2 Kings 10 The rest of Jehu's story

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 10:28 So Jehu destroyed Baal worship in Israel. 29 However, he did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, which he had caused Israel to commit—the worship of the golden calves at Bethel and Dan.

30 The Lord said to Jehu, “Because you have done well in accomplishing what is right in my eyes and have done to the house of Ahab all I had in mind to do, your descendants will sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.” 31 Yet Jehu was not careful to keep the law of the Lord, the God of Israel, with all his heart. He did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam, which he had caused Israel to commit.

32 In those days the Lord began to reduce the size of Israel. Hazael overpowered the Israelites throughout their territory 33 east of the Jordan in all the land of Gilead (the region of Gad, Reuben and Manasseh), from Aroer by the Arnon Gorge through Gilead to Bashan.

34 As for the other events of Jehu’s reign, all he did, and all his achievements, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel?

35 Jehu rested with his ancestors and was buried in Samaria. And Jehoahaz his son succeeded him as king. 36 The time that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty-eight years.​

So God used Jehu to get rid of Ahab and Jezebel. I didn't expect the Splat part. I must have missed that the first time through. I know I never learned it in Sunday School. I bet if we told the bored teens in our churches what is really in the old Testament... they wouldn't have such a hard time staying in church. I mean... in the last few days the commentary reminded us that men peed on walls and then when they threw Jezebel out the window... she went splat. That's right up there with video games stuff.

Jehu didn't clean up all the churches though. There were still those golden calves in the temples in Israel thanks to Jeroboam's insecurity. Jeroboam didn't want his people from Israel going to Jerusalem to worship the one true God. So he built a couple of fake temples and put some pretty golden calves in them for the people to worship. Those fake temples must have had some great marketing because they were the downfall of every king after they were built.

This is from gotquestions.org.

Jehu left no man standing who was in alliance with King Ahab, as God had commanded long before through Elijah. Entering the temple of Baal, Jehu slaughtered all the priests of Baal and destroyed the temple and its sacred stone, thus eradicating Baal worship in Israel (2 Kings 10:23–28).

The Lord blessed Jehu for his obedience, granting him a dynasty that would last to the fourth generation (2 Kings 10:30). However, because Jehu continued to hold on to the idolatrous worship of King Jeroboam, God began to reduce the size of Israel, gradually giving them over to the power of even Hazael of Syria. Jehu reigned over Israel a total of twenty-eight years and was succeeded by his son Jehoahaz .​

I think it might be a good time to look at a map.

2 kings 10.jpg

We need to remember here.... before Jehu killed them, Joram and Ahaziah had formed an unholy alliance. They were fighting Hazael king of Aram [Syria]. When Jehu killed those two Baal worshiping morons.... the war with Hazael went on without them. God really wanted every bit of the influence of Ahab and Jezebel wiped out. So... in verses 32 & 33 the Bible says "the Lord began to reduce the size of Israel".

:coffee: