What I'm interested in tonight

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are so many wonderful towns/cities in this country, and no matter how crappy someplace is people live there instead of in one of the terrific places.

Port Arthur, TX for example. People live there. It is a true ghetto #### hole....and people live there. It would take nothing for them to ease on up the road a bit and live in amazing Bastrop, TX that is right outside of Austin and has a TON of employment opportunities. But no, they stay in their crappy no opportunity crumbling buildings crime place.

I marvel that people live in Alaska, but I also get it - remote and rustic is a draw for some people. Monello loved it there and is dying to get back. As crappy as Memphis is, I completely understand why people would live there - there's a culture that's hard to describe, but it's very distinct and vibrant. Newark, NJ area is #### hole extraordinaire, but it's right across the river from NYC, so there's that attraction. But Port Arthur? Why is that even a thing?

What disgusts me is that you can tell Port Arthur used to be a wonderful small town with a defining blues/country music scene. Same with Paterson, NJ - the history would make you cry when you see what they've turned that once-amazing city into.

But anyway, that's what I'm thinking about: why people live in crappy places when there are so many amazing places they could be instead.