Saudi Arabia says will retaliate against any sanctions over Khashoggi case

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Khashoggi, a U.S. resident and Washington Post columnist critical of Riyadh's policies, disappeared on Oct. 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Turkey believes he was murdered and his body removed. Saudi Arabia has denied that.

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened "severe punishment" if it turns out Khashoggi was killed in the consulate, though he said Washington would be "punishing" itself if it halted military sales to Riyadh.

"The Kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether by threatening to impose economic sanctions, using political pressures, or repeating false accusations," the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) quoted an unnamed official as saying.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-says-respond-economic-sanctions-spa-112824051.html

SamSpade

Oddly enough, this is a situation that can be improved - by going to the United Nations.

Because the guy was murdered - he was never seen leaving the consulate - and Saudi is unquestionably responsible -
and they're not going to be able to shrug it off if the world condemns it. And it's just going to bite us in the ass if
we go it alone.

Hijinx

we got nothing, we should stay out of this matter ... I'm losing NO Sleep over disappearance of a Muslim Brotherhood Member

I agree with Gurps. If the Muslim run UN wants to do something about it-----------------let them.

Chris0nllyn

we should stay out of this matter

Given how you don't care about this, I was a bit surprised you started another thread about him. (The guy who joined the Muslim Brotherhood according to some crack pot source).

Regardless, does "staying out of it" include not selling Saudia Arabia weapons?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
(The guy who joined the Muslim Brotherhood according to some crack pot source).

you have something different ?

Regardless, does "staying out of it" include not selling Saudi Arabia weapons?

Um what does selling weapons have to do with how SA handles one it their citizens :shrug:

and no I don't care, selling SA weapons keeps the Muslims / Islamist's busying fighting each other - have at it

Chris0nllyn

you have something different ?

That's not how that works. Crack pot sources are the only ones reporting on that.

Um what does selling weapons have to do with how SA handles one it their citizens :shrug:

Had you bothered to read the other thread on this subject, you'd know. :yay:

and no I don't care, selling SA weapons keeps the Muslims / Islamist's busying fighting each other - have at it

That's not really "staying out of it" though, is it?

Chris0nllyn

They'll buy the weapons systems somewhere, regardless. Might as well be from us. :yay:

The Saudis haven't done a single weapons deal with the US since Trump came into office, regardless of that mysterious $110 billion deal Trump keeps talking about (and has talked about for a year now). Trump has used this $110 billion talking point to shy away from making arms deals a part of any sanctions.

Regardless, Congress will have to approve it and choose between defense contractor lobbying or ignoring an ally that allegedly killed a journalist critical of their policies.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Saudis haven't done a single weapons deal with the US since Trump came into office,

All the more reason whey we need one. Thanks for making my point. ;-) They'll buy the weapons systems somewhere, regardless. Might as well be from us.

We had a nice big deal going back when the Magic Won was prez; he managed to fawk it all up at the last minute (Fall 2013) and the Saudis picked up their marbles and went home. Lost me a bundle on that one.

Chris0nllyn

All the more reason whey we need one. Thanks for making my point. ;-) They'll buy the weapons systems somewhere, regardless. Might as well be from us.

We had a nice big deal going back when the Magic Won was prez; he managed to fawk it all up at the last minute (Fall 2013) and the Saudis picked up their marbles and went home. Lost me a bundle on that one.

Given the ever-increasing military spending, defense contractors certainly don't need it. Where else has SA bought weapons (since they haven't bought from us)?

What, specifically, did Obama #### up? Because no one sold more weapons since WWII than Obama's administration.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Given the ever-increasing military spending, defense contractors certainly don't need it. Where else has SA bought weapons (since they haven't bought from us)?

What, specifically, did Obama #### up? Because no one sold more weapons since WWII than Obama's administration.

Of course we "need it". We always need more contracts. Barry screwed up the SNEP deal, just as it was nearing completion and signatures, by thoroughly pissing off the Saudis with his love affair, coddling and sweet deals with the Saudis mortal enemy Iran. The revived version of that deal going forward now contains most of the same naval content but, unfortunately, not the 20 fast combatants that we are (were) tied to in the original deal. Lockheed still has the biggest piece of the pie..

Something a lot of people seem to miss is the fact selling our military products to as many other customers as possible helps reduce costs for our own equipment. That's just as true for a fast attack craft or frigate as it is for an F-35.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Of course we "need it". We always need more contracts. Barry screwed up the SNEP deal, just as it was nearing completion and signatures, by thoroughly pissing off the Saudis with his love affair, coddling and sweet deals with the Saudis mortal enemy Iran. The revived version of that deal going forward now contains most of the same naval content but, unfortunately, not the 20 fast combatants that we are (were) tied to in the original deal. Lockheed still has the biggest piece of the pie..

Links?

Chris0nllyn

I'm sure there are many. It was a pretty big deal then just like it is now.

There are many, just none that line up with your post. Hence why I'm asking for your proof of your statements that it was Obama's fault a deal was ruined, but not ruined and the Saudis bought equipment from the US anyway.

Given your penchant for asking the same question I did, I figure this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Where's your links
How so? Links?
We can't wait to see you links..links that support your otherwise worthless post. TIA.
Links? Shirley you must have something to back that up, amirite?

Last edited:

MiddleGround

There are many, just none that line up with your post. Hence why I'm asking for your proof of your statements that it was Obama's fault a deal was ruined, but not ruined and the Saudis bought equipment from the US anyway.

Given your penchant for asking the same question I did, I figure this shouldn't be a problem for you.

:killingme

Don't hold your breath

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There are many, just none that line up with your post.

You've not a clue, little fella. We were directly involved in the evaluation of alternatives, requirements, responses to additional technical question and changes in scope, total number of vessels and effect on costing, etc etc. Thought the ink would finally be dry in late 2013. And then it all fell apart/

Sorry sport...this is my business. You don't even have one of those. ;-)

And you...I have more respect for things I find stuck to the bottom of my shoe. You are not worth a link.