Air Force One headed to National Harbor

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"ex" Air Force One, of course.

They've finally gotten under yesterday from Rhode Island and are passing by lower Long Island, NY now. Will continue to update location; we're hoping the timing is such that we can get out and take pics close up when they pass Piney Point and Tall Timbers..

747.jpg 747 2.jpg

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
"ex" Air Force One, of course.

They've finally gotten under yesterday from Rhode Island and are passing by lower Long Island, NY now. Will continue to update location; we're hoping the timing is such that we can get out and take pics close up when they pass Piney Point and Tall Timbers..

View attachment 125021 View attachment 125022

Sadly, not even an "ex", but a "replica". an "Air Force One-like 747".

https://www.bizjournals.com/washing...-one-like-747-to-park-at-national-harbor.html

But still want to kayak out and watch a 747 cruise by, when is that happening? Articel says it's going to arrive Monday...

calvcopf

Dang $30 per person to take a tour of a replica plane and photos inside are strictly prohibited. No thanks!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sadly, not even an "ex", but a "replica". an "Air Force One-like 747"..

Ahh...had not dug that deeply in to the plane's provenance. Good catch. I sure hope whoever cooked up this whole thing has their sums right...speaking for myself, I won't be plunking down that amount of coin just to see the inside of it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Looks pretty cool but the tour price is a bit pricey. Wondering how actuate this replica is compared to the real things.

Grumpy

Looks like its off the coast of Jersey...no idea how quickly they move in open water.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Go out to Fairborn, OH (near Dayton) and visit the USAF Museum, they have a real Presidential collection.

glhs837

Power with Control
I had a chance to tour the real thing some years back. Think 1980s dentist home.

Not impressed, I take it?

Depends on the generation, I think. The Boeing Museum of Flight, co-located with the Boeing facilities near Renton Washington has the aircraft that brought JFK home from Dallas and you can walk through it. Pretty dated, but still. I've not been in anything newer on that side, last time inside one of the helos woulda been 2006, I think. Not sleek and modern, but really plush and comfy, especially for a helo.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Depends on the generation, I think. The Boeing Museum of Flight, co-located with the Boeing facilities near Renton Washington has the aircraft that brought JFK home from Dallas and you can walk through it. Pretty dated, but still. I've not been in anything newer on that side, last time inside one of the helos woulda been 2006, I think. Not sleek and modern, but really plush and comfy, especially for a helo.

Actually, the aircraft that brought JFK back from Dallas is SAM26000 and is currently located at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. I toured that plane at Andrews AFB in 1997 a week before it made its final flight to Wright-Patterson. The aircraft at the Boeing Museum is SAM970 which was the very first jet used for presidential flight.

glhs837

Power with Control
Actually, the aircraft that brought JFK back from Dallas is SAM26000 and is currently located at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. I toured that plane at Andrews AFB in 1997 a week before it made its final flight to Wright-Patterson. The aircraft at the Boeing Museum is SAM970 which was the very first jet used for presidential flight.

I stand corrected.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
The interiors of the current AF1's jets are dated for sure, remember they are Air Force assets so lot of tans/blues and muted colors inside, heck they finally updated from tube TV's to plasma around 2007/8. The pics posted of the interior of one coming into the harbor is similar to the real thing. The old Presidential 707's are at museums- 6970 is at Boeing in Seattle, 6000 is at the AF museum in Dayton and 7000 is at the Reagan museum in Simi Valley. I used to crew, engine and taxi them. At one time I was the only triple jet (VC-137; VC-25 and C-32) engine run qualified crew chief in the AF. I definitely miss those days. I'm sure I'll be paying $30 to tour it....

awpitt

Main Streeter
The interiors of the current AF1's jets are dated for sure, remember they are Air Force assets so lot of tans/blues and muted colors inside, heck they finally updated from tube TV's to plasma around 2007/8. The pics posted of the interior of one coming into the harbor is similar to the real thing. The old Presidential 707's are at museums- 6970 is at Boeing in Seattle, 6000 is at the AF museum in Dayton and 7000 is at the Reagan museum in Simi Valley. I used to crew, engine and taxi them. At one time I was the only triple jet (VC-137; VC-25 and C-32) engine run qualified crew chief in the AF. I definitely miss those days. I'm sure I'll be paying $30 to tour it....

Wow! That's pretty cool.