Rock where to get and how much do i need?

PeoplesElbow

Looking for some rock, I think I need a fairly small load, but still way too much to buy it by the bag at Lowes.

Want something a bit smaller than what you would put on a driveway, it's for putting under a deck and as a base for a stepping stone sidewalk.

Now how do you estimate how much you need? Like I said I wont be driving on it.

black dog

Free America
Hance in PF has single axle trucks for delivery.
But anyone will deliver small loads of rock or gravel. Your just gonna pay the same delivery charge as a full 20+ ton load.

You can give the gravel company the measurements and they will tell you tonnage or heres the math.

Sand, Gravel and Dirt
1. LENGTH X WIDTH = SQUARE FT. Example: 10 x 10 = 100 Sq. Ft.
2. SQUARE FT. X DEPTH = CUBIC FT. Example: 100 x .5 (OR 6 INCHES) = 50 Cubic Ft.
3. CUBIC FT. DIVIDED BY 27 = CUBIC YARDS. ...
4. CUBIC YARDS X 1.35 = TONS. Example: 1.852 Cubic Yards x 1.35 = 2.501 Tons. ...

PeoplesElbow

But anyone will deliver small loads of rock or gravel. Your just gonna pay the same delivery charge as a full 20+ ton load.

You can give the gravel company the measurements and they will tell you tonnage or heres the math.

Sand, Gravel and Dirt
2. SQUARE FT. X DEPTH = CUBIC FT. Example: 100 x .5 (OR 6 INCHES) = 50 Cubic Ft.
4. CUBIC YARDS X 1.35 = TONS. Example: 1.852 Cubic Yards x 1.35 = 2.501 Tons. ...

I know the math, the real question is how deep do I want to make it? I really don't have any idea how deep to make it.

black dog

Free America
I know the math, the real question is how deep do I want to make it? I really don't have any idea how deep to make it.

Under a deck that no one walks on I would put down heavy black plastic and put maybe 3" down, if I was going to walk on it I might add and inch or two more.
What are you going to put down? Bank Run gravel? I would edge it so you keep it contained.

PeoplesElbow

Under a deck that no one walks on I would put down heavy black plastic and put maybe 3" down, if I was going to walk on it I might add and inch or two more.
What are you going to put down? Bank Run gravel? I would edge it so you keep it contained.

Whatever is cheap that looks halfway decent.

I'm planning on using steel edging a few feet out from the deck and on the other side of the sidewalk. Right now the sidewalk is rotting pressure treated wood that gets slick as snot on a door knob when it rains and I have busted my ass multiple times on it.

The idea of the rock is to help minimize the leaves, pine needles etc that accumulate under the deck. I had about inches worth of matted leaves and pine needles under it.

Hank

my war

Sand, Gravel and Dirt

Hance is closed for good unless they relocated.

black dog

Free America
For a good selection I would stop and look at RL Earnshaws on rt5 in Mechanicsville.
I bought stone dust and multicolored tumbled stone from them, they had a bunch of pits full of different stone for driveways, walkways and landscaping use. They deliver also.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Y’all collect the ones in y’all’s heads. That should be plenty to do the job. Sorry, I had to post. Y’all were all in one place at the same time. It was too tempting. :kiss:

Do y’all have any PM’s to post? Just wondering. Yes, I jumped the shark. It was worth it. Can’t wait for y’all’s replies. This forum is way too much fun. See you on the playground.

Last edited:

Hannibal

Hance is closed. I can see their empty lot through my woods. My current fear is what's going to go there ...........

Anyhow, to your question: if you're simply doing this for aesthetics and not for active use - 2" of depth (especially if confined on all sides is plenty) is adequate. You're just looking to cover it and it shouldn't get disturbed so the bottom shouldn't peak through. Put a good barrier underneath. I'd suggest some filter/landscape fabric which should provide a reasonable bottom for it and provide some weed barrier.

Regarding stone, I would suggest a slightly larger rock. If you go with a pea gravel or something similar (and you're using this to avoid the leaf pileup), you will blow the rocks away when blowing out the leaves. You want something heavier that will stay in place when blowing things out. This may conflict a bit with a paver base so figure out what you're preference is. Smaller stone = better for stepping stone base / worse for staying in place.

If you truly want both, you can box out for your paver stone and place sand under it (best base) and then fill between the pavers with the slightly larger stone.

Hannibal

Y’all collect the ones in y’all’s heads. That should be plenty to do the job. Sorry, I had to post. Y’all were all in one place at the same time. It was too tempting. :kiss:

Do y’all have any PM’s to post? Just wondering. Yes, I jumped the shark. It was worth it. Can’t wait for y’all’s replies. This forum is way too much fun. See you on the playground.

Shhhhh. Let the vodka warmth wash over you and drift off into a peaceful and intoxicated sleep. You have a big day of sleeping ahead of you and finding random forums to update with very specific details of your family.