Revelation 5 That Scroll

seekeroftruth

Revelation 5:1 Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”​

I pulled the commentary from the easy English site.

Verse 1 On the right hand of God was a scroll. The Lord had written on both sides of the scroll. On it, there were 7 seals. Each of these seals locked a part of the scroll. To read the scroll someone had to break all 7 seals in order.

The contents of the scroll were secret. God’s plans for the end of the world were in it. After each seal, the scroll showed the events that would happen.

History and the end of the world are in God’s plan. All will happen as he has decided. Nobody can know what is in God’s plan. When someone opens the scroll God will show us the future.

Verses 2-3 John saw a strong angel. This angel called out in a loud voice. He asked, ‘Who can open the scroll? Who can break the seals?’

Verse 4 It was very important to know what was in the scroll. A person had to be perfect in order to open the scroll. There was nobody good enough. This made John so sad that he wept.

Verse 5 One of the elders spoke to John. He told John not to weep. There is someone who can open the scroll. He will break the 7 seals. He has won the right to do it. He has overcome sin and death. He is perfect and he is able to break those seals.

This person is Jesus Christ. The elder used two special names to describe Jesus. Jesus is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. And Jesus is the Root of David.

Judah was called a young lion (Genesis 49:9-10). The great king would come from the tribe of Judah. The Jews understood this king to be their Messiah. So, the Messiah is the same person as the Lion who will rule the earth. He is the Christ. He came from the tribe of Judah.

The Root of David shows that Jesus belonged to the family of David. The Old Testament speaks about the king who would come. That king would be from the family of King David. That king would be even greater than David was. The Lord Jesus is that king.

So.... John has been invited to Jesus's place. He's standing in the board room watching. John sees God sitting on the throne. That throne is living... the animals are giving God praise. There are 24 elders there kneeling and offering their crowns to God. Everything is apparently in place and the meeting has begun.... but it's stopped..... something is wrong.

Now we know how the story ends at the last page of Revelation because we can read ahead. John couldn't. John was on earth when Jesus was working. John knew Jesus died on that cross and John knew Jesus was laid in that borrowed grave. BUT... Jesus wasn't there when the women went to finish embalming Him. John had been instrumental in building local churches where people could help each other. John had been working on "feeding" the sheep.

All the work that John had put into the churches, was done on faith. Jesus told Him to do it. So he did it... believing that Jesus would return. Jesus met with disciples after His death on the cross. John knew that was real..... but now he's in this Board Room and Jesus is no where to be seen.

Right now, in another thread, I just read how the line of Judah was almost broken. In 2 Kings 8:19 it says that God would have been happy to get rid of Jehoram because he was so vile. It also says... God couldn't do it because He made a deal with David. Jesus was worth it.

John began to cry. Why did John start to cry? Apparently, to heal John's tears, an elder tells him "“Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

I cannot think of one good parent I know who wouldn't be hurt over the trials their child goes through. Jesus is God's child and He had been put through hell. I cannot think of one good parent who is not hurt over events that cause our children harm. Jesus had to become a perfect human and a perfect sacrifice. Jesus lived through all those stupid human idiotic cravings and He didn't give in to temptation. He was so perfect. God had to be so proud of His son.

The anticipation... had to be thick in the living air. Think about it... the throne was alive.... there was lightning and thunder in the air.... the air itself is probably alive.... and since the air is probably alive, the anticipation of the arrival must have been electric.... maybe that's why John shed a tear... the living anticipation of the Messiah's victorious arrival in the boardroom must have been thick in that living air.

:coffee: