Hurricane Michael

Hannibal

Didn't see a post and was surprised given it is looking to affect us in a couple of days.

This thing turned into a beast in no time due to all the warm water in the Gulf. Currently standing at a Cat 4 with sustained winds at 145mph. May actually get a bit stronger before landfall.

Latest path projection shows it passing through the VA coastline well south of MD but still providing us with rain (3+") and gusts into the 50's). By itself, this isn't too bad but I believe tomorrow should give us a good bit of rain due to a cold front (~1.5-2.0"). And at least at my house (PF), the ground still isn't back to bone dry summer conditions following all that rain. Might make for an interesting Friday is nothing else. The commute could be a mess because it seems no one can handle anything but a dry road in these parts.

It wouldn't take much of a shift to the left for things to get REAL interesting around here. I get most of my information from Justinweather.com along with the NHC site. I know some of you have your own trusted sources so I am curious what some of the more (historically) accurate sources have been saying specific to our area.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Keeping a close eye on it....headed to our island offshore for the weekend and Friday's boat trips could be a problem... ;-(

Wouldn't want to be in Panama City...have some friends there.

Last edited:

GregV814

Weather prognosticators are no better than 50/50.
EVERYONE PANIC!!!! For goodness sakes panic!!!!!

awpitt

Main Streeter
Didn't see a post and was surprised given it is looking to affect us in a couple of days.

Mostly rain for SoMD....

TonightA chance of showers, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 8am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 81. South wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday Night
Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Friday
Showers, mainly before 8am. High near 66. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Friday NightMostly clear, with a low around 52.

Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 62.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.265640000000076&lon=-76.45274999999998#.W74J5XtKhhE

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I hope PCB makes it out OK. Having seen the destruction from Irma, I don't wish a hurricane on anyone. That anyone would choose to ride out a storm if unimaginable. Once the shingles start flying, it's too late to bug out. A lot of people find religion that way. Oh lawdy!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know a guy that lives in Inlet Beach - on a barrier island in the path and on the "dirty side" - and he decided not to evacuate. I think he is nuts.

terbear1225

I hope PCB makes it out OK. Having seen the destruction from Irma, I don't wish a hurricane on anyone. That anyone would choose to ride out a storm if unimaginable. Once the shingles start flying, it's too late to bug out. A lot of people find religion that way. Oh lawdy!

while I whole heartenedly agree with you, it was recently brought to my attention that not everyone has the means to bug out. whether it's not owning a vehicle or not having the funds to pay for hotel/food for days on end or some other issue, it's not always a choice to stay behind.