidentally pushing the wrong garage door button. Yes, it does happen to best or worst of us humans out here.

Looking for the 'community's' advice on what company they went with and what type of doors. If you could add costs it would help me and others in seeking out a good deal.

I just called a local garage door deal in Mechanicsville but no one is answering. It is 8:30 AM and no answer. Guess they're either really busy or not in yet. Maybe I expect too much. Business people - answer your phone during business hours. It is very annoying, but also a tell-tale sign that turns me off to your business.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe because it is the start of Fall that this type of business is overran with orders and they just cannot keep up and have to ignore us small people while hoping that we'll still need their services when they leisurely make their way to contacting us weeks or months later.

NOTE TO SELF...STOP YOUR RANTING!

NBF

Do a search, I think I may have started a thread some time ago about this subject..

limblips

I recently did the same thing. I am so opposed to paying someone to do what I have the tools to do and the mechanical/electrical ability to do myself that I ordered a door from a big box home store. Googled it and installation didn't seem like black magic. When I got it home and opened it (7X8 door) it didn't look too hard, 4 panels and some track. When I got the panels and tracks out I found a box in the bottom. I am convinced they put it in the bottom so you don't see it until it is too late. I opened the Pandora's Box of Garage Doors to find approximately enough parts to challenge the national debt. Brackets, nut, bolts, springs and cables galore. My 15 yo grandson showed up to help. When he saw the pile of components, his comments increased my sailor vocabulary by a few words. Tearing out the old splintered door was no problem. Installing the new door, not so easy.

My experience is to read, read, and read again the instructions while looking at and touching every single one of the parts. Once you look at them the plan starts to fall in place. We managed to get everything installed correctly and then the fun began. There are adjustment slots at every single place a bolt goes. Each adjustment appears to affect every other adjustment, the earth's rotation and expansion of the universe. Again, read, read, and read again. Once properly adjusted the door will work and look great and the cosmos will be properly realigned.

All that said, 3 weeks later my widowed SIL did the same thing. Since the family knew I had recently installed a garage door they called me to "save aunty some money". To be honest, it went great. Having done it before, it was so much easier the second time around. Even my grandson kept his comments to himself.

My advice: If you are a masochist or have a friend or family member that has done it then DIY otherwise go with your gut and hire someone. There is some personal satisfaction about sitting in front of and looking at your new garage door that you installed while smoking a good cigar and enjoying some 16 year old scotch. Good luck whichever way you go!

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It may be possible, if it is a newer (less than 20 years old) door, to buy a new set of panels of the same construction and reuse the existing hardware if that is sound. I worked as a service advisor for a Door and Window company 30 years ago in the midwest, did replacement panels fairly often.

hitchicken

Sorry, I don't know any garage door installers/repair persons.

I'd like to offer some advice based on some old posts on this forum.

Don't get a door with windows in one panel. It provides burglars with the important clue you are not home. It also allows them to use a coat hanger or hook to release the manual release on the door to gain access to your garage/house.

If you simply must have windows in your garage for light, lets say, buy some interior stick-on 'frosted glass' plastic panels cut to size. I have them and I can't tell if there is a car in there or not. You can always peel them off if you don't like them.

limblips

Sorry, I don't know any garage door installers/repair persons.

I'd like to offer some advice based on some old posts on this forum.

Don't get a door with windows in one panel. It provides burglars with the important clue you are not home. It also allows them to use a coat hanger or hook to release the manual release on the door to gain access to your garage/house.

If you simply must have windows in your garage for light, lets say, buy some interior stick-on 'frosted glass' plastic panels cut to size. I have them and I can't tell if there is a car in there or not. You can always peel them off if you don't like them.

You park your car in the garage? What kind of psycho are you?

littlelady

God bless the USA
I forget who repaired our garage doors in Calvert, and have no info on them. We now live in Montgomery. The sticker above my current door opener reads: Prince William Garage Door 703-366-3164.

FettZilla

I got somebody from G & B Insulation located in La Plata to fix mine. Cost about $400 to get new springs installed.