OUCH: Cherokee Nation Issues Harsh Response To Warren's DNA Test

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
While the media worked overtime to spin the Warren self-own, the Cherokee Nation issued a statement deflating such an effort, labeling the test "useless" and "inappropriate."

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship," said Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr. in the statement. "Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person's ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation."

Hoskin added, "Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is prove."

OUCH: Cherokee Nation Issues Harsh Response To Warren's DNA Test, Other Native Americans Pile On

:killingme

SamSpade

What gets me most about all this is, from the very beginning I thought - doesn't EVERYONE I KNOW have *some* Native American blood?

I do - it's not much. My grandfather's grandmother was an adopted Cherokee - which if I ever wanted to lay claim to being Cherokee, all I would
need to do is produce the documents - 1/16th Cherokee is enough. But I'm not Native American and I know nothing of their culture. What would be the point?

There's very little known about my father, as he was adopted. The latest rumor - he has since passed away, and so we know even LESS -
is that he may have been a Danish Jew. However, he was brought up as a white Presbyterian in Michigan, so he knew nothing about being
Danish or being Jewish.

Again - what's the point?

The REALLY great irony is that according to the test, her Native American DNA is *LESS* than the average American's - making her about the
WHITEST person in the Senate. That ought to make the 2020 race fun.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
What gets me most about all this is, from the very beginning I thought - doesn't EVERYONE I KNOW have *some* Native American blood?

I do - it's not much. My grandfather's grandmother was an adopted Cherokee - which if I ever wanted to lay claim to being Cherokee, all I would
need to do is produce the documents - 1/16th Cherokee is enough. But I'm not Native American and I know nothing of their culture. What would be the point?

There's very little known about my father, as he was adopted. The latest rumor - he has since passed away, and so we know even LESS -
is that he may have been a Danish Jew. However, he was brought up as a white Presbyterian in Michigan, so he knew nothing about being
Danish or being Jewish.

The REALLY great irony is that according to the test, her Native American DNA is *LESS* than the average American's - making her about the

I don't know exactly how much Cherokee runs through my veins, but I'm pretty sure it's more than Lizzie Girl, there. I can tell you approx when Cherokee married into our Scottish family, and have pictures and a paper trail to prove it. Like you, I feel there is no need. It's not who I am, and what I know about the culture is probably enough to get me called an idiot. I know more about my Scottish ancestry, and relate to it, even embrace it. However, at the end of the day, and above all else, I'm an American, and that's all that matters.

This, is written upon my heart: I do solemnly swear and affirm, that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

SamSpade

However, at the end of the day, and above all else, I'm an American, and that's all that matters..

We OFTEN tease our youngest, who is Chinese - when we say we're having Chinese food, she gets excited until we tell her that WE are having Chinese, because we are going to EAT her.

Last time, she smirked and said well, it won't be Chinese, then, because I am an American, and so it will be American food.
So I guess the joke's on us, now.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
We OFTEN tease our youngest, who is Chinese - when we say we're having Chinese food, she gets excited until we tell her that WE are having Chinese, because we are going to EAT her.

Last time, she smirked and said well, it won't be Chinese, then, because I am an American, and so it will be American food.
So I guess the joke's on us, now.

Beautiful! As it should be!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Despite the supposedly well-documented presence of a well-known native American woman way back (1600s) in my family tree, my DNA results from Ancestry.com had zero western hemisphere content of any kind. Almost 100% various western European. I have a suspicion that the claimed liaison didn't actually result in the offspring attached to my tree...LOL..

Clem72

Despite the supposedly well-documented presence of a well-known native American woman way back (1600s) in my family tree, my DNA results from Ancestry.com had zero western hemisphere content of any kind. Almost 100% various western European. I have a suspicion that the claimed liaison didn't actually result in the offspring attached to my tree...LOL..

Obviously it's not impossible to be wrong about who the father of a child is. Seems a bit harder to not be sure about the mother.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
The Cherokee Nation is being totally racist for not embracing this poor honest 1/100000 Cherokee women.

BOP

Danish or being Jewish.

What with family legend, my sibs and I determined that we are approximately 1/16 NA from 2 different tribes. I've done the ancestry. Nope, none, nada, zilch, zero. Ditto from anywhere south of France. In fact, I may be more cracker than Warren, if that's possible.

Last edited:

officeguy

Danish or being Jewish.

The point, well you could probably enroll in the Cherokee nation and then immigrate to Israel. Now there is a way to confuse people.

[culturally appropriating stereotype laden joke start]

Is your name Tonto Goldstein but your friends call you 'Bubba' ?

[/culturally appropriating sterotype laden joke stop]

SamSpade

The point, well you could probably enroll in the Cherokee nation and then immigrate to Israel. Now there is a way to confuse people.

[culturally appropriating stereotype laden joke start]

Is your name Tonto Goldstein but your friends call you 'Bubba' ?

[/culturally appropriating sterotype laden joke stop]

My dad used to tell this joke when I was younger ...

A Jewish tourist was strolling through Shanghai when he spied a synagogue. He entered and, sure enough, he found a Chinese Rabbi and a Chinese congregation. Even though he spoke no Chinese, he was touched by the service. Afterwords, the Rabbi stood by the door greeting his congregants.
When the tourist shook the Rabbi’s hand, the Rabbi asked, “You Jewish?”
The man answered, “Yes.”
The Rabbi replied, “Funny, you no look Jewish!”