Revelation 6 "The big one"

seekeroftruth

Revelation 6:12 I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, 13 and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. 14 The heavens receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

15 Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and everyone else, both slave and free, hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16 They called to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us[f] from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! 17 For the great day of their[g] wrath has come, and who can withstand it?”​

f. Revelation 6:16 See Hosea 10:8.
g. Revelation 6:17 Some manuscripts his

As I write this.... a hurricane just ran up the east coast. It played around in the gulf at first... people thought it was just going to be a wind and rain even that would peter out. Instead, it became a strong cat 4 and plowed through the panhandle of Florida, razing everything in its path.... then still strong, tore through Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia.... all the way to Lusby where it still had the strength to topple trees and crown everyone with acorns and hickory nuts.

I wonder... how many people yelled out.... "Oh My God" in the path of that hurricane. I wonder... how many of them knew God before that hurricane came into their lives. I wonder.... how many people found God in that storm. Do you think it might be one in seven?

The easy English site isn't much help today.

The ancient people had a tradition. They believed that the stars would fall from the sky. When this happened, the end of the world would come.

The sky disappeared as if God had rolled it up. The mountains and islands moved.

Stars cannot fall to the earth. The sky cannot disappear like a scroll. This is the language of poetry. It shows how awful these events will be. They will come before the Lord returns to the earth. But it is not just poetry. It tells about real events that will happen in the skies.

At these terrible events, all the people on earth were afraid. They cried out in terror. They tried to hide from God and from the Lord Jesus. They tried to escape from the anger of God and of the Lamb. They would rather die than meet with God.

In the end, there will be no place to hide. All will have to meet with God. And, in that day, God will be their judge. This will be the day of God’s anger. And the Lamb will be angry with all those who are on the earth. Nobody will be able to escape from the fierce anger of God and of the Lamb.​

In yesterday's Bible study.... Jesus was waiting for something... all the souls hadn't been gathered. Jesus was saying "give me a minute". God's going to send an earthquake so bad.... it'll reshape everything.... I guess one or more of those plates is going to slip and all heck will break out.

Amazingdiscoverie.org is sticking with the church theme.

The 6th Seal: The End-Time Church, Mid 1700s-The Second Coming of Christ. This seal corresponds to the time of both the church of Philadelphia and the church of Laodicea. Under the sixth seal the language shifts from symbolic horses and souls to literal signs and disasters. The prophecy says “there was a great earthquake,” “the sun became black as sackcloth,” “the moon became as blood,” and “the stars of heaven fell.” These signs have all received a striking and impassive fulfillment.

On November 1, 1755, Lisbon, Portugal was the center of a tremendous earthquake. Its effects were felt over an area of 4 million square miles. On May 19, 1780 beginning around 9:00 AM. heavy black clouds blotted out the sun drawing the dark of night over New England. That night, when the darkness finally lessened and the moon appeared, it had the appearance of blood. November 13, 1833, brought the most extensive display of falling stars which has ever been recorded. These are the same signs that Jesus gave to let us know when His coming would be near. Matthew 24:29-30.​

In the regular Bible Study from Genesis to today [2 Kings] we've seen God do all kind of things. He's destroyed cities with fire from the sky [Sodom]. He's washed the earth [Noah]. He made a storm come through at night leaving water in the ditches and then brought up a red morning sun that made the water in the ditches appear to be blood.... so the enemy ran. There are so many other natural disasters that happened in the books up to today's study.... that using a natural disaster is almost God's signature.

This morning I was reading a book a friend of mine shared with me. The author brought up a great point. It's no wonder God doesn't rely on fear to bring us closer to Him. As soon as fear has passed... humans go on about their way and forget all about God.

Now remember.... Jesus is looking for the rest of the "full number" in the previous seal. I figure all the believers are gone from earth by the time this seal is opened. Now the only ones left are those who don't believe.

This rant is from GodVine. Here it seems to be saying that the sixth seal is the fall of Rome.

"Now," says he, "it is certain that the fall of any of these cities or kingdoms was not of greater concern or consequence to the world, nor more deserving to be described in pompous figures, than the fall of the pagan Roman empire, when the great lights of the heathen world, the sun, moon, and stars, the powers civil and ecclesiastical, were all eclipsed and obscured, the heathen emperors and Caesars were slain, the heathen priests and augurs were extirpated, the heathen officers and magistrates were removed, the temples were demolished, and their revenues were devoted to better uses. It is customary with the prophets, after they have described a thing in the most symbolical and figurative manner, to represent the same again in plainer language; and the same method is observed here, Revelation 6:15-17 : And the kings of the earth, etc. That is, Maximin, Galerius, Maxentius, Licinius, etc., with all their adherents and followers, were so routed and dispersed that they hid themselves in dens, etc.; expressions used to denote the utmost terror and confusion. This is, therefore, a triumph of Christ over his heathen enemies, and a triumph after a severe persecution; so that the time and all the circumstances, as well as the series and order of the prophecy, agree perfectly with this interpretation. Galerius, Maximin, and Licinius, made even a public confession of their guilt, recalled their decrees and edicts against the Christians, and acknowledged the just judgments of God and of Christ in their own destruction."

Yep... these are all good ideas. I mean who wouldn't prefer that this is the prophecy concerning all the pompous rich people who were running Rome and murdering Christians over a lowly earthquake. I'd like to see them get their comupins. I'd like to think that this is a last gasp to bring just enough fear in a human's life to get them to become a believer at the last minute.... those are so much better than a worldwide earthquake. Solid ground becoming water is not my idea of a fun experience to live through.

:coffee:

Last edited: